Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

What did you play before Warwick?

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by Vinnie, Nov 24, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Michael J

Michael J

Those Japanese 80's Fenders are real tresures!

My friend (Who plays everything... and somehow manages to be better than me at bass too) has a 1985 P-Bass Lyte. Great bass. He said if he buys another bass itll be a Warwick tho!

2. ThirdthumB

ThirdthumB

Those talented musicians who play bass "for fun" AND are actually kicking le derriere doing it sure give me low esteem sometimes............ :(

3. Michael J

Michael J

4. kdlunde

kdlunde

I started out with some no-name bass in grade school. Then a Gibson hollow-body (have never missed it), followed by a Gibson Les Paul (warped neck, don't miss it either), then a '79 (or '80?) Ibanez Studio Bass (sold it to pay for a wedding ring, first bass I missed). Then, a hiatus of almost 20 years and then re-discovered the fun of playing bass. Had a Carvin 4-string, then a fretless Carvin 5-string (both sold), then to my current '05 Thumb5NT, and expecting a CS White Dolphin Pro I 5-string in a couple days!

- Kern

5. maddrakkett

maddrakkett R.I.P.

I had been a guitarist for 25 years, too many guitars to name, but highlights were a Paul Stanley Ibanez, custom '80s B.C. Rich Eagle and Mockingbird, a Valley Arts Strat (loved that one!), and a Paul Reed Smith Classic bolt on (my favorite of all!)...

Switched over to bass a couple years ago and here's the "bottom" line up:

- Ibanez BTB 6-string (sold)
    - Dean Edge 4-string fretless (sold)
    - Squire Vintage Modified Jazz (which I've customized and still have)

Then the Warwicks came on board and I now own three:
    - 2003 Corvette Std. 4-string fretless
    - 2006 Corvette Std. 4-string fretless with beautifully figured Tigerstripe fingerboard
    - 2007 Corvette $$ 5-string, Nirvana Black

6. Callum

Callum

I began playing on a 4 string yamaha bass, i forget the model number. Then a few years later i got a 5 string ibanez edb605. Last year i got a rock bass streamer fretless 5(my first fretless). I loved the rock bass so much that on my 18th birthday back in november of last year i got my family to pool cash and got my $$ which i'm in love with and was my first warwick and most definatly won't be my last....mainly due to me having bought a 96 standard bubinga covertte off ebay yesterday :D

7. fourphatstrings

fourphatstrings

I started playing bass on my dads Fender MIM Jazz but when it came to the time when I needed a bass of my own I bought a Thumb BO second hand for £400. Owning a decent bass as my first bass really helped me improve my basic technique quickly because it plays so nice I could never put the thing down!

8. Goran

Goran

My first one which I still have is Fender MiM Jazz bass, the second one is Corvette Stnd Ash 4 strings. I'm still waiting for Corvette Stnd Bubinga fretless 4 strings..thou I played and borrowed dozens of other basses. ( PB's, yamaha's, ibanez's, jazz's, stingray's...)

9. spikeymac

spikeymac

1. Fender Precision Light : traded it after a week:)
    2.Fender "Power" JazzBass : loved this bass played it for 5 years , Recorded in the studio with it .still regret that i sold it! wonderful sound.
    3.Spector bass , 2 years , gave it to my dad as a present.
    4.some Peavey (I dont remember the model) sold it right away
    5.Bass collection fretless bass , not bas but was difficult to play soft on it.
    6.Squier JazzBass , defretted it & sold it after 3 months
    7.Status 4 strings , Great bass , awsome tone & feel traded it after 2 years for the same but 5 strings.
    8.Status 5 strings , Played it on most of my studio work, amazing bass!
    had it for 8 years.
    9.Ibanez BTB1005EOL 5 strings Custum shop hand made bartolini Pickups & custum electronics , Awsome bass , Funk Machine!
    10.FBASS Alain Caron 5 strings fretless , hand made , cost me 7000$ , worth each $ , Piezzo pickups + Bridge custum pickup , beautiful instrument , on another league.
    11. Warwick Streamer Stage 1 1991 , just got it a week ago , love it , Funky bass , got this Jaco vibe too.can play every thing with it , my favorite 4 string bass!!!
    12.Warwick Thumb 2006LTD Dirty Blond 4 strings , Got it a week ago , great bass Funky & everything, lovely woods , it is more of an investment.
    ....ah , I forgot , I had a Fender Jaco Pastorius relic tribute bass (not the artist one) , cost me 3000 , Sent it back same day that it was shipped , since ordered the Fbass insted. I love vintage Fenders , but this one was not what I was looking for , it didnt feel right & didnt sound right for the price payed.
    Also has a Yamahe TRB for a while , great tone , but not my style of bass.

