Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Show Your Pedalboards (Evo) Then

Discussion in 'Bass Pedals, Effects & Preamps' started by James Hoy, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Nachobassman

Nachobassman Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!

Looks like a cool documentary.

PS. I still think we live in a pedal-market bubble and it will blow up one of this days. I mean, how many moar pedals and how many moar pedal companies could coexist. :D

2. Foal30

Foal30

On the balance of play I think us Bassplayers have been in blessed times with the Pedal market.

Free the Tone
    Diamond
    Wounded Paw

Wouldn't be without mine.

3. jcburn

jcburn

Latest version....really happy with the MXR chorus, MXR envelope filter and the Shift Line Cabzone cab emulator.

I'm really set on this board except the B7K.....I use it through the clean channel of the Billy Sheehan mostly just for EQ so the rest is a little superfluous..... I will probably end up grabbing a dedicated bass distortion and move it off.

Attached Files:

Bassist4Eris likes this.
  4. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris

Steve Gregory
    You should check out the MXR Bass Distortion. I see you like some of their other pedals. It's probably the best bass distortion I've ever tried.

Boyitz and jcburn like this.
  5. DiMarco

DiMarco nutcase Good Vibe Sponsor

les-pedals-march-2020.jpg

March 2020 version.

EQ -> Comp -> Fuzz/OD -> TremoLo -> Tuner.

Going through a phase where I want the tone of my bass to shine through 100%.
    This means I am not using the VT amp, I am not using the DG X Ultra and I am not using the Le Bass pre. All because those colour the sound too much right now.
    The pedalboard goes straight into the LWA-1000, which has its EQ settings neutral and its onboard compressor off.
    Once the Trace Elliot Hexa Valve is fixed the LWA will be backup amp again.

I am using the MXR EQ with all my basses, cutting over 6 decibels around 31 hertz and boosting bass a tiny bit from 62-134 hertz. This means the unwanted sub lows are removed, making life easier on the amp and speakers because they don't waste their energy on unwanted rumble below the usable spectrum.

The Royal Jelly handles all my dirty tones "Time is running out", "Song 2", "Sabotage", "Feel the Pain" and "Roundabout" well so that's all I need in the dirt department.
    TremoLo is for the works in progress "Heart of the Sunrise" and "Starship trooper" - kicking it in brings instant seventies prog atmosphere to the mix.

Small tuner pedal because the regular pitchblack which is better for bass did not fit.

Bassist4Eris likes this.
  6. Nieltse

Nieltse

Very nice and 'simple' like it alot!
    Been eyeballing the MXR eq for a while now, looks like it's really worth the investment :)

7. JamHandy

JamHandy

OK, so this Frankenstein looking thing is actually a testing board. This is (almost) every pedal I own on one board. Turned sideways, squished in there some way... haha...

Not on the board but in my possession:
    - foot controller for the EHX 22500 looper
    - foot controller for the Digitech JamMan SoloXT looper
    - GFI System Cabzeus speaker simulator and direct box
    - Fultone Clyde Deluxe wah wah
    - BOSS FV-500H volume pedal
    - TC Electronic BodyRez (for acoustic guitar)

I wanted a way to test distortions/overdrives against each other (A/B style), and various modulation and delay/looper pedals side by side all in one spot... so here is the result of several hours of fidgeting around with different positions, sideways angles and patch cables. This is all plugged in start to finish with patch cables, but I don't have power hooked in just yet, That'll have to be tomorrow's fun...

The path is something like this...

Korg Pitchblack tuner >> Diamond compressor >> 5 OD/Distortions >> 4 types of modulation >> 4 types of delays (some have looping capability) >> 4 types of loopers (some are delays, too) >> one Lovepedal Rubber Chicken auto wah (so I can experiment with it and see if I can find a use-able sound, or do I sell it) >> 2 types of boost pedal, one before the loopers, one after the loopers >> and BOSS RV-500 and a pear tree... LOL...

Cool thing is... I can power this entire doo-dad board with ONE Strymon Zuma power supply... (WHAT ??)... yes, you have to know something about which pedals don't have very much milliamps (mA) of power draw,,, each output on the Zuma delivers 500mA of power. So by using a couple of daisy chain cables I can power several low mA pedals from one 500mA output.

