Warwick standard vs high end warwicks!!

Reaction score
Weird title yes.

Well since i have joined, gas has been coming back in 20 foot waves.
So, ive really liked streamer lx, and jazzmans. i didnt like the $$ though.

So in the future i would really like one of these bass's, but the neck, oh my the neck. It just feels so strange. So i was wondering if warwick standard corvettes necks compared to these higher end models. I dont want to throw down a couple of grand on a bass that i might never get used. So i want to get one of these in the coming months, maybe a 4, or 5 string depending on what i need. So how do the necks compare, i understand the sound is different, but thats a different topic.

Thanks Sam

EDIT: im also really bad at asking Q's in a good way, so Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
There is a custom shop option for a flat "C" shaped neck, instead of the Warwick standard "U" shape. But I'd swear that the NT necks feels way more 'flat' than the BO necks...

Reaction score
I havent played any thumbs yet so im not sure. I Really want to see whether i could get used too one of those necks though.

Reaction score
The best advice I can give you Samuel is to spend some time playing these models before you even consider buying one,if that's possible.
imo you really need to know for sure how many strings you want on a bass before deciding on which model is for you.
When I bought my first Warwick it was a 5 string.I came to the conclusion that it's just a 4 string,with an extra string & that if need be,the B string would be a great thumb rest if I didnt end up playing on it.I was very VERY wrong mate.I struggled trying to play this bass,which was excellent in every other way,& was extremely fortunate enough to find a buyer that was willing to pay a good enough price for my bass,so that I didnt have to put alot of money towards getting myself what I should've bought in the first place.A 4 string.
This situation isnt unique.I've heard from other players that went down the exact same road that I did.
What I'm trying to say is,dont let the GAS influence you.Suss out what's going to be right for you & then you can be confident that you'll be getting a bass that'll give you a life time's worth of creativety & enjoyment,rather than getting sucked into the buy & sell routine that could very well end up costing you not only alot of money,but a great deal of frustration.
Good luck mate.

Reaction score
That's understandable. Personally I felt comfortable with the Warwick necks right away, and I was coming from Wal basses and a Fender Jazz, which have more 'standard' neck shapes. So I wouldn't just assume you would get used to it, particularly if you've been trying to...

Reaction score
Im fine with 5ers i have a 5 string jazz. I cant easily play, ive only ever played them in wales, and one in cork. I think in the end i would go with a five string. I often use it. And not just as an anchor.
I might be able to get to london after easter, and have a good look around, and im in france over easter, so i shouold have plenty of time to play one.

Also Evolve how did you find the change, im not saying im just going for a wick', ive played them and liked them, its just the neck.

Reaction score
Also Evolve how did you find the change, im not saying im just going for a wick', ive played them and liked them, its just the neck.

Like I said, I adapted quickly to the Warwick neck. But everyone is different. I do feel a bit more comfortable on my neck-thru than my bolt-on. But kinda related to what Greg is saying, both mine are 4-strings. I can't comment as much on 5-strings.

Reaction score
My 5 string jazz copy has very tight string spacong, and i can only just slap it. but finger stylea and tapping are great on it, and i have my jazz to slap. As i said i wont even have money for one tell, june or later, just wanted some insight.

Reaction score
Well, the only difference with necks you'll find is in the older wenge necks verses the ovangkol necks used now. The ovangkol necks are thicker and sturdier feeling (IMO). If you aren't able to get used to the newer neck shape, see if you can find a vintage wick!

Reaction score
Cool. Well, I'm not sure I helped much. Try every Warwick you can get your hands on and maybe you'll get your answer. It won't matter how great the bass sounds or looks if you don't feel comfortable playing the darn thing. Good luck in your search...

Reaction score
Thanks very much. I just have to find some closer to home, but other wise ill have to wait till im travelling.

