Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

What did you play before Warwick?

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by Vinnie, Nov 24, 2006.

Tags:
  1. ssebah

ssebah

Very short list. But I used them for quite a few years before buying the next one.

Cheap "frankenstein" bass - had a les paul body, weird neck and headstock, single coil pu and no pots (lost it)
    Hohner HRB STD (still have it and it's undergoing a few repairs)
    Ibanez SR305(still have and use it like hell)
    '98 Warwick RB Corvette Basic(still have it but it's has a blown preamp and one tuner is missing)
    '98 Warwick Corvette STD(still have it)

Going to save up for a CS Buzzard J/H (maybe)bubinga/wenge/ebony mix. Funny mix but I'm still thinking about it.

2. Hardy

Hardy Supporting Member Good Vibe Sponsor

Join the club! I did not dare to change the pickup setup nor the wood combinations. But it would be nice to know what the differences would be in the end. Your setup is interesting indeed!

3. A.G.E.N.T.E.

A.G.E.N.T.E.

Well, let me see.. in order of aperance.
    1- Maison - JP
    2- Slammer -Jazz bass
    3- Washburn XB 400 bantan
    4- Cort RB4 (Rob Elrik design)
    5- Ibanez SR745WNF
    6- Warwick streamer Bolt On

4. SynapticGroove

SynapticGroove Good Vibe Sponsor

Ben
    In order of appearance, from 1992 on:

Early 90's Peavey Fury (p-bass clone)
    Yamaha BB300 (which I eventually de-fretted before it became a Pollockesque art piece)
    1997 Warwick Corvette Standard
    Dan Armstrong lucite bass re-issue
    1994 Alembic Epic
    1994 Warwick Corvette Proline 6
    Warwick Ltd's

5. Anthony Calderon

Anthony Calderon

So I was looking at getting into my first non-solid body guitar. Had a strat/tele/LP. I played in a worship band and a bit of bluesy stuff on the side.

I had been eyeballing the Epi Sheraton II (in Ebony) and the Gretsch G5120 (in Orange). I was aware of the differences between these two guitars, but what could I say? Epiphone or Gretsch? These two had caught my eye and I went back and forth between them for my next guitar purchase.

I couldn't choose so I ended up with Warwick. No regrets since.

Hardy likes this.
  6. Hardy

I played: Pignose bass (really!), Chery JB copy (complete crap), ESP Ltd (was ok) and then Fender (some where good, some not).

UK Ken and bassment73 like this.
  7. bassment73

bassment73

Squier, Peavey, Ibanez, Cort, Musicman, Spector, Fender. Then I properly discovered Warwicks. There was a period where I had both Fenders and Warwicks for a while, then the Fenders eventually went! I still actually like a lot of other brands, but the 'sum of the parts' in terms of what Warwicks offer just works for me. Taken over 25+ years of playing to reach that realisation though :) !

UK Ken and Hardy like this.
  8. RichardL

RichardL

Random no name bass, cheap ibanez (still have, with heavy modifications, fretless now), very nice ibanez(sold for pennies on the dollar, young and dumb), SX jazz bass, fender dimension V mim (hated it), now I have two warwicks. Love em both, but idk. Might sell one and get a fender MIA P-bass.

Hardy likes this.
  9. DiMarco

DiMarco nutcase Good Vibe Sponsor

The quedtion is what do you play AFTER Warwicks.

The answer is Zon and Fodera.

10. Hardy

Seriously: No. Warwick for life. No other company combines quality and complete craziness like those guys in Markneukirchen.

UK Ken and DiMarco like this.
  11. DiMarco

It's just that Warwicks sound very different from those other basses I have. They broaden my palette so to speak. I really like all of them and it is nice to have all that tone at your disposal.

UK Ken, bassment73 and Hardy like this.
  12. Madmaskbass

Madmaskbass

Wow Zombie thread! I like it! Warwick forum has some awesome older content. I used to play ESP basses before a 5 year break where i stopped all music and focused everything (too much) into my career. When I returned i bought a 2015 thumb having never played one in my life and never looked back...still basically play an hour a day after 4 years returning to music.

I had a B305 ESP Ltd that was a killer bass
    I then thought i would get flash and bought a Japanese ESP Std btl5 for a big amount of money..it was 19mm spacing and it honestly was a bit vanilla sounding..lost huge money selling it..ergh was a mistake. looked killer though.

