Which Acoustic Bass?

kimgee

Wenge Taste Tester
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Real Name
depends on who's asking
Update on the acoustic journey:
I bought a brand spankin' new (only way I could get one unfortunately) Warwick RockBass Thinline Alien Deluxe 5 string. And the verdict is.............already sold it, at a loss, sigh. However, I did obtain this very unusual Kramer Ferrington acoustic. This is the second one I have owned. I did not care for the first one, but this one is different. I have never seen this headstock or bridge on one of these before. The headstock is not that god awful, in my opinion, hockey stick affair, and the bridge has brass inserts that the strings sit on. It's awesome! The acoustic tone is very nice and surprisingly loud. I put TI Acousticore strings on it plays and sounds great! Has anyone else seen one like this? I think they must be pretty rare, but I bet Dimarco can find one! ; )

DSCN6118.JPG
DSCN6119.JPG
DSCN6120.JPG

For some reason it's colors don't come our right in photos, regardless of what I try. It is actually more subdued brownish/tanish colors. Weird.

kimgee

Wenge Taste Tester
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Real Name
depends on who's asking
And we have a winner!

I am pretty sure this is the pinnacle of acoustic bass guitars. There are a few that I still haven't tried, due to thier cost, but maybe someday. Anyway, this is a custom build by a pretty much unknown luthier by the name of Gene Matisko. There is very little info available about this, obvioulsy talented luthier, but he did make guitars fora few big names, including Eddy VanHalen. This is the most informative site I was able to find when I was doing my due diligence, and it doesn't have much info:

This bass is of impressive build quality, and has a 2 octave neck - with no neck dive! The neck is a bit on the thick side, kinda like a P-bass. But the outstanding feature of this bass is it's resonance and unamplified tone. It's amazing. It will be hard to beat, but I still haven't gotten my hands on one of those very pricey Taylor acoustic basses yet.

Attachments

• DSCN6177.JPG
    DSCN6177.JPG
    183.1 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN6178.JPG
    DSCN6178.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN6181.JPG
    DSCN6181.JPG
    213.7 KB · Views: 11

kimgee

Wenge Taste Tester
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Real Name
depends on who's asking
Well, I have tried out 2 more acoustic basses.......both were disappointing. I bought both on Reverb. And let me warn any Reverb users, at least here in the USA, be cautious. Out of the last 10 basses purchased on Reverb, 8 have been not as described. I returned 6 of those, and I am still negotiating with one seller. I have no explanation for this situation on Reverb, but things seem to have started going downhill after Etsy bought them. Anyway, I tried a very nice looking bass made by Burke Guitars in California. The nice looking part was the only thing nice about it. In spite of being built from extremely high quality woods, it was substandard, at best. Internal bracing started falling apart in shipment, and an examination of the guitar revealed very amateurish build quality. It went right back. I also got my hands on a Taylor AB-3. I am still negotiating with the seller on this one, but I expect to return it. Lots of undisclosed minor problems. It is a pretty nice acoustic bass though. It has a unique design and is very pretty, but it can't compare in build quality, resonace, or tone with the Matisko. I was very surprised by this. I expected the Taylor to be more impressive. It is still a very nice instrument, but hardly the pinnacle of the acoustic bass world. I hope I get to keep it, but the seller is being unrealistic and will likely get it back.

Top Bottom