Incoming!!! (show Us Your New Stuff Before You Actually Have It)

Reaction score
Quick update: The Phatty isn't pink, it is sparkly pink. Very cool 'always on' kinda pedal that makes your tone more lively and blend with the rest of the instruments better...

Nice!

Totally agree. Don’t sleep on the internal trim pot either. Another cool thing is how it can change how other pedals sound, both before and after. You can obviously say that about most anything, but the Phatty is particularly universally useful I think. I also have the Suppa Phat, which surprisingly isn’t just a replica with more knobs. I find it even better for mixing with other pedals, but I actually like the timbre of the original Phatty better. I’ve also never been able to duplicate my favorite “always on” sound from the Phatty on the Suppa. At the very least it helps be justify keeping both 😁

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
cover.jpg

Reaction score
A few things for the two 1985 Aria Pro II ZZB Deluxe basses-- you know the Explorer style rockers-

Two pairs of 550 k ohm pots to better accommodate the high output (15+k ohms) P configuration pickups in the black one, and for the new pickups I just ordered from MJS to replace the old ones which not only had grounding issues, but will probably have to be destroyed to remove them since they have either been glued or epoxied in place by a previous owner-

The caps are .o22 uF, a rating normally relegated to guitars but I am thinking about trying one in the white one because the two pickups are of a different configuration than the original P style. The black one had a new .047 uF Orange Drop cap that I'll probably keep. I pretty much like the tone variation as is, though I tend to leave it rolled off.

The neck pickup, rated at 11-12 k-ohms, will be a MJS Split Single-coil with individual Alnico 5 magnets and the bridge pickup will be a MJS Hum III Bass 4, rated at 12- 13k ohms, with Steel Bar pole pieces and an Alnico 5 bar magnet. Both will come with an EMG style cover that will almost be an exact fit for the dimension of the pickup cavities with little to no modification. Both will be configured to accommodate the string widths of 49 and 51 mm, neck and bridge, respectively-

Pots - 500k - Caps 022.jpeg

The covers will look something like this--

mjs_split_single_retro.jpeg

And finally one of these for the white one --

Bass Xtender GOTOH HB 7.jpeg

I already I got the Ultralite version for the black one before Hipshot informed me that, although it was a drop in replacement regarding hole patterns for my current tuning keys, there are slight cosmetic differences given that unbeknownst to me, the originals were GOTOH GB7's.

No matter, the difference from the front is slight, the black bushing at the base of the knob, and i may someday rertrofit the rest with Ultralite's anyway.

Reaction score
Hello!

Got this one coming on Tuesday. I’ve never played a 5 string so it might have to go back if I won’t like it…

Pics on the link below…

What are your thoughts guys? I am really anxious that I won’t like the neck thickness or something, as I always had thin necks. I’m really paranoid even thinking about cancelling the order…

Warwick Infinity 5-String

Nachobassman

Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!
Reaction score
Hello!

Got this one coming on Tuesday. I’ve never played a 5 string so it might have to go back if I won’t like it…

Pics on the link below…

What are your thoughts guys? I am really anxious that I won’t like the neck thickness or something, as I always had thin necks. I’m really paranoid even thinking about cancelling the order…

Nice catch! :)

I bet my '02 Infinity SN5 has a similar neck, which I really like, but OFC my hands are not yours, so fingers crossed. 🤞

Reaction score
Hello!

Pics on the link below…

Cancelled the order. I don’t think I’d like 5 string, I hate how 5 string headstock looks like too. I will keep hunting for a 4-string version

Hardy

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Cancelled the order. I don’t think I’d like 5 string, I hate how 5 string headstock looks like too. I will keep hunting for a 4-string version
Right decision. I owned two Infy NT5 and sold both. Fine instruments, but not made for me. I LOVE my Infy NT4! Good luck with the hunt, find you a nice 4er!!!

