Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Will a Bartolini Preamp be an easy replacement for the standard MEC preamp?

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by damor, Mar 24, 2013.

1. damor

damor

Hi I have 97 Streamer Lx, which a few months ago I backed over with my car:(, Luckily the only damage was the shaft on the bass pot got pushed thru the pot, I brought a replacement pot to repair but have run into problems first removing the pot from the attached pcb board and now soldering the new pot to the pcb board, So now I'm looking to replace the whole preamp harness with a Bartolini Preamp Harness like in the link "http://www.bestbassgear.com/diagrams/4-6.gif" also take advantage that the harness has a mid pot and stack treble/bass in the same 4 hole configuration. The only issue I can see is I think streamers have active pickups?? and the bartolini is designed for passive pickups. Any Advice is appreciated cheers Damian

2. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

Hi Damian,
    Since you are talking about a Bartolini Preamp, it would be wise to ask them for advice. Normally you need different pots for active pickups, so maybe they have a different kit for active.

3. verb

verb Good Vibe Sponsor

Hi,
    As Florin suggested,an email to Bartolini would be a good idea.
    The RT signature model has active EMG pickups and a Bartolini preamp,here is the wiring diagram.
    http://www.warwick.de/media/manuals/Electronics/Metallica%20Bartolini.pdf
    As long as the preamp is ok with the signal level from active pickups,the main pot value to watch is the blend pot.
    You could add a Bartolini preamp to your existing vol and blend using their EQ pots.

4. damor

damor

Thanks guys will give them an email, So does my bass have active pickups?

5. verb

verb Good Vibe Sponsor

I think your bass has active pickups.
    If they have gold writing on them they are active,if it is silver they are passive,that's assuming they are MEC.
    It the writing has worn off,remove the battery and pull the vol knob up,if you have no output then they are active.

6. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

As Verb said, I am pretty sure your bass has active pickups, if it has MEC. We never made Streamer LX with passive pickups as standard.
    check for a red wire going to the pickups. If you find it, they are active :)