Wtb: Warwick Dolphin Pro I 5 String

Reaction score
  1. Serious buyer looking for a Dolphin Pro I 5 String Bass. Anyone willing to part with it? PLEASE let me know ASAP. Thanks!

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Price is quite good at 1500. These broadnecks were only produced in 1990/1991 and after that never again.
A regular 5er in good shape goes for 2500-3000 euro.

steembass

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Price is quite good at 1500. These broadnecks were only produced in 1990/1991 and after that never again.
;):)..ok, but only if the instrument is playable and not broken. No answer from seller is not „trustful“:cool:

Reaction score
Real Name
Ulrich
I'd be hesitant with broken necks for Streamers / Dolphins. They probably play well, but reselling could become a headache, just like post factory modifications.

Henrythe8

Dolphin Hoarder
Reaction score
@Nachobassman went to see it for me. NEck poorly repaired, trus maxxed out and neck is bowed beyond low action. Had a quote over 1500€ for the repair at a luthier, can't even imagine how much for a repair @warwick so I passed. But I'm looking at it everyday. To complement my other 5er. :)

steembass

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
@Nachobassman went to see it for me. NEck poorly repaired, trus maxxed out and neck is bowed beyond low action. Had a quote over 1500€ for the repair at a luthier, can't even imagine how much for a repair @warwick so I passed. But I'm looking at it everyday. To complement my other 5er. :)
oh, yes...it „confirms“ my doubts..maybe a good „piece of wood“ to hang on the wall

Nachobassman

Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!
Reaction score
Hola, amigos. Since father Henry already stepped out from buying this LOLphin I think it is fair to post this info to whomever finds it useful.

Disclaimer: This is my personal opinion and feeling on the bass and I'm NOT a professional luthier.

Here we go:

"About the bass:

At first sight it looks like a true "road worn" bass, the clerk told me it's been toured (and maybe, abused) for many years on stages all around Spain and who knows where else.
The finish has lots of scratches, although I can't remember any major ding on it. It has two big and round dark spots on the body were used to be some stickers.
Gold hardware has the usual "faded-out" colour from an old bass. All 5 tuners have the "West Germany" marks on them, and the broadneck 5-string bridge has the "W" on the center of the tailpiece.
The bass comes with recessed strap locks (TBH I forgot to ask if they have the strap pieces).

On the back of the body there are two plastic electronic compartments, the usual compartment for pre-amp, pots and 9V battery; and a square one for three 9V batteries, so I guess the bass has LEDs (I bet that's what the switch in the front is for).
Important note: both compartment covers are held with black duct tape. (MOJO!)

The bass weights A TON, I thought my Infinity was heavy, NO!, that LOLphin is heavy AF :D; and the broadneck is broad. Compared to my Infinity, again, it feels like a bass for a bigger human, and I am 1,89m tall with large hands, go figure.

The electronics works fine, all pots work as expected but it may need some cleaning, you know, te classic "old and scratchy" pots. The bass has lots of output, those Barts are hot!

Frets look ok, but I could not tell you how much life do they still have. I'm no expert.

OK, let's get down to business here, let's talk about the neck, the repair and bass setup/action.
The repair looks and feels a little messy, TBH, but in my opinion is a decent repair (not pretty) that works.
The guy told me the truss-rod is maxed out and it is not working. Indeed, the word "alma" (soul) is the word used in Spain for a guitar's "truss-rod".

As you could imagine, and it's hard to see in the pics, the action in the bass is high, the neck doesn't look that bowed, but I guess it will need lots of work to get it a little more straight. The bridge is set very high too, to compensate for the lack of truss-rod action.

My conclusions:
Is a beast of a bass, she screams "real Warwick!" all around the place. All the scratches, duct tape and sticker marks add a very cool MOJO to her.
If I were looking for a vintage LOLphin this could be a perfect candidate, BUT, to be honest I think they are asking too much money because it has important issues, and if I would invest many bottle caps taking her to a competent luthier to fix its "alma"; I won't pay 1800€* (*this was the price listed om their website at the moment I checked before writing down this info, they already had it at 1500€ on REVERB but I didn't know).
BTW, the guy told me 1500€, fairly negotiable. Guess this is the price for local buyers.

Well, I think I wrote down everything I checked about her, hope it helps.
The shop is very nice and they have some cool gear, like a candystore for musicians."

Last edited:

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
With a neck that big and sturdy, no truss rod will be able to correct its flaw. I had my own dolphin truss rod remade using stronger metals then the aluminium Warwick used and that did fix mine. With a neck this big though.. no chance.

Most Warwicks from the nineties have bad necks btw. It was a pricy low end brand back then.

Henrythe8

Dolphin Hoarder
Reaction score
I spoke with a luthier here. Of course, the opinion is HIGHLY DISCUTABLE as it's based on photos and description.
The bass will need to have the fretboard removed (and with LEDs that's a cautious move) , truss rod removed, neck re- repaired properly (and that's where my luthier is very, very wary as it might be a walk in the park or a partial rebuild of the neck which is never advisable), then neck reassembled, then steamed (if OK with LEDs, again) and put under pressure to straighten it.
With no guarantee whatsoever it'll stay put as the wood is over 30 years old and probably be a tad hard to bend backwards.
Now, that's my local guy. I trust him, but maybe Marcus Spangler @Warwick would have a better result. The guesstimate I had here is around 1500€, maybe more. I can't imagine Warwick being cheaper, nor making miracles rebending a neck.
I still look at this bass, however, as I fail trying to tame that "crotch goblin" of mine that gets out at night lookoing for beers, boobs 'n' basses.

steembass

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
;);)
With a neck that big and sturdy, no truss rod will be able to correct its flaw. I had my own dolphin truss rod remade using stronger metals then the aluminium Warwick used and that did fix mine. With a neck this big though.. no chance.

Most Warwicks from the nineties have bad necks btw. It was a pricy low end brand back then.
...then I always seem to had luck with my Warwicks from the nineties?

steembass

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
;);)
...then I always seem to had luck with my Warwicks from the nineties?
@DiMarco: I somewhat agree if you talk about mid 90ies when Warwick started production in Markneukirchen. Some years ago I had the honor to meet and talk with HPW. He told me “some stories” about his first years in the former GDR. For example: He “needed” to fire employees because of “sabotage”..(necks without trussrod etc etc)..
from those “guys” he later got bad feedback..

steembass

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
;)its a late 90ies...early Markneukirchen years...better check the neck before buying:cool::p

Henrythe8

Dolphin Hoarder
Reaction score
This one is Sophia, my first Dolphin.
Sold it to a guy that bought my two dolphin 4strings at the same time, the blue and this one.
No issue on the neck of this one whatsoever.
The guy didn't even bother to change strings on it, those are the old Blue Steel dean Markley. It's really on the pricey side.

steembass

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
:oops:
This one is Sophia, my first Dolphin.
Sold it to a guy that bought my two dolphin 4strings at the same time, the blue and this one.
No issue on the neck of this one whatsoever.
The guy didn't even bother to change strings on it, those are the old Blue Steel dean Markley. It's really on the pricey side.
street price (2002) has been €2500,-;):cool: good that I kept old catalogues (MP Handbuch für Musiker) for reference:oops::eek::rolleyes::D
IMHO: rare as Dolphins are...but I would not spend more than the „new“ price for a used bass:D:D

Top Bottom