Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Your Favorite Albums Released In 2018?

Discussion in 'Maddrakkett's Caffe' started by Bassist4Eris, Dec 25, 2018.

1. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris

Steve Gregory
    Here are some of mine:

Alkaloid “Liquid Anatomy”. By doing this in alphabetical order, I've put the odd one out first. I'm much more of a jazz guy than a metal guy, but this one got my attention with its balance of brutal death metal and melodic prog rock.

Bokante “What Heat”. Another creation from bassist Michael League (best known as the leader of Snarky Puppy) Bokante blends several “world music” traditions into a captivating, grooving blend, which on this album is complemented by the esteemed Metropole Orkest. It's a very global aesthetic, a theme echoed frequently through the rest of the selections on my list as well.

Club D'Elf “Electric Moroccoland”. A rare studio outing from this mostly-live band, featuring frequent collaborator John Medeski. Deep grooves, jazzy improv, and plenty of that cross-cultural thing I was talking about before.

2. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris

Steve Gregory
    GoGo Penguin “A Humdrum Star”. Jazz piano trio music heavily influenced by electronica. For fans of The Bad Plus and Esborn Svensson Trio.

Marcus Miller “Laid Black”. Marcus gets back to what he does best: laying down some nasty jazz-funk.

Progger “Dystopia”. A new Progger disc is always a treat for fans of bands like Snarky Puppy, although they're often darker and weirder, and this disc is their darkest and weirdest yet.

Achim Seifert Project “Versus”. Indescribable progressive fusion from one of our fellow bassists.

3. jester

jester ocdemon Moderator

Yanni
    You mentioned jazz and metal, are you familiar with the band Cynic? You may want to check out their 1993 release "Focus" with Sean Malone on the fretless bass. I know I just moved this thread 25 years ago. :)

Sean is also one of the few people I 've heard use the Chapman Stick properly. This is probably one of the best known tracks from the album, although it is an instrumental. Also features a fretless solo:

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  4. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris

Steve Gregory
    Yeah, I love Cynic. I have "Focus" and "Traced in Air".

jester likes this.
  5. PaulS

PaulS Supporting Member Good Vibe Sponsor

I didn’t buy much stuff that was released this year but my two faves were a solo bass album by Damian Coccio called “Inner Ponds”, and your band’s release “Believe in the Uneven”. It’s a great album that I listened to a ton.

The new Death Cab for cutie was not bad but not awesome.

jester and Bassist4Eris like this.
  6. eyvindwa

eyvindwa Supporting Member

Picking up the thread of jazz metal, Beyond Creation released a new album this year. Not sure it is my absolute favorite, but it is quite good, and the fretless bass playing is awesome!

jester likes this.
  7. DiMarco

DiMarco nutcase Good Vibe Sponsor

Tesseract - Sonder
    Haken - Vector

8. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris

Steve Gregory
    I didn't know they released an album this year. I'm streaming it now; I'm on the second song. I like it a lot so far!

DiMarco likes this.