What do the maple starbasses sound like?

Reaction score
I'm really curious about these. Are they really thuddy and a typical hollowbody? or are they like hollowbody guitars? Bright, chimey and airy. If it can do both, i'd be really happy with one =D. I like lots of sounds...so lots of GAS :twisted:

Curtis

Editor De Bassist magazine (NL)
Reaction score
Within a couple of weeks my local shop has one in. I'm a sucker for hollowbodies and semisolids. I used to have a Vox Saturn IV, an Epi JCS and a Starfire and I still have a Epi Rivoli and a Rickenbacker 4005WB. So they promised me I could use it for some days to try it out. I hope to have an answer on your question within some weeks.

I have to say: I haven't tried the 'normal' Star Bass, so I can't compare.

There was a maple one on the Messe. Flo?

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Hey Curtis,

It was a maple one too, and I've tried it there one morning (before the coffee) But I usually need more time to really feel how is the bass.

It was nice, and it felt good. I think it is a great bass to play with flats. Thuddy, not airy as an accoustic guitar.

Curtis

Reaction score
I have a maple Star Bass at home for some days. Not mine.

I won't have to tell you that it's a beautiful made bass. It's a Warwick.

First I tried it on my little Vox T-25 practice amp at home, which sounds quite warm.
The bridge pick up sounds already warm, but those lows are very thight. Really Warwick-like. I think this is because of the very tight/strong neck and wenge board? Highs are sparkling. People underestimate the importance of very stiff truss rods in Warwicks, compared to like a Gibson EB2. Everytime you touch the strings of an EB2 the neck bows a little bit. Not that much of course, you can't see it, you can't feel it, but it affects the sound. Warwicks are so stiff, you always have a very thight sound. That's why a Warwick 5-string sounds good with 34", while cheaper brands neeed 35".

Going over to both pick ups gives the most even sound. The balance between the four strings is great and the sound is again fat, but more 'compressed'. A very good rock sound. Even and less standard-Warwick.

Going over to the neck pick up is bááád! In a nice way! This bass is phat! The bass delivers very fat lows, but also thight and not as muddy as a Gibson EB2 or EB3. Strange thing is I missed some mids, but I still heard some sparkly highs. Almost if I was playing with two outputs like the Rick-O-Sound. So very warm, with some sparkle and just very usable.

Last night I tried it in rehearsal with a Fender BXR300 15" combo. Not my favourite amp, but it's always there so I use it. A bass always sounds comletely different when used with drums and guitars. What surprised my was the quite aggressive sound. A Gibson EB2is smooth, warm, clean and with such a bass you just make a fat layer of bass underneath the guitars. Not the Star Bass...
I liked the neck pick up best. Warm, fat, but also quite aggressive in a nice Warwick kinda way. Maybe the pick ups could be lowered a bit. But it was fat, but also pushing through the mix because of this aggressive edge.

I always find it hard to describe sounds, but I hope you get an idea.

Playablilty? Nice small 38,5mm neck. The satin finish feels lovely and like this bass is played for years already. It's no ergonomically well built bass like a Thumb or Corvette, but I guess that's no surprise. The bass has a little neck dive, but not in a very unpleasant way. I play T-bird and Buzzards basses. Neck dive is my middle name.

A year ago I tried a Japanese Gretsch White Falcon Bass which has almost the same price tag. Great TV Jones pick ups, 34" and a very versatile bass. This Star Bass sounds a bit like the Gretsch, but slightly more 'modern' and it's built much better.
I like it!

Reaction score
Nice review man

Hasn't helped my GAS situation though!!

Lex

Warwick Endorser
Reaction score
Same

My next CS is going to be a Star Bass... watch this space, people...

Ian

The Undecided Frog
Reaction score
Mate... You're unbelievable.

Curtis

Reaction score
Sorry guys....

Will Warwick notice if I send back my reissue natural Korean Epi Rivoli (ex neck break) in the flightcase instead of the Star Bass?

Curtis

Reaction score
BTW: A bit Gibson Trini Lopez, but what about a CS Star Bass with Buzzard headstock?

da-vonk

Warwick Enthusiast forevah
Reaction score
BIG thanx for the review Curtis... but errr... could you please post some sound clips of this beauty ? ... and some pics maybe ? 8:

Curtis

Reaction score
Rob,

I'm busy with it, but I don't have recording possibilities at the moment. I hope to have that soon, but to late for the Star Bass, I'm afraid..

I'll make some pics.

Curtis

Reaction score
Okay guys, more bad news.

Monday I tried the bass with my rockband. (lots of short notes) Today I used it with my female fronted pop band. So a lot of long notes and nice melodic stuff... And it's even better then!
This normally doesn't ever happen, but both my drummer and singer/guitarplayer complimented about the great and clear bass sound. Normally I'm always too loud. This time I was louder than ever but never tiring. Each note is as good and even as the others. Smooth, still a bit of agressive growl, but very even on the whole neck. On every position. And just a very nice and wide sound.
And I played on a very old and bad Trace Elliot 15" combo. We rehearse in a very damp bunker. Everything electrical dies within a year but that TE still works, but very bad. And still sounding good with this Star Bass, Enough said.

Florin

OG
Reaction score
There are many nice, interesting, unique basses out there.

Warwick have a characteristic - you plug the bass, and it sounds just fine! Always, with any Warwick.

Top Bottom