One problem with the Zuma is... the morons who engineered the case the thing comes in didn't consider a Pedaltrain board installation when they designed where the IEC power cable comes into the box... so I had to velcro a 1/2 inch hunk of plywood the same footprint as the bottom of the Zuma to the bottom of the Zuma, then velcro that whole thing to the underside of the Pedaltrain Pro board... as smart as the guys at Strymon seem to be, it would seem like before they finalized their design for their top shelf power supply, they would have tried it out in several boards for fit. Like a Pedaltrian board that is one of the most popular boards out there.

NOT... I think this is the only thing I'd have to give Strymon the 2020 Dubass Award for... oh, they sell a bracket for $20... weeee... you don't need a bracket when you have Velcro... try prying the Velcro attached thing off once its on... yup, no bracket needed...

Here it is without any further ado-doo... haha... what a freaking monstrosity.... haha But I can finally move it around and try all my distortions and other pedals side by side... (No, Virginia, I do not intend to lug this monster to gigs... hahahahaha -- why do I know somebody is going to say "that's too much stuff"... haha)

Hey, that's too much stuff (beat ya too it... LOL)

(If MAP had been paid, I have around $5,300 worth (if bought new) in pedals, pedalboards and power supply, not counting cables.,,. )

I didn't pay new for anything...

DSCF1109---this one.JPG

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    PaulS and Bassist4Eris like this.
  8. JamHandy

JamHandy

For you folks who like to read through a chain of effects... here is what's what start to finish...

- Korg Pitchblack Tuner
    - Diamond CPR-1 Compressor
    - JHS Bonsai (multiple TS-808 versions in one pedal)
    - Whirlwind Gold Box Distortion
    - JHS Angry Charlie V2
    - 1979 (original) ProCo Rat Distortion (had it since new in 1979)
    - Electro-Harmonix Pitch Fork Pitch Shift (used mostly for bass emulations when looping, at least so far)
    - Behringer VP-1 Vintage Phaser
    - Source Audio Orbital Modulator
    - DLS Effects Versa Vibe
    - Electro-Harmonic Lester G Rotary Speaker Emulator
    - Lovepedal Rubber Chicken Auto Wah/Envelope Filter
    - Decibel 11 Time After Time Analog Delay
    - TC Electronic Rush Boost (pre looper so solos can be louder when the looper is engaged and solos are played)
    - Akai Headrish E2 Looper/Tape/Digital Delay
    - TC Electronic Flashback Delay & Looper
    - Electro-Harmonix 22500 Looper
    - Digitech JamMan Solo XT Looper
    - Cusack More Louder (boost) post-looper booster
    - BOSS RV-500 Reverb

Not present on picture day (but in my stash):

- foot controller for the EHX 22500 looper
    - foot controller for the Digitech JamMan SoloXT looper
    - GFI System Cabzeus speaker simulator and direct box
    - Fultone Clyde Deluxe wah wah
    - BOSS FV-500H volume pedal
    - TC Electronic BodyRez (for acoustic guitar)
    - $28,800 worth of guitars, basses and amps... LOL.....

PaulS and Bassist4Eris like this.
  9. DiMarco

So did you follow a tapdancing course in order to be able to operate that? Holy shizzle!

And the winning OD pedal is which?

Luc67 likes this.
  10. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris

Steve Gregory
    Reminds me of this. :cool:

11. Madmaskbass

Madmaskbass Supporting Member

Going through a bit of a tough time at the moment...What better way to get your head off things than blow money on changing up the pedalboard!!

So I recently sold my big tube monster..for a profit mind you...another story and I got the Darkglass Euryale M900 to replace it. The day after my Disaster area switcher decided to give up on life. I didn't mind it but it was a quirky bit of gear that had too many complicated options for a 4 digit screen...the search was on and i ended up getting a good deal on a morningstar MC6.

The MC6 is absolutely night and day 10000 times easier and more intuitive than the Disaster Area DPC5. I totally love it. I added the 3 foot switch to expand it out and it's even better. The Darkglass head has midi so i can use the functions built into the midi controller. Comp and change the dirts and mute.

