Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Show Your Pedalboards (Evo) Then

Discussion in 'Bass Pedals, Effects & Preamps' started by James Hoy, Jun 11, 2009.

1. DiMarco

DiMarco nutcase Good Vibe Sponsor

So now I have a digital and an analog fxboard. Such luxury.
    Toying with different sounds is inspiring!

2. DiMarco

Yesterday I had this brainwave of a multi level board, today I decided to make it modular and use my Nano+ as the upper level . Cool idea?
    20200402_193746.jpg 20200402_193805.jpg

Madmaskbass likes this.
  3. DiMarco

Edit: Aaaaand we've got lights!

20200402_205455.jpg

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  4. DiMarco

Toying with this config right now...

20200407_181628.jpg

Cali compressor -> MS-3 -> MXR EQ
    MS-3 controls the DLS, YYZ and R. Jelly.

Madmaskbass and Bassist4Eris like this.
  5. DiMarco

So... The Dirty Little Secret sounds amazing with my Zon basses but really weak with the Fender
    The Royal Jelly responds more alike across different basses giving me the same amount of distortion on each.
    The YYZ sounds roughly the same with every bass - very SansAmp like as to be expected.

Which one is the best dirtbox? I honestly do not know. Can't choose.
    The DLS did surprise me there though, I have had this pedal for a looooong time and never used it much. It mimics the sound of a Marshall Super Bass 100.
    Apparently Super Bass 100 amps sound really creamy with a nice gurgling girth on top. I like it!

Madmaskbass and Bassist4Eris like this.
  6. Madmaskbass

Madmaskbass Supporting Member

I like the bottom layout definitely. Would be a hugely versatile board like that. Happy enough with the MS3 for effects?

Here is mine in its current state and probably going to lock this setup in and add a second board that is focused around my new Pedal the KMA Tyler Freq Splitter. Play with other fuzz and dirt with that thing. Super happy with my layout and the Lebass did exactly what i wanted it to and more.. i really love the cold fusion it responds really well to dynamics and sounds better when digging in. The darkglass dirt doesn't do this as much. Great to have both 20200325_222736 (2).jpg

ectoflanger and Bassist4Eris like this.
  7. DiMarco

20200730_125253.jpg
    New poly tuner. The Korg pitchblack was having trouble tracking low B and sticking to it. This one is better.

Also new Giygas fuzz. It has that creamy organic fuzz love going on. Has an internal switch and 40hz trimpot to enable its bass specific mode. It does a great job at beastie boys (sabotage, gratitude)

Compressor before anything else to boost the signal to make the Alpha-Omicron sit better with passive basses. Royal Jelly for mild distortion, Muse fizzy fuzz and over the top (Blur Song 2) fuzz filth.

So yeah. Still lots of dirt. Modulation fx are forbidden on bass.

ectoflanger and Hardy like this.
  8. DiMarco

Had band rehearsals tonight. The Giygas is AWESOME and will stay on the board. Royal Jelly is moving to the guitar rig.

Bassist4Eris and ectoflanger like this.
  9. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris

Steve Gregory
    Now I have Giygasgas

10. JamHandy

JamHandy

I really truly ooly tried to like the Lovepedal Rubber Chicken auto-wah but it just turned out to be a big fail for me. No matter how I fanaggled the knobs it came up sounding like bee poop. First, it really sucked that the only place I could put it on my board was first. Otherwise it made farts and burps and all kinds of unwanted crap sounds. Second, it was way too much trebly sounding. It lacked anyway to get the "heel down" depth of a regular wah. Not long after trying everything I could think to try...

,,, I took it to Guitar Center to get rid of it. I caught it on a Lovepedal Friday Facebook sale for $75 brand new, and GC gave me $80 for it... haha... so I made 5 bucks on it.

Glad its gone.

I've also changed my mind about getting the Strymon Mobius. I am going with several Source Audio One Series pedals. VERY easy to use right out of the box, and if you want to dive deep, their (free) Neuro Desktop editor takes you into depth with tons of extra algorithms. For example, the One Series L.A. Lady Overdrive has 50 overdrive/fuzz/distortion/bass distortion/preamp algorithms to call up if you plug in via USB. It has 6 presets you can load onboard, or... if you go with their Neuro Hub and connect it to a MIDI controller, you then have 128 presets...

I had a real crap experience with a BOSS RV-500 pedal. I put it on layaway thru a store up north without ever plugging one in. Certain peoploe raved about that reverb... yuck... right out of the box all 12 presets sucked bad... I needed the shimmer reverb and the factory out of the box was totally out of control.

