Spot The Warwick!

The late Marcel Jacob with a Fortress around the 4 minute mark. I don't know how much he used Warwicks, this tune sounds like a Fender with a P.

 
John Entwistle playing a Thumb at band rehearsal back in 1985 (at 4:00).





Here he is in documentary sound checking the Thumb at 5:00 before recording with Kenny Jones in his studio-

 
Last edited:
Michael Nicklasson from when he used to play with the Swedish melodeath band Dark Tranquillity.

Dark_Tranquillity_%40_Evolution_Fest_2005.jpg


I was impressed with the bass tone on the last record he played "Fiction", and just had to research what that bass was. Oh well, I am not really surprised...

A sampler for you, a couple of nice bass moments in there:

 
Vagelis Karzis from Rotting Christ rocking a black Vampyre:

maxresdefault.jpg
 
  • Like
Reactions: RIP
Muzz Skillings with Living Colour in 1991 playing a Dolphin Pro I 5 (w/Bartolini humbuckers) on the Arsenio Hall Show:

 
Last edited:
Great videos Rehan! Corey sounds so good! Doug is a wizard and his effects stuff is crazy.
I wonder whatever happened to Muzz. His work on Vivid is inspiring. I spent a whole day a few weeks ago just listiening to these guys.
 
Great videos Rehan! Corey sounds so good! Doug is a wizard and his effects stuff is crazy.
I wonder whatever happened to Muzz. His work on Vivid is inspiring. I spent a whole day a few weeks ago just listiening to these guys.

Right on Paul you’re a Living Colour fan! I’ve googled Muzz before and it doesn’t seem like he’s really done much of anything. Both sick and inspiring players for sure! Doug is one of my all time favorites. I have also met and spoken with Doug several times at NAMM and when he was touring clubs as bassist for Paula Cole (prior to the LC reunion). When I worked st SWR, I helped to get him to endorse SWR after Trace Elliott closed. Not only is he an amazing bassist, he is also a really nice down to earth guy.
 
Hold on right there. You worked at SWR? Fender destroying it was such a shame! The Goliath cabs were just EPIC when they were still loaded with PAS drivers... And the SM400 was revolutionary at the time.

In the nineties to me the only brands I would consider were Trace Elliot and SWR. All the others could not compete.
 
Hold on right there. You worked at SWR? Fender destroying it was such a shame! The Goliath cabs were just EPIC when they were still loaded with PAS drivers... And the SM400 was revolutionary at the time.

In the nineties to me the only brands I would consider were Trace Elliot and SWR. All the others could not compete.

Yes Marco, I worked at SWR in Sun Valley, CA from 2000-2003 right up until Fender bought SWR. I was the Service Manager and at the end Fender offered me a job to move to a different state and work for them as their SWR guy for service. I declined.

Prior to my working there, I was already a big SWR fanboy. I used Goliath II and subsequently Goliath III cabs almost exclusively from 1993-2009 because they sounded the best to me. Although I do have a long list of SWR amps/cabs that I previously owned > probably 20 products or so. In fact, just 2 weeks ago I picked up a used Goliath III with PAS speakers in great shape for $300 locally. My plan is to leave it at my practice space for band rehearsals, as it’s too heavy of a cabinet for me now to be lugging it everywhere these days. But in the nineties I used to lug two Goliath III cabs around everywhere because I played in a loud rock band with 2 guitarists that each had a 4x12 cabinet. I ran the dual Goliath III stack with either an SM-900 head or Grand Prix Preamp/Interstellar Overdrive Preamp into a Stereo 800 Power Amp.
 
Last edited:
Came across this bass cover on the youtube, the player sports a nice RockBass (old model) with *active* pickups. Fast pick playing, metallic tone. Sounds damn good.

 
Back
Top