Reaction score
the older Warwicks have a slimmer "C" shaped neck. many people like them. I love the feel of older and newer Warwicks. I do have to admit I like the newer ones better. the "D" profile neck does not bother me but on the other hand is more comfortable to me and my medium-sized hands. I prefer the neck of my Warwick than the thinner necks from other brands 1000 times over. ;)

The string spacing on some 5 string models is standard (16 mm) except the Streamer Stage 1 which has the 20 mm on it making it be a "Broad Neck" or "BN". many people like the borad neck and ytou can get Broad neck in other models as an option. I have played them and like them too since they allow you more spacing (same spacing as 4 stringers) great for slapping and popping but since my playing is 90% fingerstyle I have no issues with standard spacing over broad neck or viceversa.

I hope this helped.

PS> When I say o0lder Warwicks I am referring to mid 80-s to mid 90's models. ;)

Reaction score
I find the BN necks to feel much thinner than the standard ones.

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Hey Sam,

The NT Warwicks seem to have a slightly slimmer neck. Or they just feel that way...
Anyway, as Greg told you already, you better try one if you want to buy, especially the thumb, because it feels different, and it sounds different :)
Florin

Reaction score
Are you sure that the problem is in the shape?

If you are used to a more traditional "Fender like" neck, a Warwkc feels strange because of two things.
1) Neck balance: usually Warwick necks tend to play more orizontally than traditional basses
2) Headstock distance: In Warwick basses usually the necks feels longer, and the first positions seems more distant.
Those two aspects IMHO have a greateer influence than the neck shape.

When you play a Fender Precision Bass, it always feels like a Fender Precision neck, regardless of the different profile.

Reaction score
i agree that the SN and NT necks feel smaller compared to a BO which feels rounder.

i was nervous when i got my first Warwick (a Darklord BO) because i thought the neck would be hard to play, but to my surprise, it actually felt effortless... and that statement is coming from me who CANNOT play Les Pauls because i got used to Strat, BC Rich and Ibanez necks.

soundwise though ... prepare to be surprised that chances are the high end warwicks are actually at par with the BO ones.

when i got my Darklord, it was love at first pluck ... when i got my vampyre SN (higher end), it took me some time getting used to. when i got my very special vampyre LTD, i loved it right away, but it wasnt that same rush i got from playing the Darklord the first time.

so when im asked, is the NT better than the BO? ... ill say, it depends on your taste. look at the wood and PUP config... not the price tag and the neck construction.

Reaction score
you poor man! How unfortunate to have to play a Wal! :)

:lol:

True dat. Although, I suppose it's fitting to this thread that the only thing I don't love about them is their playability. Now a Warwick 2009 LTD with Wal pickups... Man, I'd never leave the house...

golem

Philosopher King
Reaction score
......... ........

If you are used to a more traditional "Fender like"
neck, a Warwkc feels strange because of two things.

1) Neck balance: usually Warwick necks tend to
play more orizontally than traditional basses

2) Headstock distance: In Warwick basses usually
the necks feels longer, and the first positions seems
more distant.

............ .........

Number '1)' can easily be the reason for number '2)'.

Try out any bass that can hang horizontally OR at
a high angle with equal stability. When you tilt the
neck, the headstock will feel closer for two reasons.
Partly cuz it really IS closer, AND partly cuz it also
reduces the wrist angle that is forced upon you by
playing a horizontal neck ... a wrist angle which is
both uncomfortable and unhealthy.

The few Wicks I play are a Streamer and some Vetts,
both ash and bubinga, which have different balances
due to their various body weights. All are 4-string so
they'll all easily hang at any angle. The strap pin on
the top horn is in about the same location as almost
all conventional double cutaway basses, which is to
say 'just short of the 12th fret'. Wick bodies are fairly
compact, so even with the "extra body" portion past
the end of the 34" playing scale, These Wicks are not
the type of design that actually shifts the headstock
further to your left [aka 'longer reach'].

Extreme example of 'shifted leftward' design type is
a hollow body with 34" scale, plenty of extra body
past the bridge, and the front strap pin at the neck
joint. Such a design is so ergonomically problematic
that it cries out for 'The Fix'.

I can understand that something with a shorter horn,
and with a balance that "insists" on hanging close to
horizontal, would be different than my basses. But I
can say that the Streamer and Vett 4-strings are NOT
members of the "tend-toward-horizontal" club, nor is
the headstock anywheres left of "normal". I routinely
apply 'The Fix' to any bass that shifts the scale [aka