Looking at the front of the unit, the interface was not one bit intuitive. And the only way yo get anything different out of the thing was to sit down for days and days with the War and Peace sized manual. ZERO "how to" YouTubes... and totally useless "videos" on the BOSS page... no narration, just a red circle around a knob or doo dad and like you're supposed to be a freaking mind reader of the engineers and know exactly what they meant by stupid red cricles.

Couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Sold it wholesale to Sam Ash for $180.

Bought first the Source Audio Nemesis delay, then soon after their Ventris dual reverb... wow wow wow... excellent beuatiful delays and revebrs right out of the box. SUPER easy interface that was easy to get my head around being an old school stomp box guy. Didn't need a PhD in computer pedals to figure out how to get excellent sounds out of them ON DAY ONE.

So I said to hell with the BOSS 500/200 series and to hell with Strymon (OMG, the sacriledge). I just ordered 5 more of their pedals and the Neuro Hub... and I am a tried and true full blown Source Audio convert.

This scale model will be my new board once the SA pedals arrive...
    Pedalboard 7-24-20 (proposed scale model).jpg

Also adding the Disaster Area DPC-5 Gen 3 MIDI Controller. They were out of them at my local store, so there is one on order. It has send/return looping (x'2 5) plus is a MIDI controller. PLUS has a really small footprint to save real estate on the Pedaltrain Classic 2.

The intent (why so many) is for lead guitar work at church for praise and worship cover music. When I played at a mega church up north, they wanted it "just like the CD/mp3 so I had to have one of each kind of effect. Plus I'm a gear addict and pedals are my thing.

I really don't like the Line 6 Helix idea, or even a Kemper Profiler Stage (their new all-in-one profiler/floorboard) or a Fractal anything. I just hate to think I'd have to spend hours and hours of butt time in a manual to get the first sound. The BOSS RV-500 steered me clear of any further grouchy techno devices.

Source Audio One Series pedals are designed for guys like me who were single stomp box guys... then they made the interface easy to manipulate, and still can go deep with the desktop editor, plus they can go even deeper and go MIDI.

I found my brand.

As far as Line 6, I seriously hate the way they do business. Their stuff is (to me) super over-engineered. I remember when they came out with the M13 huge thing... I thought to myself "who's gonna buy that huge thing?" But go to a gear forum that has Line 6 groupies and it was the best thing since sliced bread. Now what I really hare about Line 6 is they marketed that thing as the end all of everything a guy just HAD TO HAVE... Maybe I borrowed Superman's x-ray vision or something but I just wasn't sold.

Then there were the POD all-in-one boards... several iterations of those, each out-dating the last over and over. Now this Helix thing in like I don't know how many different versions. Helix, Helix LT, Helix Stomp (pardon me while I lean over the bow of this ship and puke...)

Give me Source Audio or give me death, LOL... and get that Helix thing out of \my sight... yuck...

Surely just around the corner Line 6 will have the NEXT latest greatest thing you JUST GOTTA HAVE that will out-date all the Helix gear... give it a year or two, and they will be trying to market their next crap at you... not for me.

Madmaskbass likes this.
  11. Madmaskbass

Love my source Audio gear but don't use it as much as I thought i would...still very happy with it especially love the Nemesis! I have also owned the DPC5 and it is pretty awesome aswell. Mine randomly died and i still need to work with DA to fix it up. I ended up going with Morningstar and that was truly next level.

Can I make a small suggesting with your layout as I honestly have a similar style setup (look a few posts up) I would move the Hub up to second row as it has no stomp on it and also think about the midi cabling run because they can be a pain moreso than power and signal because the chord and plug is bigger. I would personally swap the 2250 controller for it so you have better stomp access. Also if you are running Vertigo and Nemesis on sperate midi (which is recommended) your'e gonna need much more space than that for them.

12. PaulS

PaulS Supporting Member Good Vibe Sponsor

@Madmaskbass how is the Morningstar working for you? I don’t really love the Disaster Area midi controller I have. Thinking about getting a different one.

13. JamHandy

JamHandy

Thanks for the tips...

