Would a Katana Neck fit on a Thumb bass?

Reaction score
I have a fretless thumb and want to make it fretted. There is someone selling a Katana locally for quite cheap and I would want to swap the necks out. Do you guys know if this would work ok? The Thumb is 1999, Im not sure what year the Katana is (I'm trying to find out). They are both 5 String. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

PaulS

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
I don't think they started making Katanas until 2004. And the thicker neck was the norm for the first 4-5 years I think. Once you have the year the specs should be listed somewhere. Not sure why you'd want to harm that defenseless Katana anyway!

Reaction score
I don't think they started making Katanas until 2004. And the thicker neck was the norm for the first 4-5 years I think. Once you have the year the specs should be listed somewhere. Not sure why you'd want to harm that defenseless Katana anyway!

I don't like Katanas, I would put my fretless neck on it and sell it on. Il update if I get a date from the seller.

Reaction score
Ok so the Katana serial number is G-108232-04. My Thumb bass is a 1999 will this work? Any help would be much appreciated. If I go ahead with this anyone interested in a fretless katana bass ha ha

Reaction score
Why not pass it on in its original state?
I'm sure there are people lining up here to purchase one.

Reaction score
I've heard conflicting things - from some sources I've heard that every neck is uniquely drilled for the bass (and this is one of the reasons Warwick won't sell necks), and I've heard from a former Warwick supplier that every neck is the same, but Thumb bass necks required more sanding at the heel.

Reaction score
Why not pass it on in its original state?
I'm sure there are people lining up here to purchase one.

Yeah maybe. The problem is I live in New Zealand which is not close to anywhere except Australia and Antarctica ha ha. Want to make me an offer?

Florin

OG
Reaction score
You cannot be sure until you actually try to switch them. Some fit, some don't.

Reaction score

Yeah I thought this may be the case. I think il pass on the idea as I would need to purchase the bass from down country to get to try, Seems too hard. Il just sell complete I guess and buy a fretted 4 string which is what I want.

Thanks

Reaction score
I got a 4 string NT thumb if you would want to trade for your 6 string NT thmb :)

Reaction score
"proximity"= more than 2000km

"more than 2000km" = where most of my Warwicks came from. How many other countries are closer? I'm shocked you even bothered to make that distinction.

Stainless

Guard of the Fortress
Reaction score
I recognized that the necks of same eras fit. So all my Fortress basses from 93-95 have the same neck drillings.
But a Streamer neck with ovangkol didn't fit. You really have to try ;)

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
There's absolutely no guarantees even between basses that are the same model. In fact, same model may be more difficult because the holes will be approximately close but not good enough positions for a proper fit. Whereas if they are radically different, you at least have the option of drilling new holes.

Top Bottom