Hardy and DiMarco like this.
  13. DiMarco

I think it is rather safe to say that after having played Warwicks, one does not simply settle for any mainstream bass any longer.

Yesterday after having practiced my current lesson material and reaching for the Dolphin Pro 1 for this because that was the lightest playing instrument in my arsenal, I thought to myself "hey this can't be right! - a Warwick should not play better then a Fodera or Zon because f*** that! every high end bass should play that good!".

In another thread I recently also openly wondered why there is all this adjustability on a Warwick and to what extent this is actually useful. - Now I have my answer: ease of use getting it all set up to play perfect, light and fast. Even when temperature and humidity are playing their part on your neck wood. The Zon basses have no truss rods so all I can do on those is lower the action by moving the bridge saddles down and then correcting the intonation. If the frets on those start wearing off there will be no compensating for that.

Sure enough I did spend the time to get my setup right on the Fodera to play equally light but would I have done so if the Dolphin wasn't so ace? I can't be certain I would have... Anyway the Fodera now does play as light and has the 19mm stringspacing which is proving handy getting my doublethumb technique up and running with both the more narrow and regular stringspacing. Both the Dolphin and Fodera are now playing as light and easy without any unwanted fretnoise going on. The G string saddle on both basses is bottomed out so there's no going any lower then this with the action.

We are living in blessed times bass brethern - so many great basses are around it is nothing but a big fat parteeeeeee!

UK Ken, Madmaskbass and Hardy like this.
  14. DiMarco

BEFORE Warwicks I played too many brands to count. Some of the ones I remember are a hand built Chris Larkin six string which had a neck like a log and weighed way too much for its size, an Alembic series one which I totally hated (it had zero character and responsiveness), a number of Rics including a five string with REALLY narrow stringspacing and an Ibanez Soundgear which played like a dream but was sonically dead.

I started out though on a Jazz Bass and recently found myself returning to that formula - just higher end versions of it. The single coil pickups positioned like they are on a Fender Jazz will cover ANY situation. So Jazzes they are. Both the Zon Sonus 5 and the Fodera NYC Empire 5.

Hardy likes this.
  15. bassment73

bassment73

Hi Marco

Interesting what you say about the Jazz bass formula. I agree that sonically those pickups in those positions are ultra flexible to get most of the tones we could want. I also think it's easier to fatten up a single coil to sound more like a humbucker than it is to try and get a humbucker to sound like anything but a humbucker. That being said I've never really loved the shape of Jazz basses, but I like a similar pickup configuration in other basses e.g. my LX5 is in a way a kind of 5 string active jazz with a slightly different voicing, but kind of doing a similar thing I guess.

Hardy likes this.
  16. DiMarco

Well that's kinda the reason for the pup configuration on the hyperjazz I designed.

hyperj_body2.jpg

Front coil of the twinjazz is at exact sixties Jazz Bass position, making the rear coil sit close to seventies position. Neck pup at Jazz Bass position where it intersects with the E string. I am able to switch either bridge pickup coil on/off, and between series and parallel mode when both coils are on using those three jaguar type switches. I went for these switches because I can visually pick up what mode I am currently in. That helps at my age. LOL.

I have owned this bass for over a year now and the objective while designing it was to get as much different tones out of a passive bass. History has now proven the following: I only ever use it as either a humbucker (both coils in series) or as a single coil (the front one to be exact). Those two are the most distinct sounds the bass has, the other two (rear single coil or both coils parallel) sit in between those two flavors.

In single coil mode the bass cuts really well and has that jazz bass like upper mids growl going on. In humbucker mode it sounds more bassy, blending more with the mix but less articulate. Both of course have their pros and cons depending on what you want in a given musical situation.

And yes, the Hyperjazz is in fact a Jazz Bass / Dolphin Pro 1 hybrid. Just a passive one. Sadly the Dolphin Pro 1 does not become fatter and blending better but rather more nasal sounding when switching from single coil mode to the other. This has its use but by no means sounds like a humbucker.

RichardL and bassment73 like this.
  17. bassment73

bassment73

Very interesting Marco. Particularly like the idea of the twin jazz at the bridge to be able to switch between 60's and 70s sounds (when both neck + bridge pickups engaged). I can always hear the difference between 70s and 60s jazz basses in recordings and it's amazing how just that change in position of the bridge single coil affects the phasing that goes on between neck and bridge pickup to create very distinctive tones - particularly for slap. For example if Marcus Miller started playing 60s position jazz basses I think it would affect his tone more than you would first think.

DiMarco likes this.