what should i get?

Reaction score
I don't have a Warwick(yet), but I want one and was wondering what model I should get. I don't want to spend too mush, $2000 at THE MOST. I play in a jazz band, but also like to play heavier music, such as Mudvayne. I like the Thumb models, but they are expensive and I can't get one unless I find a good deal on a used one. I have also heard that they have bad neck dive, which I do not like. I would prefer a neck through model, but a bolt on is a maybe. Which model shold I get?

Augie

The Desert Bass-ape
Reaction score
You should be able to get a NICE second had wick for under $2K. NTs you should be able to score a thumb or SSI for that kind of cash if you keep your ear to the ground and keep an eye on ebay and the forum. Plenty of good bolt on models within your price range second hand. Its pretty hard to reccomend something as personal as a bass to someone. every bass has its pros and cons. Streamers can be heavy, thumbs are a bit neck-leaning, vettes dont have the body sculpting that wicks liked for, dolphins look wierd. However all of these have their own feel and tone, and being wicks they are all pretty much great to play, cut through and are almost bomb proof.
Try as many as you can. check out some sound samples on the forum. dont take anyones advice as gospel as everything is pretty subjective. Then go get a dolphin.;)
Welcome to the forum mate!

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
I would recommend a Streamer LX. You can find it used for much less than your maximum budget. It will be a safe introduction to the Warwick basses, as it's a great all around bass that can practically do everything very well. :)

Reaction score
Thanks. The more I think about it, the more I want to get a Thumb. I've tried two vettes, one standard bubhinga and a rockbass. I didn't like the way my arms were positioned(I currently am playing a jazz bass, which puts yor right hand right in front of you, and your left hand isn't too far away), with the vette your right hand is over more, slightly straining your arm to keep it there, and it has a long in the neck feel. I'm sure that's just something to get used to. I also really want the signature Warwick sound.

Reaction score
Ok, the Streamer lx looks like a good choice. I'll have to check it out.

Reaction score
You can get *any* really nice bolt on Warwick used for $1000, and most of the neck through basses for around $2000 (again pre-owned).

Here is a general range of bolt on Warwick models I've been seeing for sale locally and abroad:
Corvette Standards can go from $500-900
Corvette Prolines $700-$1400
Thumb Bolt Ons $800-$1300
Streamer LX $750-$1400

Augie

The Desert Bass-ape
Reaction score
Ok, the Streamer lx looks like a good choice. I'll have to check it out.

The LX is a great bass, big tone, and a lot of warmth from the P-Pup. I reccomend it highly. also worth a look (not as common and a bit more expensive) is the Jazzman. It has more of a clean/hifi kinda tone. less growl and a bit more clarity to my ears. but bolt streamers are a great way to go.
I have found wicks sit really well over your right hip a bit more than right in front of you. try them with a strap and let them really sit on your body. they are very comfy once you get used to them.

lasteffect

Forum Nudist
Reaction score
Keep this in mind, friend, that the Thumb sounds almost like no other. The 5 and 6 string models have 2 bridge pups, where's the 4 string has a neck and angled bridge. You get less p-bassy/woody tone out of a 5 or 6 string front pup than the 4 string model's.

Also, take in mind the fact of dark and bright tones. I play a Rickenbacker 4003 (bartolini pups & preamp), Thumb BO FL, Thumb NT, Corvette STD Bubinga FL and Corvette $$. I can say that none of them sound the same. Bubinga is clear, but aggressive. Ovangkol is more warmer or darker than Bubinga. Ebony FB is more precussive and clear than the warmth and growl of Wenge FB. Wenge is a tad darker neck wood than Ovangkol. Swamp Ash has alot of low mids. Maple is freaking bright! LOL!

All that said with just woods, then you look at pickups (Are you a fan of Jazz or P/J pups or Humbuckers or Soapbars?), the electronics, and finally body shape.

It all depends on every little bit to figure out what you are looking for. Honestly, I'd say the $$ is a good choice. You can use the two 3 way switches and get endless possibilities of Humbucker, single coil, and parallel. It growls the Warwick tone and it's a great bass. Now, picking between Corvette and Streamer $$ is up to you. The bodies seem flat, and you might want something more arched, I believe the Jazzman Streamer has an arched top, and is still another good choice.

Reaction score
There are a handful of brand new Streamer LX's on ebay going for under $2000. One is actually the nest serial number from my LX. If you need a NT, try and get a SSI, I have seen them go on ebay for under $2000 as well.

Reaction score
I play a $$4 corvette and I have to say I could not be more pleased :) I am planning on a thumb 5 NT for the real dry n gutwrneching metal tone, but the $$4 is very variable and as a real nice tone to it :)

Reaction score
If you don't mind importing, check out the Basschat.com website - several for sale there..or PM Warwickhunt..I think he's got more than one for sale and he knows a bit about them too..

Reaction score
in relation to the neck dive..its something you have to find out for yourself.strap and your build all play a part in it i think.strapbutton position too.just from my own standpoint,when i was a bit on the heavy side with a gut i never understood why people complained about neck dive,25kg less and yes i notice it a little but my wide strap helps so its not a problem.my point is you should try one for yourself if anything you will notice the neck reach more than neck dive.(neck feels alot longer and you might have a strech to the 1st few frets) everybody will have a different idea on what they think nobody wrong or right..try before you buy:) find a warwick that suits you and you will become an addict like us all..

Reaction score
I play a $$4 corvette and I have to say I could not be more pleased :) I am planning on a thumb 5 NT for the real dry n gutwrneching metal tone, but the $$4 is very variable and as a real nice tone to it :)

At first read, I though you meant a $4 corvette, I was like 'Daaayumm, thats cheap"

Reaction score
lol!
but compared to other series its awesome value for money when starting to buy into german warwicks and they are variable as well :)

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
From the TS's first post it is very clear to me he's got major GAS for a Thumb and want this to be justified more or less by us.
My advice: Listen to your gut and get yourself a Thumb, NT if you can afford one. It is what you've been wanting all along.

Reaction score
Check out the Stage 2 as well. They come up for sale around $2000 or less every so often. I just got a near mint 2008 for $1700 recently, and I've seen several recent year Stage 2's go for $1600-1800 in the last year or so. I see Thumb NT models selling for $1700-1900 on a regular basis as well. They aren't as common as some basses, but if you're patient, I don't think you'll need to wait long.

As for the neck dive on the Thumb...it all depends on your playing style. If I strap it in the same way I do most other basses (a little above my waist is where the bridge would be), it feels neck heavy and wants to drop. But if I strap it up higher on the upper part of my stomach, it naturally goes to a near-horizontal position, which is very comfortable, and then it doesn't feel neck heavy anymore and is easy to play. They have such a unique tone that, if it's one you like, I highly recommend the Thumb and just find the most comfortable way to play it. But in the end, well, I'm too much of a Stage 2 fan to recommend anything over that!

Reaction score
From the TS's first post it is very clear to me he's got major GAS for a Thumb and want this to be justified more or less by us.
My advice: Listen to your gut and get yourself a Thumb, NT if you can afford one. It is what you've been wanting all along.

I second that from Marco !

Follow your gut or heart or feeling or whatever .
One humble piece of advise , buy second hand cheap as possible , if in the end you find you don't like it , sell it and follow you gut again , its fun trying stuff out that you live with and Marco will agree i know ; there is NO substitute for experience . Go help yourself to a big dish of it , all the basses mentioned are cool .

Top Bottom