Reaction score
You could always retrofit a four string version with a Hipshot Bass Xtender where you can drop down to D, and the Hipshot Double Stop Lever mod allows you to not only drop to D, but a second setting for low C or even B, depending on the gauge and type of your E string,

Hipshot makes them in about every tuner configuration imaginable so as to afford a drop in replacement with no modifications to your headstock- I got the Schaller style to accommodate my 1985 Gibson Explorer bass. If you're uncertain, they have blueprints with dimensions on their website, and/or you can send tech support a photo-

Not the same as a Five string but it allows you to grab the occasional low notes unavailable to a standard tuned 4 string-

Just a thought--

Last edited:
Reaction score
You could always retrofit a four string version with a Hipshot Bass Xtender where you can drop down to D, and the Hipshot Double Stop Lever mod allows you to not only drop to D, but a second setting for low C or even B, depending on the gauge and type of your E string,

Hipshot makes them in about every tuner configuration imaginable so as to afford a drop in replacement with no modifications to your headstock- I got the Schaller style to accommodate my 1985 Gibson Explorer bass. If you're uncertain, they have blueprints with dimensions on their website, and/or you can send tech support a photo-

Not the same as a Five string but it allows you to grab the occasional low notes unavailable to a standard tuned 4 string-

Just a thought--
This is exactly what I used for years and the reason why I have never been interested in a 5 string. Muting another string all the time, with very little benefit for me. I have DGCF default tuning with D dropping to C. Never really needed anything lower, but I also have a pack of Warwick 135/105/85/65 so I can easily - if needed - switch to these and get that low string on a 4 string bass (I’ve got a spare just-a-nut from Warwick too, which has been filed for those thick strings).

I had people telling me that 5th string will give me more options, but I don’t feel like I need much more. Paying so much money and then have to adjust my playing didn’t seem as the right step going forward. Decided that I’ll save up my pennies and get a brand new infinity nt 4 next year.

Reaction score
This is exactly what I used for years and the reason why I have never been interested in a 5 string. Muting another string all the time, with very little benefit for me. I have DGCF default tuning with D dropping to C. Never really needed anything lower, but I also have a pack of Warwick 135/105/85/65 so I can easily - if needed - switch to these and get that low string on a 4 string bass (I’ve got a spare just-a-nut from Warwick too, which has been filed for those thick strings).

I had people telling me that 5th string will give me more options, but I don’t feel like I need much more. Paying so much money and then have to adjust my playing didn’t seem as the right step going forward. Decided that I’ll save up my pennies and get a brand new infinity nt 4 next year.
I have one bass tuned to Eb for Robin Trower and Saxon play alongs/covers, and other people who do so. That's about as low as I'll go regarding across the board tuning. As far as original material, I've a song that invokes the low B and fretless textures-- in that case, the low end chores are relegated to my Thumb NT 5 unlined fretless. Thus far I've another song that needs the drop D to add variety from 5 th string octave up at the 5th fret, hence the Hipshot Bass Xtender purchase-

I'd like to think that there'll be more to come so that high-end equipment will not have been purchased for one offs--

I will say this, the five string configuration hasn't done much to detract from the beauty of the Thumb NT 5, thought it's not a wide neck version-- don't really need it to be-

Regarding your string gauges for the E string low C, or B notes you might be able to get a away with one from a heavy four string set such as a 110.

Reaction score
I have one bass tuned to Eb for Robin Trower and Saxon play alongs/covers, and other people who do so. That's about as low as I'll go regarding across the board tuning. As far as original material, I've a song that invokes the low B and fretless textures-- in that case, the low end chores are relegated to my Thumb NT 5 unlined fretless. Thus far I've another song that needs the drop D to add variety from 5 th string octave up at the 5th fret, hence the Hipshot Bass Xtender purchase-

I'd like to think that there'll be more to come so that high-end equipment will not have been purchased for one offs--

I will say this, the five string configuration hasn't done much to detract from the beauty of the Thumb NT 5, thought it's not a wide neck version-- don't really need it to be-

Regarding your string gauges for the E string low C, or B notes you might be able to get an away with one from a heavy four string set such as a 110.
Nice man! I can’t afford to have multiple Warwick’s haha, unfortunately.

It’s the headstock for 5 string that doesn’t appeal to me tbh.

I use 115 gauge for my D/C and if I’ll ever need to have low A I’ll use 135 and see how I get on. I’d go for dark lord set of strings but I’m worried that would completely take away that zing from the low string.

Reaction score
Nice man! I can’t afford to have multiple Warwick’s haha, unfortunately.

It’s the headstock for 5 string that doesn’t appeal to me tbh.

I use 115 gauge for my D/C and if I’ll ever need to have low A I’ll use 135 and see how I get on. I’d go for dark lord set of strings but I’m worried that would completely take away that zing from the low string.
Have to admit I'm really digging my 1985 Aria Pro II ZZB's for hard rock-- the black was 449.00 and the white one was 499.00- good prices for made in Japan-

Top Bottom