pedal / effects you cant live without, and why??????

Reaction score
hi, so there are so many effects out there these days, but i have no real idea of what each one does or sounds like or why it is so good to have certain effects. discuss:D

golem

Philosopher King
Reaction score
`

Markbass VLE and V?? filters.

"VLE" is Vintage Loudspeaker Emulation. "V??" [I forget
the other 2 letters] is basically a 'contour' filter, useful
but I can live without that part. The VLE filter is the part
that I'm addicted to. It makes bass sound like BASS, if
you know what I mean. If you don't know what I mean,
I mean VLE can prolly make a Thumb with RWs sound
like a P-bass with flats. Clearly, many of you would not
want this, but it's my "FX I can't live without". Acoarst,
it's fully adjustable, from "OFF" thru "FULL", so even a
Thumb thumper might find it useful, just to take some
edge off for certain tunes. Plus, the "V??" filter might be
useful even for slappers. It's a mid cut, with bass boost
and even more high end boost than bass boost.

-----------------------------------------------

You can't get VLE without V??. Both are built together in
one pedal, which I *would* buy if I hadda play thru a DI
or some amp other than my Markbass, but fortunately for
my current situations, I have VLE and V?? built into amps
from 250 to 800 watts, so I haven't had to buy the pedal.

The 250W "Mini Mark" lacks any conventional EQ or Tone
Control at all, just has the VLE and V??, and I really don't
have any complaint with that. It's simple, but effective :)
Anywho, I prefer active basses, so I've already got 2 or 3
[and even 4] bands of EQ on most of my basses. Come to
think of it, I'd say that onboard active EQ is pretty much
my other "FX I can't live without".

Last edited by a moderator:

Serbian Bassist
Reaction score
Synth.
Because I need to sound like this
[video=youtube;y8ydm9cxkoY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8ydm9cxkoY[/video]
External sound generator is must for this type of music.

Reaction score
1) Basswitch IQ DI - because it is an A/B-input switcher, features a parametric EQ and an excellent, clean pre-amp, two separate FX loops, and a DI.
2) Compressor - always use slight compression. Currently, I have the Maxon CP9 Pro+.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Markbass Compressore. This real tube compressor (not an op amp comp with a tube in some other section) is ALWAYS on, thickens my tone and makes it more lively.

Reaction score
Thanks all, some food for thought. I need to go try some stuff at my local i guess.

Augie

The Desert Bass-ape
Reaction score
I agree with Golem on the VLE/VPF on markbass heads. Magic. VLE is absically an ol skool dial, VPF is a new skool dial. Donno what happens if you turn them both all they way up, proabably a small babirusa will jump out from behind your rig and bite you on the knee then steal your favourite hat, so i have never been game to try.

But in terms of pedals: Dunlop bass wha is the most fun, a floor tuner is essential (also works as a mute)
but most usefull is the MXR M-80. DI that can be phantom powered, overdirve with blend and noise gate, switchable eq, the shape button thingy that basically embiggens you tone. all with only a few knobs, two switches. it lets you essentuially run 3 tones (dry/clean channel/OD channel)

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
Thanks for the 3 tones insight Augie, you just gave me an idea to more creatively use my M80. :)

Florin

OG
Reaction score
well, since my Hellborg preamp si in my pedalboard, that's one of them. Add a tuner, and a distortion, and that's it :)

boston asphalt2

Official Forum Pain in the Ass
Reaction score
For me it is simple:

Tuner, Russian black big muff pi, and digitech whammy. Can do everything from metal to psychedelic stuff all the way to making the bass sound like a screaming bird of prey from hell :)

lasteffect

Forum Nudist
Reaction score
Tuner, Darkglass B7K, Tech 21 Bass Boost Fuzz, Tech21 Bass Boost Chorus, and Ibanez Wheeping Demon Wah. Everythings covered.

Reaction score
Compressors.. cause i love them! Now i have an Ebs Multicomp which i really appreciate.

SimonQwerty

Warwick Funkster
Reaction score
Can live without any pedals, but still using EBS Octabass, EBS BASS IQ, BOSS CEB3 chorus, BOSS OD2 overdrive, BOSS LMB3 limiter, BOSS line selector and ART MP1 in the end of the chain. Quite a long way for a signal to be heard ;)

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Most my pedals are toys which I only use when playing alone, at home. The more spectacular sounding the better!

Within a band situation however effects have a very different impact. There I never use my delay, envelope filter, phaser etc. because I feel it is simply too much and I only get in the way of the guitarplayers.

My role in music is to make it tight, groovy and make people either nod their heads or shake their butts.

The compressor aids to this, so does adding just hint of tube grit and for a couple of songs full overdriven tone or, indeed, the big muff. These effects to me are the most useful.

I have however a tip: the shimmering effect of a tremolo pedal isn't very impressive when playing by yourself but add it to the mix within your band and you add tons of atmosphere to the whole mix, especially in slower parts of your music.

Ow and one more thing, I #&&$*# HATE chorus effects.

Reaction score
My must have effects pedal line up is pretty simple. My chain goes as follows: Tuner>Octaver>Fuzz>Distortion. Out of those the EBS octaver is the one that gets the least used as I only use it on one of our songs and even then it's only for a short period. I run my EHX Bass Big Muff Pi in dry mode so I don't lose the fundamental sound and dial in just enough fuzz to notice it. For distortion I use an Aguilar Aggro and set it for some good, well defined distorted bass.

Serbian Bassist
Reaction score
I have however a tip: the shimmering effect of a tremolo pedal isn't very impressive when playing by yourself but add it to the mix within your band and you add tons of atmosphere to the whole mix, especially in slower parts of your music.

Ow and one more thing, I #&&$*# HATE chorus effects.

Interesting. Thanks DiMarco. I may test that.
Doesn't chorus make pretty same shimmering effect ?
How much of tremolo shimmering do you apply ?
For instance, if we could engage effect from 0 to 100, how much effect do you apply?

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Jeff have you ever tried placing the distortion in front of the fuzz? Big Muff loves being fed a little distortion/OD. You get a lively organic fuzz tone with lots of sustain from this combination.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Interesting. Thanks DiMarco. I may test that.
Doesn't chorus make pretty same shimmering effect ?
How much of tremolo shimmering do you apply ?
For instance, if we could engage effect from 0 to 100, how much effect do you apply?

A chorus to me almost always makes the bass sound artificial in a plastic kinda way. Tremolo keeps it much more natural sounding. The amount and rate of tremolo added depends on a lot of factors. Just tweak it according to your own taste.

Top Bottom