Post Your Riff Of The Day

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
It could be something you wrote today, or something you learned today, but if you've got a riff under your fingers that you didn't have under your fingers yesterday, post a recording of yourself playing it!

I came up with this tonight playing my P-bass with 7-year old flats; not exactly a slap-friendly axe. I tried it on my sixer and my 8-string, and ended up liking the 8-string version the best, although ironically the octave strings don't exactly jump out at you when the instrument is slapped. It's too high-notey to be a main riff, but I think it might make a cool breakdown section.
Dropbox - 8-string melodic slap 07102018.mp3

Hardy

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
I came up with this tonight playing my P-bass with 7-year old flats; not exactly a slap-friendly axe. I tried it on my sixer and my 8-string, and ended up liking the 8-string version the best, although ironically the octave strings don't exactly jump out at you when the instrument is slapped. It's too high-notey to be a main riff, but I think it might make a cool breakdown section.
Dropbox - 8-string melodic slap 07102018.mp3

Nice start for a RHCP-like song!

Jay2U

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Yeah! You really nailed that riff, Beef!

PaulS

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Very cool. So I always thought listening to the album that u were using a pedal for that funky tone, now I know better

RIP

California U.S.A.
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Here's something Ive messing around with for the last few days......maybe this weekend I'll take the time to do a more pro recording

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
Here's something Ive messing around with for the last few days......maybe this weekend I'll take the time to do a more pro recording

Nice! I love playing chords up in the upper register. That part might also sound cool with some kind of modulation pedal (chorus/flanger/phaser) if you have one. :)

Reactions: RIP

RIP

California U.S.A.
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Nice! I love playing chords up in the upper register. That part might also sound cool with some kind of modulation pedal (chorus/flanger/phaser) if you have one. :)
I thought about adding a flange to it.....I really haven't recorded anything on a serious level since LEF, but this thread kind of has inspired me, and I think this tune might be my next one.....and I'll add some flange (which I still have) :)

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
Today my drummer and I were jamming together while we were waiting for our keyboardist to get to rehearsal. At a certain point in the jam, we got into a pretty cool groove, and I hit record. That file got named "new riff idea (take 1)". "Take 2" is what happened when we stopped, reined the thing in, got a pattern going, and then decided we needed to record the idea for possible future use. And so, without further ado, I present my humble Riff Of The Day:
Dropbox - new riff idea (take 2) 07122018.mp3

RIP

California U.S.A.
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Today my drummer and I were jamming together while we were waiting for our keyboardist to get to rehearsal. At a certain point in the jam, we got into a pretty cool groove, and I hit record. That file got named "new riff idea (take 1)". "Take 2" is what happened when we stopped, reined the thing in, got a pattern going, and then decided we needed to record the idea for possible future use. And so, without further ado, I present my humble Riff Of The Day:
Dropbox - new riff idea (take 2) 07122018.mp3
Nice! Some of the best riffs come on the fly.....reminds me of this one we did a few months back

This is a spur of the moment riff....kinda jam band style

Song 3.mp3

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
I'm hoping some others besides just RIP and me will participate in this eventually. :)

In the meantime, my Riff O' The Day is another 8-stringer, this time a rocker played with a pick.
Dropbox - 8-string rock in Bm.mp3

Hardy

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
When I‘m back from vacation I shall grab my 8 string. Inspired, thank you!

RIP

California U.S.A.
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Here's a fun little riff Ive been messing around with for the last couple of days

Sorry for the crude tablet recordings, but its so much easier than breaking out the 8 track :)

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
So here's the story. I got this cheap P copy from a friend for repairs. While I had it I was naturally trying out how it was working at a time and this simple idea hit me. The important realization for me was that the instrument's sound (chunky P tone) lead me to play this thing, it was the tone and overall feel of the bass.

I eventually returned the bass to its owner (in a much better state than when I got it mind you) so I couldn't record the idea with it. Instead I took out two of my Warwicks:

a) Corvette Proline 4, maple body, maple/wenge neck, wenge board, J/J pickups (cheap EMG Select passives that I dig, with only a blend knob, both pickups on full). Bass is a bit weak in the upper register due to not being set up properly.

b) Streamer LX 4, maple body, slim ovangkol neck, wenge board, P/J pickups (active MEC, a slight bass boost and treble cut from the pre, P pickup soloed). Bass sounds so incredibly clear and active-y and treble-y.

Dropbox - p idea.mp3

Last edited:
Top Bottom