Anyway that was the start of the next phase lol. So the other thing i did was run my delay and H9 in effects loop which was a great addition. I have really been playing around with my fuzz settings in the Nemesis lately but cannot access them without the dip switch. So the Source audio hub was next to access the 128 presets of my Nemesis and Lunar. Very excited about adding that to the mix. I have decided to park the Redwitch at this stage but if the Fuzz on the Nemesis isn't enough then i will try to add some real fuzz back.

So from there i was missing the ability to control my analog pedals and missed the switching function of the DPC. Morningstar has a nifty little simple switcher the ML5 which i am planning to mount under my board and cut out a small section to access the button functions of it. This way all the cables and mess is hidden under the board but I still get the functions...Thats the plan anyway. This will make all my analog loops midi controllable in the MC6.

Sooooo....FROM THERE i am badly missing the warmth of tubes, especially with the very bright monster that is my 8x10 Mesa. The v8 trace really thickened up the cab and i miss this a bit. Sooooo the search for tube something was on and I have just impulse bought the Two Notes Le Bass because i always loved the idea of it but again i can add it to my midi world and that is a very cool thing.

SOOOOO from there...of course i don't have enough power so i needed to add a bigger power supply as my Cioks ADAM and Schizophrenic doesn't do it. The Schizo has a IEM out so i am adding a DC10 which gives me heaps more power alongside the Schizo.

I think once this thing is done i will get the courage and do a board run through on video because the way that it all works together is really nifty! Very excited about comparing the Darkglass to the Lebass and hope it gives me at least some of what i want. The 3 midi selectable cab sims on the DG head should be a great workaround for the Lebass cab sim that is supposedly not great.

Here's the mock up and the board as it stands. The space above the AOU should fit the hub and the little space next to the Nemesis is where I will cut for the Switcher. its only tiny. Getting pretty cramped now lol.

Cheers sorry for long winded rubbish just killing time and keeping my brain busy.

download (2).jpg 88972942_527186234883746_3581728327993393152_n.jpg

Bassist4Eris likes this.
  12. DiMarco

Looks pretty neat!
    I added an effect pedal looper with 111 built-in effects and 3 external fx loops today.
    Am trying to figure out how to hook it up as the whole concept of using a looper changes everything.

Will update when I figured out what's the most practical way of setting this up. Right now it just feels like too many options.

The whole idea is using my pedals in 'preset' configurations so I can switch without thinking when I am up there on stage.

13. JAM

JAM

Here's mine. It's pretty compact and it has Cioks DC5 power adapter underneath the Pedaltrain nano.

petskut.jpg

14. JamHandy

JamHandy

(ps, I am a guitar guy hiding out on a bass forum who also plays bass...LOL)

DiMarco... by far my favorite OD is the JHS Bonsai. 9 x TS-808 types in one pedal. New they are in the $229.00 range, but a local guy helped me steal his for only $100... I raced down to St. Augsutine (from Jacksonville, FL) to snatch it up before he changed his mind... haha. I doubt I would have ever discovered the Bonsai at the $229 price... but for $100, I discovered heaven. (complete with the box and the red shredded fuzzy stuff JHS packs inside there pedal boxes, lol... and the JHS sticker... weeee)

I'm not even a TS-anything fan and never was. Never bought into the "OMG, Stevie Ray Vaughan used a TS-808" (or something... could have cared less)

But when the dust settles, and the all-of-my-pedals-at-once trial is finished, the Bonsai is going to take the #1 spot.

- I love my Lovepedal Kanji 9 (dead center, 2nd row, Motor City Guitar (Waterford, MI) 25th anniversary version, only 10 ever made in red and black, 150 or so made in white and black, same innereds as a standard Lovepedal Kanji 9) (Sean and Lovepedal are just down the street from MCG, and they have been buddies for years) (very close 2nd runner up to the Bonsai)... lot's of choices for tone and gain. This was my #1 before I discovered the Bonsai.
    - I love my JHS Angry Charlie (dead center, front row)... like a Marshall stack in a pedal... if you like the Marshall sound, all the raw cranked sound you want... went with this over the normal "Charlie Brown" from JHS... didn't make any sense to me to buy the Charlie Brown and not have the extra high gain as well... with the Angry Charlie, you can dial it down and get the Charlie Brown sound, then rip the lid off and do high gain heaven, and everything in between. (was my #2 after the Lovepedal until the Bonsai came along, now it slides in at #3)

Bassist4Eris likes this.
  15. JamHandy

JamHandy

At the moment, I am working at wittling the above conglomeration of gobble-dee-gook down to this more steamlined board on a Pedaltrain Classic 2... much more practical...

