The Difference: Our steel-reinforced necks

Reaction score
WarwickIronBlanks535xEQV.jpg

A large number of bass players should be familiar with the following issue: Even well-setup instruments with satisfactory playability and low action will often exhibit fret buzz within the area between the 12th and the 24th fret. Upon closer inspection, the cause is often a bump in the fretboard. The reasons for such neck relief issues are rooted in the considerable tension that the neck of a bass guitar is subjected to, which amounts to 60 to 80 kilograms for a standard 4-string bass.

Due to certain design features most bass guitars share, the area between the 12th and the 24th fret marks the spot which is affected by the highest amount of tension. As a result, the fretboard is often bent towards the player in certain areas – an unpleasant annoyance for bass players who are at home on the entire fretboard. We at Warwick have discovered the solution to this issue. By reinforcing our necks with steel bars at the height of the 12th fret, we are able to counteract the adverse effects of high string tension on both the neck and the fingerboard. As a result, the stiffness of the neck is significantly improved without altering the tone of the instrument.

Due to the added stability, fretboard bumps in the higher registers of the fretboard occurring on instruments with optimally set up neck relief and action are now a thing of the past. Be prepared to soar through the higher registers of your instrument without being slowed down by speed bumps! The perfect solution for low action and amazing playability all across the fingerboard!

[video=youtube;93GX0f3t-P4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=93GX0f3t-P4[/video]

Reaction score
Real Name
Chris
I don't know why this isn't in here yet :D

Augie

The Desert Bass-ape
Reaction score
One kwestion: why are they still going with massive iron bars when they probably add a significant amount of wieght? I know Spector uses super stiff carbon fiber rods in pretty much identical positions to do the exact same job. Does the iron help balace wicks better? is there probs with carbon fiber or is it just a cost thing?

Reaction score
Real Name
Chris
Well.. I'd hardly call them "massive"

Augie

The Desert Bass-ape
Reaction score
Well.. I'd hardly call them "massive"

well not massive in the same way an oil tanker is massive, but a couple hundred grams in a 4-5kg instrument where balance is paramount can have a significant influence on how the bass sits.

Florin

OG
Reaction score
I don't know why this isn't in here yet :D

It was posted more than once, this is HP Wilfer being very confident with his necks :)
I even tried this at home with my son Luca, 5 years ago :)
DSC_0342.JPG

Reaction score
I've read about the benefits of steel & iron over carbon fibre reinforcement rods & it's pretty hard to understand fully.
I think both work well & it's usually a matter of production reasons like cost, availability, machine ability etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Real Name
Kevin
When did the steel-reinforced necks start?

Does my 2002 Thumb BO and 2007 Corvette Fretless have this?

Reaction score
Was Warwick using these reinforcement bars back in '94? Because my thumb bo 5 from 94 is being difficult about getting a setup :p It seems impossible to get the 2.5mm string height (B string) at the 12th fret, without causing a lot of buzz and string tension loss. I am thinking about sending this bass to the factory hoping it could be fixed :/

Florin

OG
Reaction score
yes, as far as I know the bars were there. So. how straight is your neck? Where do you have da buzz?

Reaction score
Does the B string have a tapered string? - I know its harder to get intonation with a non tapered B, maybe it causes buzzing as well

Reaction score
Does the B string have a tapered string? - I know its harder to get intonation with a non tapered B, maybe it causes buzzing as well

Yes they are tapered warwick red label strings. Oddly enough the E string buzzes at every fret until the 12th, B string and the rest almoast have no buzz, but this one just wants to enervate me :p

But I ve ordered the 635mm 2 way truss rod to replace the 625 truss I now have installed, so hopefully it wil then bend the right parts of the neck and reduce buzz.

Reaction score
Heh... I guess that's one part of why Warwick-necks feel like super-dense cinderblocks when slapping, compared to the instruments of other manufacturers. My Ibby BTB555 for example has a tendency to feel "hollow" when slapping with higher action and/or thicker strings - conversely Warwicks have always felt like a solid wall when slapping. It's awesome - makes sure that the attack never overpowers the note.

Top Bottom