=The Warwick Thumb Club=

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
2nd layer on the dull spots, lemon oil on the fb. I think it's good enough. Afteral this is a 31 year old instrument... All that is left now is polishing the frets, slapping new strings on and setting up the truss rod + bridge, which is currently bottomed out in preparation.

20210525_134606.jpg

Reaction score
Is it just me , or do all older Warwick tailpieces sink way lower into the body then the newer ones?
Not the bridge part, but the one holding the ball ends.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
No it's not just you. I noticed this as well. It depends on both the era and the model though it seems.
I've seen SS1 and SS2 from 2000-2008 with tails and bridges sticking so far out of the body it looked like an amateur job.

Reaction score
00's weren't the best age for Warwick with all the Polish builders leaving and starting their own companies (Mayones/Mensinger and Maruszyczk) (Maryszcczk are built by Mensinger)
I do think this is done because of complaints about not being able to fit all ball ends in, especially with B strings.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
00's weren't the best age for Warwick with all the Polish builders leaving and starting their own companies (Mayones/Mensinger and Maruszyczk) (Maryszcczk are built by Mensinger)
I do think this is done because of complaints about not being able to fit all ball ends in, especially with B strings.

Or maybe strings break more often because of the angle. I don't really know.
Deeper in the body looks sleeker anyway I think, so no complaints from me with this bass.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Shiny machineheads are shiny. First fret is pretty worn. But we'll see how it plays out.

20210525_143846.jpg

eyvindwa

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Wait - are you saying that the people behind Mayones and Mensinger used to work for Warwick?

Reaction score
Wait - are you saying that the people behind Mayones and Mensinger used to work for Warwick?
Yes, that's what I've been told a while ago by a Polish guy I know who used to be a roadie for King Crimson etc.
He told me about all the other Polish builders he knows (so mensinger etc, but also Nexus in Belgium).

I don't recall exactly, but I think the guy who started Mayones(i think) used to make all the custom shop models for Warwick back in the day before starting out on his own.
I can shoot him a message and ask again if you want.

eyvindwa

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, that's what I've been told a while ago by a Polish guy I know who used to be a roadie for King Crimson etc.
He told me about all the other Polish builders he knows (so mensinger etc, but also Nexus in Belgium).

I don't recall exactly, but I think the guy who started Mayones(i think) used to make all the custom shop models for Warwick back in the day before starting out on his own.
I can shoot him a message and ask again if you want.

I'm very curious to know, so if it is no problem for you, then please do :)

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Is this the original Thumb gigbag from 1990? I like it. It seems so tiny but fits like a glove.

20210526_104704.jpg

Top Bottom