pedal / effects you cant live without, and why??????

Reaction score
True, Florin. It all depends on the style of music you are playing, of course, but in general, I want to hear my instrument and not some "noise". I want to hear "The Sound of Wood" ;) (Not surprisingly, Glockenklang are the amps I'd like to own eventually.)
I can live without distortion, OD, or fuzz. But I do have a the Tech 21 VT Bass "character" pedal for the rare cases I need this sort of "vintage sound".

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I added this pedal in front of a decent pre and cabs ect and my satisfaction was immediate. I don't use pedals or distortion because I don't need them. I also don't get to do many big shows like some of you pro level guys here, with soundmen and good pa support. I don't consider this an "effects" pedal since I use it only to send a cleaner signal to the HB pre or as a pre straight into my Eden WT1250 to my Berg 2x10 (which is tone heaven btw;). I do reggae mostly with some 311 thrown in and my band likes to "feel" the bass. Warm, clear and heavy is where I am right now and so far can't see a downside by adding this pedal. I don't have mid control on my SB5000 or the pedal. For me, the HB pre tweaks the mids quite well if I need it. When using the PNut, I dial out most mids anyway to smooth out the reggae tone but lose a bit of clarity, naturally. For me, it seems to be a good compromise. I have rehearsal in a few days and a gig on the 11th. I'll test it out fully and see, since we know the living room does not a gig make. Nothing wrong with home playing, I just need to do both.
Oh and Florin, your tone is always undeniably awesome and you clearly don't need anything else! If I posted one of my gigs, you will se why I should NOT be allowed to set myself up and need all the help I can get:roll:!

Reaction score
Hi, sorry i haven't been around over christmas to read up on all of your super helpful responses, my broadband router went belly up on sunday before christmas and only got back online 2 days ago.
I need to go and play with some of these pedals and work out what works for me i think, but your answers do give me food for thought.
Thanks to all, and a very happy new year......

Nachobassman

Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!
Reaction score
Thank you X 10,000! I bought this today based 70% on your tone (which I really like for some reason). I put it in front of the HB pre and my new jazz style bass and :eek:! I took back the recently aquired Tech LM300 head and got this, hoping it would be as good as the LM300. This is now a permanent part of my sound and I haven't even tried it with my PNut yet! I'll be slappin the jazz with this thing for at least another hour.....I might even find and actual groove;)

Hey, Gerry, what a surprise, never thought my tone would influence somebody. ;)

Enjoy your new toy, I sure do. I´ve been a Sansamp BDDI user and abuser for almost a decade. 8:

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm diggin it for sure. I do notice a slight mid cut but for the warmth and clarity, I'll just dial the mids back in with the HB pre at the 800hz and 1.5khz range, right where i like to adjust. This works for me because it seems some amps don't sound right while adjusting these same frequencies. This pedal has the exact same effect as putting a John East pre on board. It's quite elegant and is not for everyone. It's a super clean studio tone but it will slightly scoop the mids a bit while flat (J-Retro) and give you a sweepable mid option to put them back. I'm guessing this is why they are not popular with Warwick bass enthusiasts. We love those Warwick mids! I feel the HB pre does a great job dialing back in whatever mids the bddi scooped but it's so much clearer and warmer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Florin, i see why you would like and dislike this pedal. You can only use a small percent of the blend before the mids go bye bye and the bass and other effects sounds completely colored. I'm using 40% blend with the jazz basses and 60% on the PNut. Again, this is at home. I appreciate the honest feedback too! If you didn't mention something, i would have just left the blend maxed out and probably wouldn't cut through in a live situation. I'm even happier with it now, thanks!

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Hi Gerry,

If you cut the mids from the SA, you cannot boost them back... It is hard to boost something that isn't there :)
Thanks man,

Flo

Reaction score
Only effects I'm using right now is a bit of Darkglass b3k on all the time for a little extra grit and sustain. Love it.

Reaction score
Hi Gerry,

If you cut the mids from the SA, you cannot boost them back... It is hard to boost something that isn't there :)
Thanks man,

Flo
Thanks Florin! I was told today that this pedal is more of an amp modeler and what I'm hearing is the box attempting to sound like old school tube amps. What i perceived as a mid cut is the SA attempting tube amp clarity. The mids must still be there since I can make adjustments from the pre. They just seem more transparent and slightly compressed. I'm still in the honeymoon phase with a new piece of gear. I'll test it out and check back in from a new perspective. Thanks again!

Reaction score
Thanks Florin! I was told today that this pedal is more of an amp modeler and what I'm hearing is the box attempting to sound like old school tube amps. What i perceived as a mid cut is the SA attempting tube amp clarity. The mids must still be there since I can make adjustments from the pre. They just seem more transparent and slightly compressed. I'm still in the honeymoon phase with a new piece of gear. I'll test it out and check back in from a new perspective. Thanks again!
Gerry, with the SABDDI, the mid frequency is fixed. You can essentially give yourself a mid cut by boosting the highs and bass or a mid boost by lowering the highs and bass.

Reaction score
Thanks Jeff, I decided to read up on the pedal and came across the same information. Whatever is going on with the mids suits me fine. I really got the pedal just to smooth out my jazz bass and ended up liking it all together. I was saying that I could see how someone that uses multiple effects or needs an aggressive midrange would end up removing it. For me, it sounds best alone. I got an Aguilar TH pedal today and will be returning it tomorrow. For now, this ones for me;)

Reaction score
Thanks Jeff, I decided to read up on the pedal and came across the same information. Whatever is going on with the mids suits me fine. I really got the pedal just to smooth out my jazz bass and ended up liking it all together. I was saying that I could see how someone that uses multiple effects or needs an aggressive midrange would end up removing it. For me, it sounds best alone. I got an Aguilar TH pedal today and will be returning it tomorrow. For now, this ones for me;)
It's really a great pedal and you'll find like the rest of us that you'll probably never sell it. I don't always use it but I'm glad I have it around. I'm really contemplating using it to record with in the next couple months.

Top Bottom