Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

What are you listening to..ATM?

Discussion in 'Maddrakkett's Caffe' started by Vuk, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Hoggles

Hoggles Good Vibe Sponsor

Bottom line is that women have suffered under the control of men for as long as there have been men and women. Period. In so many ways, that so many men (including myself), could never begin to understand. Being a partner to an amazing unapologetic feminist...has opened my eyes to the truth, like I never thought possible. And the truth is pretty disgusting. On so many levels, in so many aspects of woman's lives. Including (especially) even commenting on Wilkenfeld being a female. Or even commenting on her appearance. Whether one feels they are simply being complimentary. Who the hell cares? Lets focus on her playing. And as far as that goes...she's a shitton better than a vast majority of "popular" male players who are playing for higher grossing acts than Jeff Beck etc. She has chops. Zero doubt about it.

The Metoo movement is exactly what was needed to help wake up the world to the horrors that men have inflicted on women for far too long. This purge of sick men is LONG overdue. Period. Especially in the entertainment industry.

I've seen quite a few sexist remarks on my beloved Bass Arena. It's really not a huge surprise that there are very few women on this forum, or many other male dominated forums for that matter. The way the vast majority of men subjugate women is a gross systemic problem and one that needs to be addressed and called out every time it happens. How often is the appearance of a male bass player commented on, in this forum? Not much. I really don't think it even remotely compares to the times I've seen woman's apperance commented on, for no other reason other than they're women. Or seeing the bouncing breasts gif on the chat room from time to time. There's no need for that kind of stuff. Especially a forum that is struggling to stay alive.

But I digress... this is the what ya listening to thread....

A little Dead goes a long way :D

Bassist4Eris likes this.
  2. LoerEnd

LoerEnd Citizen Thumb

Is our forum struggling to stay alive?!?!?!

3. jester

jester Moderator Moderator

I haven't been able to spot many sexist remarks here, we most probably have a different idea about what's sexist. Even if it's true, I don't think this is the reason we don't have many female members here. Did we stop to consider the ratio of male vs. female bass guitar players? It's the first question we should answer if we want to tackle our forum gender statistics. Let us not jump to accusations of sexism, even if sexism is a real thing.

The reason male bass players' looks are not commented on this forum is because members are mostly males, 9 out of 10 are heterosexual so they do not care at all about male players' looks, and 1 out of 10 does care but won't comment for obvious reasons. In my opinion there is not some kind of vile prejudice or desire to subjugate women when an attractive and famous female bass player enters the discussion and a healthy male respectfully expresses his appreciation of her looks.

To elaborate a bit on this: On my first reply to kimgee's message, where he self-blamed, I wrote: "Sexism is prejudice and discrimination according to sex". You will discover that the word "sexism" is used and abused in all kinds of ways all around you, and thrown around all the time in a knee jerk fashion. But what I quoted is pretty much the definition of sexism. That's it.

Now, having this in mind, and this is one of my thoughts that I did not share earlier: Let us assume you are a heterosexual male. Being that, and most probably unbeknownst to you, you are making a very serious and very important discrimination according to sex. When looking for someone to have sex with, men are out of the question, women are not out of the question. Does this discrimination according to sex make you a sexist? The answer is of course, no. I hope you understand the connection I am trying to make.

I guess my point is that certain things are natural and should not be suppressed as long as you respect the other person. I'm not saying we should let our urges take full control. We 're humans that have the capacity for restraint. But we 're only one notch above apes, guys and gals, so we do need to recognize that our animal side is there and it's very important as it's the reason we were born to have this exchange.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    LoerEnd likes this.
  4. Hoggles

These conversations are good to have from time to time. I appreciate your thoughts on the subject :)

LoerEnd and jester like this.
  5. jester

Same here Hoggles. I also like them a lot and consider them very important. I was looking into perhaps splitting this thread and moving the subject into a new dedicated thread in a different section of the forum but I think it's not possible. Oh well.

Hoggles likes this.
  6. jester

I recently came across this. I think this is a very tell-tale reaction of hers.

But also consider "Basic Instinct". It's always there (but not as a justification for unacceptable behavior).

Perfectly apt movie title for our derailed topic isn't it? :)

Hoggles likes this.
  7. LoerEnd

LoerEnd Citizen Thumb

Hats off to this conversation.
    Considering how polarizing this topic can be, it is refreshing to read two points of view exchanged so respectfully.

Proves this is the right community to be a part of.

8. RIP

RIP California U.S.A.

9. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris

Back on topic

jester and LoerEnd like this.
  10. LoerEnd

LoerEnd Citizen Thumb

Back on Stu.

11. PaulS

PaulS Good Vibe Sponsor

In memory of my Dad. RIP Pop

Florin, Hoggles and Bliff Curton like this.
  12. Bliff Curton

Bliff Curton

RIP, Pauls’ Pop

Xavier Rudd
    Woman Dreaming.

That bass tone is so perfect.

Florin likes this.
  13. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris

Klezmer meets Afrobeat.

Hoggles likes this.
  14. LoerEnd

LoerEnd Citizen Thumb

Damn dis groove...

Hoggles likes this.
  15. Narcdor

Narcdor

Interesting setup he’s using, it’s a four string fender active P/J with ash body tuned B to G with what looks like flats with blue silk. It works!

LoerEnd and Hoggles like this.
  16. Hoggles

17. Hoggles

Narcdor likes this.
  18. Narcdor

Narcdor

Love this bass intro, whenever my other half tells me to stop playing annoying songs I play this and she's happy, she loves Built to Spill :D

Hoggles likes this.
  19. Hoggles

Haha yes! BTS rocks!

20. LoerEnd

LoerEnd Citizen Thumb

All of this stuff, especially Dean Town