I currently have everything but the Strymon Mobius and the Source Audio Ventris Reverb

I still haven't figured out the EHX 22500 Looper, but it will be a day of manual studying and emails and forum readings and YouTube watchings (maybe) to "get it" Currently it is so complicated right out of the box that I can't even do a single loop... haha -- So it may go the way of the doh-doh bird if I can't "get it" after one good hard day of study...

This is a spreadhseet template I use (and can show you how to make) if you like fiddling around with different pedal configs... yeah, yeah, yeah I know... there are things like this on the Internet (how boring and un-creative)... but this one let's you take the exact pedals you have (which is funner-est) no matter how weird or exotic of the pedal (as long as you can find a good top-down picture), not just similar shaped ones... all you have to do is (first) use a photo editor to close-crop the picture as close to the pedal sides as possible, insert the picture to Excel, and then change right-click on the picture in Excel and change its size in Properties to the exact size of the pedal board or the pedal... Here's one example... when I'm done fidgeting around, this might be my next use-able board...

The BOSS volume pedal and the Fulltone Wah are off the side of the board, and added with patch cables if I need to use them...

Everything is exact scale size...

Screenshot_4 possible PB.jpg

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    Bassist4Eris likes this.
  16. JamHandy

JamHandy

OK, so my last post was a screen print of the Excel file I use to plan my pedalboard(s)... each pedal is a top-down close-cropped JPGs of all of the exact pedals I wanted to use, and behind is an exact scale-sized Pedaltrain Classic 2

I ordered the Strymon Mobius today, it should be here any day... it is the only pedal of this designed board I don't have right at the moment...

Here is the actual pedalboard assembled, with all patch and power cables in (front) - There is a power cable velcroed on and waiting for the Mobius to arrive... the only change I decided to make when I was wiring it together was to move the light blue chiclet-sized Cusack More Louder boost over to the left side of the board... everything else is nearly exactly as I planned it with my scale-sized Excel file (I don't have the wah or the volume pedal laying on the floor...)
    Pedalboard 3-14-20 - 01 front.JPG

The back has usefulness, too... its where I have 2 spacers of 1/2" plywood under the Zuma power supply and the GFI Cabzeus (speaker simulator and direct box) so that I can reach the connectors.... plus, using computer case anchors and small plastic tie downs, everything is neat and clean...

Pedalboard 3-14-20 - 02 back.JPG

In order to get the connectors for the Zuma and the Cabzeus up and out of the frame of the Pedaltrain, I cut 2 pieces of 1/2" plywood, then made a velcro sandwich which boosted the 2 devices up and away from the frame. On the front of the board the Zuma IEC power connector now clears the Pedaltrain frame, and the Cabzeus has XLR outs, a headphone jack, and that is where the MIDI cable and the 9v power supply cables plugs in, all are now accessible through the front rails of the board.

Time to test it out and wake up my noisy-aZZed neighbors... who's kids scream and shout all damn day long, who's teenage kids rev their damned rice burner farty fart exhaust Hondas all damn day long (I think ... yes, their penis is the size of their pinky finger)... and on any given Friday or Saturday night this hwhole family of a-holes set a karaoke machine outside and sing extremely off-key and in Spanish... some kind of Clockwork Orange makes me puke kind of really super bad karaoke...

So, yes, I am going to crank this fudder up and it is 12:13am.... hahahaha

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
    Bassist4Eris likes this.
  17. JamHandy

JamHandy

For anyone curious, here is the black diagram thing of what pedal is what... (starting in the lower right)

Korg Pitchblack Poly Tuner >> Diamond CPR-1 Compressor >> JHS Bonsai (9 different TS-808s types in one box) >> Lovepedal Kanji 9 Overdrive) >> Electro-Harmonix Pitch Fork harmonizer (does an "ok" sub up and sub down or both at the same time, plus some harmony stuff) >> Lovepedal Rubber Chicken Auto-Wah/Envelope Filter >> Cusack More Louder Boost** >> [[not pictured, Strymon Mobius Modulation pedal]] >> Source Audio Nemesis Delay >> Source Audio Ventris Dual reverb >> TC Electronic Rush Boost*** >> Electro-Harmonix 22500 Looper >> (then on the back) >> GFI Cabzeus Speaker Simulator/Direct Box

** I use the Cusack More Louder boost as a (mostly) always-on boost after the tone stack as a small amount of beef to my signal. It sort-of-kind-of evens out my signal and pushes a nice warm pop to the front of my amp. Nothing over-board, just a little bit of a boost, and for the most part, its always on...

