Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Which 10" Speakers To Use With Gk Mb Fusion 800

Discussion in 'Bass Amps & Cabinets' started by Corjein, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Corjein

Corjein

I'm just getting back into playing bass. I bought my dream bass, and my friend gave me an old GK Backline 210 amp that was just lying around. I was so excited, but when I plugged it in, we found out that the amp was dead.

I bought a GK MB Fusion 800
    . My plan was to take out the old head and use this new one with the old speakers, but I'm worried that I would just blow the speakers. (The GK Backline 210 is a 300w amp.)

Would it be possible for me to buy 2 new 10" speakers and use the old cab? If so, which speakers should I buy?

2. Hardy

Hardy Supporting Member Good Vibe Sponsor

Hi Corjein! Welcome onboard!

About your question: no idea! You mean you change the amp and all speakers? I'm a bit confused atm.

3. DiMarco

DiMarco nutcase Good Vibe Sponsor

As long as you're sensible, the speakers in the 210 will be fine. Especially if you use a compressor or limiter.
    Just don't feed a 210 lots and lots of sub lows, they don't handle this very well.

Did you know that an amp clipping is 90 percent of all cases the cause of speakers breaking?
    You see if the amp is underrated and pushed too hard it starts sending DC components to the speakers, causing the coils to overheat and burn.

You can always buy new speakers if needed, which ones to buy depends on your budget.
    I'd go for speakers GK are using in their current cabs so it remains an all GK thing.

4. RIP

RIP California U.S.A. Good Vibe Sponsor

FYI, that Combo Amp you have is rated at 200w, with an extension cab it is rated at 300w

But yes, your thought is correct. With the Amp you just purchased rated at 800w it will blow those speakers if you turn up the volume too much.

FYI, 800w is a lot of power so my suggestion is to not replace the speakers in your old combo amp but purchase (used if you want to save some money) a whole new speaker cabinet that will handle your new amp.

IMO you’ll save yourself a lot of frustration and time doing it this way

5. Corjein

Corjein

I appreciate the quick response guys!

Hardy - Thanks! It's nice to be here. I was trying to be quick, but I can see how my limited info can be confusing. What I left out was that out of anticipation and excitement of finally playing on my dream bass, I took apart the old cab. I built a custom one with the same specs that matches my bass, so I'd like to keep that custom cab. Honestly, if I can't I'll trash it and start doing things in the right order. That's why I am looking for 10" speakers that are compatible with the new head.

DiMarco - That amp clipping thing is interesting... I had no idea.
    I'm not really on a tight budget. I was planning on spending a few hundred on the speakers. My online research indicates that GK has fantastic heads, but not the greatest speakers.

RIP - I'm also looking at just buying a pre-built cab that can handle it, but given what I said to Hardy, I'm also looking at making it.

If I did make it myself, I'm guessing that I should run the power to the speakers in series, cutting the watts and impedance in half. The head would supply 560w @ 8 Ohms... so I'm guessing that I would need 2 x 200-300w, 4 Ohm speakers. Is that right?

Something like this

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    Hardy likes this.
  6. Corjein

Corjein

Aha... So I should go for speakers that can take the maximum wattage, and I shouldn't have the impedance?

I was looking on this website, getting my info about wiring (specifically, example 2).

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  7. DiMarco

Not really on a tight budget. OK.

10FH520 by FaitalPRO

With an XMAX of 7.25mm and the nearly flat frequency response up to 3.5khz these are SERIOUS speakers that will also sound great without any HF drivers.
    These speakers go for roughly 180 euros / 250 dollars on the internet.

Faital Pro are popular among higher end cab builders.

8. Corjein

Corjein

I was taken aback, when I saw those are 1200w speakers... AWESOME! ... eminence who?

9. RIP

RIP California U.S.A. Good Vibe Sponsor

Yeah, if you can get that cab to 500-600w at 8ohms your golden

Edit: I didn't see DiMarco's post....but yeah, what he said

10. Corjein

Corjein

Forgive my ignorance... I just wanna make sure that I'm understanding you correctly. You're saying that I should get two of those speakers, right?

I thought I would halve the wattage, so if I used two speakers, I would go with 300w speakers. maybe these?

11. DiMarco

Yes. The pair handling a maximum peak of 2400 watts, and 1200 continuous watts.
    Your output will be 100 decibels at 1 watt measured at 1 meter distance. Cab will be loud even at low wattage.

And since the maximum linear movement distance (xmax) is 7.25mm these babies can move quite some air. You will love them.

12. Corjein

Corjein

I'm more interested in fidelity than volume, so I appreciate you turning me onto the FaitalPro speakers. There's something about them being made in Italy that makes me think of a Formula 1 cars and Italian leather.... mmmm

I'm looking at the 10PR300 instead of the 10FH520. I like that the frequency range is increased from 60Hz-4kHz in the 10FH520 to 60Hz-5kHz in the 10PR300, however the Xmax is lower in the 10PR300 (4.92mm instead of 7.25mm). The wattage is cut in half (300 continuous and 600 max wattage).

So, if I used the 10PR300 speakers, I could power the 4 Ohm versions in series (2x 300w @ 4 Ohm = 600w @ 8 Ohm) or I could power the 8 Ohm versions in parallel (2x 300w @ 8 Ohm = 600w @ 4 Ohm).

Are these calculations correct? Is one configuration better than the other?

I'm not apposed to the price of the 10FH520s, so if there's a reason I should get them instead of the 10PR300s, let me know.

13. DiMarco

The cone shape of the 520 makes it more sturdy and have a larger effective surface. Along with the larger xmax value I'd think for a 2x10 they will be ideal.
    The 10PR300 will sound awesome too, but you will need more of them (ie a 4x10) to be as loud.

All depends on what you will need. In my case a 2x10 will not cut it in most situations - our drummer is really loud so I use a 2x12 cab from Barefaced.

About the extended range in the upper frequency: If you're gonna pair the 2 10" drivers with a HF unit the crossover will be different between the 10pr300 and 10fh520. You can buy standard crossovers for bass cabs from eminence which are designed as high pass filters either at 3500hz or 5000hz. SWR used to have their 2x10 xover at 5khz where Eden used a 3.5khz xover in their (almost identical) 2x10. Both ways will work okay.