Why don't Warwick build headless basses?

Reaction score
Well, with all the perpetual talk about ergonomic problems and neck dive, I wonder why doesn't Warwick make headless basses. I love the Warwick headstock and headless basses sure look awkward, but it's such a clever concept, really can't find anything negative except the looks. And this would also reduce the total weight of the bass, which we know that is rather a lot with Warwicks.

Reaction score
odominguez said:
The first bass ever made by Warwick was headless.
So why did they abandon this design? It would mean no more neck dive ever again...

Reaction score
It's also supposed to eliminate dead spots, which both my ovangkol and wenge neck have at the usual place (6th-8th fret on G).

Reaction score
Now there's a can of worms! Some say (I disagree) that headless basses don't eliminate them - but most headless basses have laminated necks which DO eliminate them!

Interestingly, when I bought my $$ I tried a red stained one, and I hate to say it, it had real bad deadspots - G string - 5th and 7th frets. It also didn't feel anywhere close to the black one I bought.

This proves that staining a bass black eliminates deadspots! Agreed?

:lol:

Col

Reaction score
If I'm not wrong, less mass on the neck/headstock is supposed to take to dead spot higher, above the 12th fret where it's not as irritating. On the contrary, adding mass to the headstock takes it lower, but it would need a massive headstock to bring it below the low E (or B!).

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of the nobby or the steinberger style, but a headless
thumb would be interesting.

Reaction score
King Tut said:
This proves that staining a bass black eliminates deadspots! Agreed?

yeah black definately makes a bass sound better :D

LX

Reaction score
i personally don't like headless basses...it's like there's missing something very important.

i love these big warwick heads!!

O

odominguez

LX said:
i personally don't like headless basses...it's like there's missing something very important.

i love these big warwick heads!!
I agree to that

Reaction score
I dunno guys,mats olive wood fretless headless is beautiful,dunno how it feels of course but imho bung a head on that & bobs your uncle. :wink:

Reaction score
Sorry, but the look of a bass is important - IMO headless basses just look like dogs!

I agree with the "black theory" though - nothing sounds quite like a black bass :wink:

jay

Reaction score
saxonbass said:
Sorry, but the look of a bass is important - IMO headless basses just look like dogs!

I agree with the "black theory" though - nothing sounds quite like a black bass :wink:

I would say balance and playability is more important to me...

Reaction score
True... I've had some horribly balanced basses, but the $$ (with headstock) is just fine for me.

If the $$ was a headless-only option, I would, regretably, have to look elsewhere! A lot of the identity of the bass is in the headstock - think of all the shapes we recognise (Warwick, Fender, Ricky, Musicman) - plus, it's where the logo usually goes.... might as well show off what you've got!

Reaction score
Yes, like Saxonbass said, a lot of the identity is in the headstock.
I play Thumb basses and I've no problems with their balance because my straps are short and the basses hang high when I stand.

If some manufacturers offer fat-head and other things to obtain a better sustain in making the headstock heavier, I think that reducing the weight of the neck in this area may reduce the sustain, or you have to compensate with features you could put on a headed bass too.

Reaction score
That "Gumby" style headstock is more or less a Warwick trademark amongst bass players in-the-know.

Top Bottom