Whats the deal Warwick? - Resurrection! Check page 3 for why

Reaction score
rumsurfer said:
Hey hello to the melbanders!

When is bass day in Syd??

I missed last year's bass day & i cant remember when it was but these guys run it.

hope this helps.

Reaction score
I wish I still had the unit so I could get it tested. From what I can ascertain, the unit I had must have had some fault. I have no reason to doubt what Oliver says is correct, and that the Pro Fet 5.1 delivers 500watts RMS.

I just assume the unit I had was not functioning correctly, as I would have guess it was around the 200-300watt mark at 4ohm. In all other areas, it functioned as expected, so I can imagine nothing would have showed up during QC testing.

Lets move on now...I have.

PS All aussies, I'm making an Aussie Warwick thread in Off topic..all aussies, especially melbanders come say hi!

Reaction score
odominguez said:
Hello rumsurfer,

When you use the ProFet 5.1 Head with a 4ohms cabinet, you should get the 500W RMS or pretty close to that. When you use the amp with a cabinet with higher impedance you will loose power. In this case at 8ohms, you wuld loose 30% of the power, and the amp will create only 350W RMS.

Thank You.

Thanks Oliver, that has been the straightest official answer I've gotten from a Warwick representative. I love the sound from the higher end Warwick amps and cabs (ie Quads) but I've heard so much criticism from various people about the ProFets, particularly after production was shifted to China. The perceived volume of the ProFet had been a constant criticism. As anarchyok was saying, the tone from the Warwick rigs are great.

Reaction score
thumperton said:
rumsurfer said:
Hey hello to the melbanders!

When is bass day in Syd??

I missed last year's bass day & i cant remember when it was but these guys run it.

hope this helps.

Thanks, I went to their website and sent them an email.

O

odominguez

rumsurfer said:
odominguez said:
Hello rumsurfer,

When you use the ProFet 5.1 Head with a 4ohms cabinet, you should get the 500W RMS or pretty close to that. When you use the amp with a cabinet with higher impedance you will loose power. In this case at 8ohms, you wuld loose 30% of the power, and the amp will create only 350W RMS.

Thank You.

Thanks Oliver, that has been the straightest official answer I've gotten from a Warwick representative. I love the sound from the higher end Warwick amps and cabs (ie Quads) but I've heard so much criticism from various people about the ProFets, particularly after production was shifted to China. The perceived volume of the ProFet had been a constant criticism. As anarchyok was saying, the tone from the Warwick rigs are great.

No problem.

Reaction score
So you're using the same cab with the new Nemesis as you were with the Profet? Even so, there are so many factors that can affect the volume output. Gain settings, EQ settings, even if both amps are rated the same, neither will necessarily have the same headroom (point before distortion occurs). For example GK heads are extremely loud because they have lots and lots of headroom to spare, like someone mentioned eariler this is due to the circuit, capacitors, etc. Just because the Nemesis is louder doesn't mean the Profet was stuffed. I had an old WT-400 giving about 250 watts to an 8 ohm Laney 4x10 and unless I cranked the gain right up you couldn't get a whole lot of volume, this did not make it broken. Before you go and assume things, you should test it under different circumstances. You only ever used the head at 8 ohms, so why are you even saying it didn't seem like 500 watts? Try the Profet through an EFFICIENT 4 ohm 4x10 and I'd imagine it would be fairly loud. Like I said, so many factors can affect the volume output, and 2 different brand amps with the same RMS output will not have the exact same levels of volume. Full stop.

Reaction score
Rick Tobin said:
You only ever used the head at 8 ohms, so why are you even saying it didn't seem like 500 watts?

He did say in his post that both the cabs were in phase, so I would have assumed he was using a 4 ohm load.

Reaction score
whatever the case may be,it's no step down to change over to an eden amp,they're pretty impressive amps imo.

Reaction score
Rick,
Yes, I did use the the head at a 4ohm load, through 2 cabs. With the Profet, I was using a Warwick Pro 410, and I am now using a Nemesis 410 with the new Nemesis amp. Both are 8ohm cabs.

I imagine the ProFet is designed to operate thru one of the Warwick Pro 410s, therefore your comment about using it through an efficient 410 is somewhat redundant. I also use both amps with no eqing, and similar gain settings. Your comment about amp headroom is correct though, and this is precisely my issue with the amp, that it is not comparable to other amps with similar ratings.

I'm also not only comparing this amp with my Nemesis, but also with a SWR Workingmans. Both of these amps put out close to 400watt into 4ohm, compared with the 500watt of the Warwick at 4ohm. In both cases, the Warwick is less powerful in volume than both the lower rated amps I am comparing it with. If you have read my post correctly, you would see that it is a SIGNIFICANT difference in volume. I've spent time researching about amps etc. I know that a 400watt amp is not that the same as every other 400 watt amp. So before you make assertions I have no idea what I'm talking about, please read what I have written.

Cheers mate

Reaction score
I hope I didn't turn this into an arguement. This is a nice forum!!
I'm glad you understood my comment about headroom, and I've read around on the net that this is a specific issue with the Profet and Protube series amps. They lack it and that's all there is to it. I'm glad you are happier with the output from your new amp. That's why I bought my GK! I just don't think you can judge how much wattage the Profet was putting out just by comparing it to another amp. That being said, if you liked the tone, you could have hooked it up to a cheap Crown poweramp or something, that would have been sweet! But enjoy your Nemesis, it took me a few tries to find the amp that I really dug.

Peace!

Reaction score
Yes, last thing we want to do is make arguements. Perhaps Rick has indeed discovered the issues I've been having, that is headroom issues rather than wattage issues. Thanks for that Rick!

Reaction score
quiet

I had a profet 3.2 for a while and also found it very quiet, so quiet infact i could crank it to full volume and pretty much full gain and still not have what i needed. However the sound was excellent and im a HUGE warwick fan so i dont mind it was only a short stay with me as a back up anyway

Reaction score
Thread resurrection!!!

I tried the new 5.2 version and its awesome!! I've been asked by Dominant to do a review of it, and it was a pleasure to have a Warwick amp back in the rig for a bit! So from probably the most vocal opposer of the 5.1, I can happily recommend the 5.2!

Read the review!

Reaction score
Oh, and Rick and I are good, good mates now after our little arguement!! So happy ending all around!

Top Bottom