=The Warwick Thumb Club=

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Also Thumb 5 is a totally different animal than thumb 4 because of the pickups placement. Wenge or Ovankol it doesn't really matter to me, but 4 vs 5 is a huge difference for thumbs. Do post pics :)

Reaction score
I guess the PU placement makes the biggest tonal differenz, but the feel of Wenge is something i would miss on a Thumb. The all Wenge Neck is haptical (don't if this is the right word) the best for me. Love that wood

Reaction score
Also i found a 5 String Thumb in France which seems a bit used but that was my previous one also.

Should arrive Saturday
Of course I will Post pictures

Reactions: RIP
Reaction score
I have a Korean Pro Series fretless Thumb BO 5 bass. Recently, the electronics died on me. However, I had previously (rather randomly) purchased a Darkglass Tone Capsule that was on sale, so I figured this was a good opportunity to try it out. So, I had a tech install it for me. Apparently it was a rather difficult job, but in the end he made it work. And let me tell you, this bass really sings now, with a lot more midrange definition (well, duh, the DG Tone Capsule has bass, low mid and high mid controls). Really a worthwhile upgrade for me; YMMV.

Reaction score
It arrived
20190507_152938.jpg

Reaction score
Still the original PU's but the coloring of the letters MEC are worn out. I really like the Sound, cuts throu the Band without overhelming the other Instruments.

Not so good for sitting in front of my computer and playing with headphones to songs/cover. I prefer the my Corvette in this case for it has more sound versitility.

Beautifull looking Thumb you got, the wood grain is stunning!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey folks, I'm new to the forum but I've had my Warwick Thumb 5 Fretless for a while now! Through neck Bubinga top and it's so amazing! I hope you don't mind me dropping a video in so you can hear how it sounds...!

I've read a few of the replies in the thread and it's nice to see so many Thumbs out there!

Cheers!

Reaction score
Still the original PU's but the coloring of the letters MEC are worn out. I really like the Sound, cuts throu the Band without overhelming the other Instruments.

Not so good for sitting in front of my computer and playing with headphones to songs/cover. I prefer the my Corvette in this case for it has more sound versitility.

Beautifull looking Thumb you got, the wood grain is stunning!

Ahhh I see....

Yes it is a beautiful hunk of wood and it plays as good as it looks. it's a two-piece body and both wings have equally beautiful grain. I really like the pickup combo too, but I REALLY liked the bridge or "neck" (or "next to bridge") soloed, not as much when the blend was centred...horses for porsches...:)

Hats off to Warwick!

Also today I found out that ovangkol is actually shedua!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Also today I found out that ovangkol is actually shedua
Well, Shedua and Ovangkol are synonyms. Also Bubinga and Ovangkol are the same genus* but different species*.
I hope i could contribute some knowlegde!

*Please Note, that i may have used the wrong words as I am not an native english speaker. The german words are: Gattung and Art

Reaction score
Hello Fellow Thumb Owners.

I just purchased a ‘99 Thumb 5 BO with Ovangkal body/neck and Wenge Board. I will post some pictures of it when I receive it. I’m excited.

Just a few questions. Will the BO be that much different from NT tone wise? Does the Ovangkal sound good on a Thumb? I was searching around and read a few old threads were people had said the Thumb BO did not have a lot of low end.

Thanks

Shaun

Reaction score
Will the BO be that much different from NT tone wise? Does the Ovangkal sound good on a Thumb?
The BO sounds different from the NT in my opinion which has more of an impact on sound than the difference between ovangkol/bubinga on a Thumb. At least as I am concerned you won't notice the difference between the woods when playing in a Band.

Can not complain about about too little low end on my BO Thumb, but i cut low end at some point anyway and boost the low mids a little.

Reaction score
Hello Fellow Thumb Owners.

I just purchased a ‘99 Thumb 5 BO with Ovangkal body/neck and Wenge Board. I will post some pictures of it when I receive it. I’m excited.

Just a few questions. Will the BO be that much different from NT tone wise? Does the Ovangkal sound good on a Thumb? I was searching around and read a few old threads were people had said the Thumb BO did not have a lot of low end.

Thanks

Shaun

I have the same model and same year which I purchased new. It's a lovely bass. I used to have a neck through 6 but sold, both sound great just different. It will neck dive though like all thumbs.

Hoggles

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Reposting a picture from either late '85 or most likely '86, which was the first year of the JD 5 string. Noticed something kinda cool.

@Hardy if I recall correctly, you recently posted a pic of a Thumb headstock, with the exaggerated flare on the bottom. Until you posted it, I had never seen that shape. I think your pic was also a 5'er, probably a prototype (I think you mention that), as they were trying to figure out how to squeeze in the extra tuner. Especially with the rubber gaskets at the time.

Just noticed one in this pic. Interesting :) Can't tell if the one he's working on has it or not. I wish there a was a video of these first Warwick luthiers in action. Cool stuff.

downloadfile-1.png

Top Bottom