Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

What does everyone use (and how) to clean & condition your Warwick?

Discussion in 'Non - Official Warwick Customer Support' started by Hoggles, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Hoggles

Hoggles Supporting Member Good Vibe Sponsor

Hola friends and distant neighbors,

A little bored at work... and was curious what all you regulars use for the care of your Wicks and how you do it (natural finish)?

Body & neck care:

Who here actually only leaves the beeswax on for 2-3 min before you wipe it off? For example, every time I've tried the "2-3min" as suggested, it is a mess (so is 5,10,20 min). You just wind up smearing semi-hardened wax everywhere and then really having to press hard to try to get it off and make the finish look good. The way I've done it for many years now, is to leave a very thin, smooth coat of wax on for 45min to an hour. Then, it's all dry and you buff it to a glorious shine. Totally smooth. To me....that's what the label should say... "leave on for 45 min". Now, purely for cleaning, I wipe it on and then immediately go back to where I started and wipe it off, before it has dried at all.

Also, who here uses something other than Warwick's beeswax? A Howard's product? A butcher block conditioner? Is the emollient in Wicks beeswax, mineral oil, like Howards?

If you use a non Warwick conditioner....are you happy with it, or is it just because it's cheaper?

Fretboard care:

So, there seem to be some conflicting opinions on FB care. I've heard people say that you should never use "lemon" products, yet Warwick promotes lemon products for FB cleaning in their videos. Has W just not gotten with the times, or thought about it that much? Or is lemon for sure ok? Granted, I do know that "most" lemon products don't actually contain lemon or citric acid. Just the smell. But some do.

I personally use Nomad's F-1 oil for my all my dark wood FB's, including Ebony. Really good stuff. From their website:

"We chose not to use any lemon oil because it contains d-limonene, which is a strong solvent that is used to remove paint and glue. In addition, we believe the high acidity levels of lemon oil can dry out the fretboard over time and require more frequent fretboard care."
    http://www.musicnomadcare.com/f-one.html

My very limited common sense says....that makes sense.

So, what do you use for your FB's? And how often do you do it? I oil the board's about every 2 months or so.

Hope you're all having a great day!

EDIT: Sorry Flo, guess this should have gone in the General Section. Feel free to move it if need be. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2016
  2. Henrythe8

Henrythe8 Supporting Member Dolphin Hoarder

Lemon oil is not for maple fretboards, hence the conflicting info.
    Otherwise, i just rub the beeswax on the bass for 10/15mn, and that's it. No buffing, no nothing, just active rub. :)
    And then I use another cloth to wipe.

3. Hardy

Hardy Good Vibe Sponsor

The one and only conditioner for all bassparts is ofc the almighty and all universal glow-in-the-dark...

UNICORN SPERM!!!

4. Hoggles

Gotcha on the Maple FB's... I know they require something other than what dark woods require, so I don't think there is any conflicting info there Henry. The conflict is what lemon oil has in it (d-limonene, a solvent used to remove paint & glue and high acidic levels)....and that those ingredients should never touch raw wood etc.

Warwick does indeed still promote Lemon products for their dark wood FB's. Which to me seems very strange.

[video=youtube;uIbiw8nlrgU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIbiw8nlrgU[/video]

I wonder how much Warwick has really thought about Fretboard care? Seems like a strange thing to say about a worldclass guitar maker, but I'm a little surprised they still promote it, rather than a lemon free product. I would think they would be a little more progressive with the care of the fretboards :)

Thoughts?

5. Shelby Jansen

Shelby Jansen

I use lemon oil on all my bass fretboards and have for ages even on my guitars. Ebony, wenge and rosewood boards. Never used on maple though.

6. Hoggles

Gotcha. Yeah, I know full well people have been using lemon based fretboard conditioners for decades...and their frets aren't falling out ;) But it's always good to question things every few decades :lol:

For me...after reading up on some of the "possible" negatives of lemon (d-limonene), I think I'll stick with a lemon free conditioner.