The Ovangkol Monster is Poorly

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I'm not a happy boy. My new CS has a faulty Output Jack. Cuts out whenever the lead is lifted up slightly.
Dealer wants me to fix it myself as I live quite a way away?????
They sent a replacement in the post but it's chrome.. (I've got black hardware) Had to justify why the chrome one isn't good enough.
They've said they'll order a black one for me but I'll have to call back in about a week when it's arrived to give my address again as the guy didn't have a pen.
I've asked if Warwick will send me one directly but that's a long shot.
Sorry for the rant but I'm really fed up. Brand new CS with a fault. Gutted!!

Peace and love
:roll:

Reaction score
Bummer,

I don't get what can be wrong about an output jack besides bad contact, which should be fixed easily, thus it shouldn't require a new jack; I assume I just haven't understood it properly. Anyway, I personally would contact Warwick directly; they are very understanding people (my experience), and surely remember the Ovangkol Monster. Just give it a try man. Don't let some local shop dude mess up your love for Warwick. Trust me, I have experienced total crappage from my local shop/distributor.............don't let that ruin my Warwick experience...............good luck, and let us know. :D

P.S. My personal view: it's not as bad as having a crack in the neck or body..........yay !!!

Ian

The Undecided Frog
Reaction score
You know what ?

My CS Streamer has the SAME problem. Yeah dudes, I tell you the truth... When you slightly lift up the lead, the signal is cut. If you move the jack in the output, signal gets lost.

BUT, it makes this with every cable except one ! I got a Planet Waves cable, if I plug the "angled" part of the cable in the bass, no problem at all !!! I tried to move it in every position, no problem ! Whereas with the other cables, if I move them, I get the signal loss.

Weird, isn't it ? :shock:

Moreover my output jack is chrome, even if I have black hardware.

The problem is that I ordered the bass through Thomann (Germany) and I live in France...

What can Warwick do for Kilminster and I ?

Reaction score
I would email HPW and tell him to visit the Jack Mounting Department ;)

Florin

OG
Reaction score
ThirdthumB said:
Bummer,
I personally would contact Warwick directly; they are very understanding people (my experience), and surely remember the Ovangkol Monster. Just give it a try man. Don't let some local shop dude mess up your love for Warwick.

+1

This things sometimes happens... However, this can be solved with a soldering iron, in 5 minutes, not a big deal.

Reaction score
I just started a new topic concerning the quality of MEC parts. Maybe you can check it out ?? It's under "Warwick basses".

Cheers. :D

Ian

The Undecided Frog
Reaction score
I just e-mailed M.Wilfer.

I hope he will be helpful !

Reaction score
Ian said:
You know what ?

When you slightly lift up the lead, the signal is cut. If you move the jack in the output, signal gets lost.

BUT, it makes this with every cable except one ! I got a Planet Waves cable, if I plug the "angled" part of the cable in the bass, no problem at all !!! I tried to move it in every position, no problem ! Whereas with the other cables, if I move them, I get the signal loss.

?

Dude my yamaha is exactly the same, if you lift up the lead i cut the signal, but with a planet waves angled cable i get no problems at all ever

Ian

The Undecided Frog
Reaction score
That's really weird...

Obviously that "problem" is not a "problem" ? I mean... Our CS basses aren't faulty, at the end of the day ?

Is it more a matter of cable rather than a matter of output jack ?

If Stroud has the same problem with his Yamaha... I'm lost !!!

O

odominguez

This happens sometimes guys. About the Chrome thing, the output jacks are always chrome. I personally haven't seen a black one yet, but I might be wrong on this.

Ian

The Undecided Frog
Reaction score
odominguez said:
This happens sometimes guys. About the Chrome thing, the output jacks are always chrome. I personally haven't seen a black one yet, but I might be wrong on this.

"This happens sometimes " ?

Which means ??? That it cannot be fixed ? :shock:

More a matter of building than a defect ?

Reaction score
Corvette $$ Black hardware -> Chrome jack
Stage 1 Gold hardware -> Chrome jack

Just for info. /Pat

Reaction score
Ian said:
odominguez said:

I know it sounds cruel, but it's a statistical thing...............hey you said you already wrote to H.P. Wilfer right ?? Trust me, if he's in his office tomorrow, you will get a satisfying reply. Just wait and see............I have faith in Warwick. :D

O

odominguez

Ian said:
odominguez said:

It means that sometimes parts in the shipping process might get messed up. But it's easily fixed normally.

Ian

The Undecided Frog
Reaction score
OK... So getting a new output jack is the solution ?

Reaction score
Ian said:
OK... So getting a new output jack is the solution ?

Dunno,

I gotta see it first. It may be just poor soldering; in that case the jack's not the problem. It could also be the jack itself; too much play for example.....in that case, a new jack should fix the problem. It could also be some blank wire(s) almost touching the jack..........In any case, it's not rocket science, and it should be solved easily............ :roll:

Reaction score
Since we're on the subject of output jacks... I recently did a pup and preamp swap on a Fortress. I wired everything exactly according to the prints and have checked it more than twice. But, no sound. Is there any possibility that the two center posts are reversed on Warwick jacks as opposed to, say, Bartolini jacks? Even if it's got a mono cable, the jack is stereo. Both of them actually. I get a pop through the amp if I plug it in slowly so there is contact being made somewhere and the battery isn't dead. I'm going to fix it this weekend, just wondering if anybody knew about the guts of a Warwick jack... thanx ~M~

Reaction score
[speculation mod=on]

when i was touring some shops, i asked for the planet waves circuitbraker cables - one guy at one pretty big shop told me, they don't sell planet waves, because they have no "Neutrik"-plugs. Those were the only ones that have the standardised dimensions and therefore fit perfectly into every jack, that is not miss-dimensioned.

i never had problems like that, but i was using neutrik-plugs most of the time. so COULD that be a reason for anything?
or has anybody here a litte bit more knowledge about that thing and can explain that the seller was talking crap?

[all mods=off]

Reaction score
Hi
Sorry I missed all this, I've been out.
Yeah, It's a black jack and it looks great which is why I want the correct replacement. I've checked the soldering and it seems fine to me. The weird thing is that in passive mode I don't have the problem!!
Thanks to everyone one who's replied and thanks Ian, at least we're in the same boat. If you can let me know if you get an answer I'd be grateful.
It hasn't messed up my Warwick experience by the way. It still sounds and plays amazing.

Top Bottom