*** The TC Rush boost is there to be used with the looper. Once I lay down a rhythm pattern with the looper, in order to play an improvised solo over top of the loop, I add just enough boost to kick the solo over the top of the rhythm part...

Starting with the Strymon Mobius (ordered it today, should be here any day) the signal goes in mono and comes out stereo through the rest of the pedals all the way to the house mix out of the Cabzeus. Right now the way it is wired, it is only wired in mono the whole way. My intention for the Cabzeus is to use this board on stage for praise and worship music, where a low stage volume is desired, and no amplifier is used... I can also play live with a band minus the Cabzeus and use 2 amplifiers instead and still go stereo... or I can turn the the whole thing off and take a nap... haha ... so many choices......

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  18. JamHandy

JamHandy

Here is a Source Audio Ventris Dual Reverb for sale on Reverb (the single Reverb selling spot, LOL)... I am not connected to this seller in any way... except that I had contacted him about buying his unit... by the time he got back to me someone was supposed to buy his unit... then on Reverb I found another unit that happened to be here local in Jacksonville, FL... so I bought that one yesterday monring... meanwhile the hose bag that had at first told this guy he was going to buy his Ventris backed out of the deal. (I really hate when that happens).. so I promised this guy I'd tell folks about his used Ventris...

"...and a partidge in a pear tree"... (whew, that was a long sentence... had to take a deep breath before starting that and after it was finished...)

Here's his Ventris for sale...

Source Audio SA262 Ventris Dual Reverb | Selling gear I don't use anymore and it's all awesome! | Reverb

Madmaskbass likes this.
  19. JamHandy

JamHandy

In case anybody else has had the opportunity to buy or try out the Lovepedal Rubber Chicken auto-wah/envelope filter...

...I discovered tonight that it needs to be the first pedal on your board. I had it running after an always-on compressor and it sounded like butt... I turned off everything but the Chicken and tried it... wow, very nice bawk bawk bawk wah wah wah...

So, I just swapped it with my tuner since it doesn't matter where the tuner is in the chain...

VOILA....

Frickaseed fried chicken caserole...

Now before the compressor, it works fine, before OD's it works fine...

Bawk bawk...

Bassist4Eris, Madmaskbass and DiMarco like this.
  20. DiMarco

20200329_160418.jpg

I took the time to really get to terms with the internal effects of my Boss MS-3, which has three separate external fx loops which I am currently not utilizing.
    So today I found out that when you tweak the tone controls of the built-in bass (yes it has specific bass fx!) OD, dist and fuzz a little bit they can sound very, VERY good! Especially for a multi-fx unit.

So there it is. I will experiment with it without any external pedals and see how it fares inside the band (if we ever get to practice again this year that is). Yes. Marco is using digital dirt for now.

#Flabbergasted

I built two banks of presets: The first has clean, clean suboctave, overdrive and distortion assigned to the 4 knobs. The second has sounds for specific songs assigned to them: Yes - Heart of the Sunrise, Muse - Plugin Baby, Tool - Forty six and two, Blur - Song 2.

All preset have this chain of effects: Noise suppressor, Compressor, dirt/octaver, the three external loops, modulation 1, modulation 2, delay, reverb, master EQ. Except for the Plugin Baby which has heavy fuzz so does not need the compressor.

In all cases I have set the compressor type to 'Orange' which is modelled after the Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer pedal. It sounds thick and warm but stays articulate.
    I added the MXR ten band EQ to cut sub-lows and boost lows, making life easier on my amplifiers and speakers.

Since every preset starts with the noise suppressor my rig is completely silent when I do not play, no matter how noisy the preset is.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    Luc67 and Bassist4Eris like this.