...there is yet another place to put the Neuro Hub... throw some Velcro on it and put it on the underside of the board, freeing up all that space... that way the Vertigo or one of the single pedal size One Series units can go on the middle row sideways, and the 22500 foot ontroller can go up front (I like that idea)

I already have a Strymon Zuma and a GFI Cabzeus on the underside (if using a Pedaltrain board with the Zuma, you need a 6-5/8" x 3-5/8" piece of 1/2" plywood under the Zuma (when using all Velcro) or else the Strymon engineers didn't think ahead of which boards these PSUs would go on, there is not clearance on a Pedaltrain board to align the IEC cable on the Zuma. Very stupid design... howbeit Voodoo Labs Pedal Powers fit perfectly once Velcroed under neath the Pedaltrain boards... ) I don't go the $20 Strymon cage mount thing because I have more than one board and just one (expensive) power supply. Velcroing it to the bottom is much faster than dinking around with screws (and drills and other mechanical items, of which I am severely mechanically challenged, haha) in order to mount the stupid cage. Even with the Voodoo Lab PSUs, Velcro the width of the PSU and its not coming off, you'll need to pry it off to get it off.

Here's the bottom of my board (so far)... in case anyone is wondering, when the board is flat and standing on it rubber feet, there is plenty of clearance for the full sized GFI Cabzeus... I'm thinking anything else that is "always on" can go down here, too... The little squares are computer case cable anchors that make handy little tie down with a few cable ties to keep the patch cables and power cable runs tidy.
    Pedalboard 3-14-20 - 02 back.JPG

Bassist4Eris and PaulS like this.
  14. JamHandy

JamHandy

As far as MIDI cables, there are a few out there designed to make pedalboarding a bit more user friendly...
    OneControl makes their right angled "MIDI Hammer" in various sizes which you can unscrew and spin around to fit your fancy:
    MIDI Hammer Cable — ONECONTROL

Sweetwater carries them in different lengths:
    one control midi hammer cable | Sweetwater

EBS also has a compact MIDI cable choice:
    EBS BlueDot Midi Cables |

As far as 1/4" patch cables... EBS and Hosa both make a flat right angle cable in several sizes...
    PCF-DL - The Original Flat Patch Cable from EBS |

Flat Guitar Patch Cable - Instrument Cables | Hosa Cables

EBS (I noticed) has some flat DC power distribution cables, too
    DC Power Distribution |

15. Nightmaresandconclusions

Nightmaresandconclusions

new board.jpg Just added a new boss eq-200 to my setup. I can now save and recall eq and gain settings between my basses, sounds good and works great. The four memory slots will be for my stage one 6 string, fretless corvette, CR5M electric upright and Alien acoustic.

Sorted.

20200817_210017.jpg

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    Bassist4Eris likes this.
  16. Madmaskbass

Huge upgrade in usability and control from the Disaster area. Mainly due to the details in the screen. Working with the tiny 5 config screen on the DPC-5 is annoying. I think the morningstar gear is as good as it gets for me.

PaulS likes this.
  17. PaulS

PaulS Supporting Member Good Vibe Sponsor

Thanks @Madmaskbass I’ve been watching videos. I love the fact that you can hook it to the computer to program it, and I think the screen will help me understand what the hell I’m doing lol. The guys at Disaster have been helpful but often what they tell me to do doesn’t produce real world results. This is mostly for playing at home but I’ve started doing stuff online with my drummer with the timeline looper and on the go changes that I can understand easily are what I need.

18. Bademeister

Bademeister Supporting Member

Jens
    NPBD: new pedalboard day
    I wasn‘t really into effects, just used the Zoom B3 for some special situations.
    Then I got myself two nice Darkglass pedals, the Hyper Luminal compressor and the Vintage Microtubes overdrive.
    The latest stage is this pedalboard, that I got in this configuration via ebay. I will probably change the Metal Core against the VMT (I am not that metal core...), and the Mooer Noise Killer against the compressor (should not be required without the Metal Core).
    I hope I can keep further PAS under control

1B2A63A8-F265-4F79-AC42-9B4DFD9581DD.jpeg

Bassist4Eris and Nachobassman like this.
  19. Bademeister

Bademeister Supporting Member

Jens
    Well, this seems to become a little project: the Boss ML-2 Metal Core has to go, I already put it up on eBay. It sucks up too much bass and is above the range of distortion I usually need. I put the Vintage Microtubes into it's place, but the output and power jacks on the Darkglass pedal are so different from the Boss that I have to get new patchcables etc. Why don't they stick to some standard layout... I still have an Boss ODB-3 distortion pedal lying around that I might add to the VMT.
    The DigiTech Drop is fun and probably a great pedal for guitar, but shifting down more than a semitone takes away a lot of my nice Warwick bass sound. So it will probbaly also need to go.

20. Stainless

Stainless

former birthplace of Warwick: Franconia, Germany
    I can't really recommend the ODB-3, i had one on my board in the early days.