Which tuner pedal?

Reaction score
I picked up a second hand Artec tuner pedal recently and have found it very poor for the low B - fine for a 4 string though.

So which tuner pedals are people using for 5 strings?

Reaction score
I would use a Korg DT-10 any time. Fits in the effects loop, can be used for a mute switch, and it tells you the note so you don't have to press any buttons when you play in drop tunings. Awesome bit of kit. I sold mine and bought the rack mounted version.

Reaction score
Thanks. Not bad at £49 either.

Anyone want to buy the Artec? ;)

Reaction score
I've got a boss TU-2 which seems to work about as well as I could want it to.

Reaction score
The Korg DT-10 is starting to be a real icon. It's an incredible tuner and works well with most tunings, low B is no problem at all.

I used to have one, until I realised I had no need for the thing :p

Reaction score
Real Name
Jesse
i have a Fender Tuner pedal, its pretty sweet and gets the job done for multiple tunings

Reaction score
herb vibes said:
racktuner?

I don't have any rackmount kit, so buying a rack just for a tuner doesn't seem a good move really!

Reaction score
all clear! mine actually is just sitting on the amp and is not in the rack. i chose racktuner because pedaltuners are just to small for me, don't like any pedals on my stage + i'm playin' wireless...
back to topic:
i had a fender pt 10 not exactly like the boss tu-2 i bought later. the boss pedaltuner was good (but too small for me too)
the korg dt-10 seems to be very good and it's bigger then the usual pedaltuner you can get!

Reaction score
The Artec was perfect for visibility, but that was the only thing that impressed me about it TBH

thndrstk6

Mockup Artist
Reaction score
The best tuner I have ever used hands down is the peterson VSS2. It's extremely accurate. Any of there tuners are amazing though.

Reaction score
They do look nice, but £149 is excessive for a stage tuner IMO :)

Reaction score
thndrstk6 said:
The best tuner I have ever used hands down is the peterson VSS2. It's extremely accurate. Any of there tuners are amazing though.

petersson tuners are the shit. Seriously the most precise tuners I've ever seen.

There's one for 199 USD on perfect bass here

maddrakkett

R.I.P.
Reaction score
If you want a good pedal tuner that can also do strobe tuning, but doesn't have the high price of a Peterson (but not as accurate either), the Planet Waves Pedal Tuner is a great one, plus it has a solid weight, so it won't move around, and it comes in a nice chrome finish.

I used to use one of those and it handled the low B flawlessly. These days, I'm using an old Korg DTR-1 rack tuner, a classic standard, second only to the Peterson line.

thndrstk6

Mockup Artist
Reaction score
The planet waves strobe is a pretty good tuner. It's very solid too. I would still save up and get a Peterson though. They are great!

Reaction score
Another vote for the Korg DT-10.
Amazing tuner, big lead, very well built.

Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance guys, but I use a cheap Korg CA-30 tuner and also have a BOSS TU-80 tuner/metronome.

Both very cheap - maybe thirty or forty bucks Australian.

I plug it into the tuner out on my head and it's there whenever I need it. They both tune very easily and accurately.

What am I missing compared to some of these tuners costing hundreds of dollars?

:?:

Reaction score
Accuracy.

Cheaper tuners (this is not a rule) have weaker accuracy.
For sure they can track well, but they're just not as accurate as the more expensive ones. (The DT-10 is +/- 1 cent)

As an example, I have an old Boss tuner that I keep in my gigbag and while it shows that my open strings and octaves are in tune, my DT-10 shows me that my octaves are out of tune.

In addintion, better tuners have a greater frequency detection range.

While I can trust my cheap boss tuner for practicing and rehearsing, I'll never use it for setting my bass up or recording.

Being out of tune is one the worst things that can happen to a bass player.

thndrstk6

Mockup Artist
Reaction score
Andy V.,
On the nose!

I have a boss pedal tuner. If I tune a bass with it the bass will sound off when I play along with songs or to my guitar pro track.

I have a nice korg rack tuner but I still want a peterson.

maddrakkett

R.I.P.
Reaction score
Well, I love my Korg DTR-1 - it's one of the best rack tuners of all time - but you guys are gonna get me in trouble with my wife 'cuz now I'm getting bad GAS here in the hospital for that Peterson VS-R StroboRack rack tuner. At first I think it's overkill, then I look at my Warwick basses and SWR Mo' Bass rig and realize great gear deserves the greatest accurate tuner (my Korg is accurate to +/- 1 cent, but the Peterson is accurate to +/- 0.1 cent)!

BTW, nothing beats strobe tuning for the most accurate method of setting intonation!

Thanks all for the trouble you're gonna get me in... But me Warwicks thank you for feeding them what they NEED! :D

Top Bottom