Pa Or Powered Speakers?

RIP

California U.S.A.
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
If you needed something to amplify vocals only for a rehearsal space, would you buy Powered Speakers or a small PA System.....and what Wattage would you get?

Any input is appreciated since I know nothing about this stuff

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
We use a cheap-ish 900w Samson powermixer with built in compressor and simple reverb fx. The powermixer is paired with either two or four passive wedges.

In the bigger rehearsal room we used to have two floor monitors and two side fills, now in the smaller room we use the side fills only, which are on poles in front of and aimed at the band so the drummer can hear all the vocals clearly as well.

RIP

California U.S.A.
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
We use a cheap-ish 900w Samson powermixer with built in compressor and simple reverb fx. The powermixer is paired with either two or four passive wedges.

In the bigger rehearsal room we used to have two floor monitors and two side fills, now in the smaller room we use the side fills only, which are on poles in front of and aimed at the band so the drummer can hear all the vocals clearly as well.
Thanks @DiMarco

Here's what I was thinking. Not sure if this will be enough power though.

We don't play very loud for rehearsal, we don't even use ear plugs.

So option 1 is 2x210 100W powered speakers....200W total

Option 2 is 160W Powered Mixer going into 2x112 passive speakers

I can get either for under $300...what do you think? I'm thinking either should be enough power, but not sure

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
All will depend on how hard hitting the drummer will be, especially in a confined space.
For this reason the monitoring options will both be equally fine, although my preference usually is the powered mixer especially if that has a compressor and reverb built into it. The powermixer makes it easier to adjust eq and levels between the several vocal mics from a single point.

RIP

California U.S.A.
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
All will depend on how hard hitting the drummer will be, especially in a confined space.
For this reason the monitoring options will both be equally fine, although my preference usually is the powered mixer especially if that has a compressor and reverb built into it. The powermixer makes it easier to adjust eq and levels between the several vocal mics from a single point.
Yeah, it's a tough call......I'm in the camp where the more power the better

But since it's just me and the guitarist going in on this were trying to do it on the cheap.

One last question on your opinion, what if I used a non powered mixer (which I have) and ran that into the powered speakers through an XLR cable.....that will give me additionap EQ options and 8 channels

I'm thinking that might work pretty good and give me 2x210 vs 2x112, which is more cone space (more speakers)

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
The additional 2x10's would mean you have a lot of flexibility and certainly more then enough power for a rehearsal room.
You can always flog what you don't need in the end.

Reactions: RIP

RIP

California U.S.A.
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
The additional 2x10's would mean you have a lot of flexibility and certainly more then enough power for a rehearsal room.
You can always flog what you don't need in the end.
Thanks man!...I think so to....FWIW I was hoping you would chime in on this thread. Thank again man!

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
My brother hosts a rock cover jam in his basement. We use a 150W powered mixer with two small mains on stands. It's plenty for vocals. My brother (drummer) hits hard too.

Reactions: RIP

RIP

California U.S.A.
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
My brother hosts a rock cover jam in his basement. We use a 150W powered mixer with two small mains on stands. It's plenty for vocals. My brother (drummer) hits hard too.
Nice!....good to know

Thanks Beef

RIP

California U.S.A.
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Thought I'd show what I ended up with

These are Harbinger (Guitar Centers house brand) V2212's that are on sale for $150.00 marked down from $250.00.....I got 2

They are 600W peak power 180RMS.....so I (we) were able to stay within our $300 budget and they really sound good w/ plenty of light weight power

Murder Pony happy :)

images-3.jpeg

Top Bottom