All in all , Fbass , Streamer & the BTB are my favorites , but the Dirty Blond got some amazing tones to it that i cant get with the other basses....

10. Gman

Gman

I started out on a Kay (I think) bass which I bought off a mate for £50. It had a broken truss rod so the action was like a metre high or something....still I got really strong fingers from playing that! LOL

Next up was/is my Yamaha RBX800 which I modded - I stuck a Bart jazz in the back and put an EMG active bass and treble in, which made the world of difference. I still have it and it's great to play - a lot of bassists have commented on how nicely it plays.

I owned a 5 string fretless Patrick Eggle Milan for a while (I worked there making guitars) but they didn't heed my advice on necks and build and as a result it was a big pile of poop! Fortunately I flogged it for more than I paid for it 8)

Now I've got my Flamin Blonde on order and can't wait to get it. I played Spectors, Bongos, Stingrays and even Fenders to make sure I was buying the right animal. Only the Bongo came close in terms of interesting sound but didn't like the looks or playability of it.

G

11. Mr Bassman Sax

Mr Bassman Sax

Rockbass Corvette

I started with a 5 string Stagg, then bought a 5 string Rockbass Corvette with actives. Because I wanted a 4 string I bought a vintage warp bass for under £200 but got disapointed with that :lol:

Then with inheritance I bought two $$ and love 'em

It was the rockbass that got me hooked and I knew a proper Warwick had to be great.

12. tdc

tdc

Unfortunately I don't own a Warwick yet, and I feel too ashamed to post what my current bass is ^^

13. bigthumb73

bigthumb73

Don't be ashamed of the bass you play. The important thing is you play bass!
    It took me 16 years to get round to buying a Warwick. You'll get one soon enough. :D

14. Grgzilla

Grgzilla

Dont be silly bro.The brand of bass is irrelevant,your a bass player,that's all that matters. :wink:

15. toeturecellbass

toeturecellbass

I started in about 1988 with a Series 10 P-bass copy , then with a little saving I bought a Fender JP-90 (inproduction for only 2 years) then came a Squier P-bass then a Fender Custom Shop Jazz ( I wanted purple paint) in 94 my wife had complications with her pregnacy and was bed ridden for 5 monthes. So my collestion dwindled out till there where none left. IN 1999, after my Divorce my friend wanted to learn to play so I went and bought an Washburn XB to give him lessons with very good bass for 199.00 I then traded that for another Washburn I think they make a nice intrument. After that I bought 2 Yamaha RBX off a guy for 300.00 I sold the Washburn and 1 of ythe Yamahas. I went to a show and a band fired their bass player someone metioned to them I played bass. I tried out and got the gig they used 7 strings so I wanted a 5 string and bought a Rockbass Vampyre 5. Loved the 5 string so much I sold all 4 strings. I shortly after bought a Rockbass Fortress 5 string and I LOVE this bass. I got rid of the Vamp to help get my Ampeg rig. Then after a lot of hard work and knuckle breaking I go the money and purchased my first Warwick a Corvette Standard 5 string Bubinga!!

16. Stroud

Stroud

wow...thats quite a story :)

17. toeturecellbass

toeturecellbass

Its been a wild ride but here I am thumping away!!

18. JBassFox

JBassFox

I have a Fender Jazz bass. It was my first and only other bass so far, and I still absolutely love it.

19. Bic

Bic

My first, and now my first port of call as a back up bass, is a Yamaha BB G4AII. Served me tremendously well ever since I got it.
    Prior to that though I borrowed a friends bass, think it was a Vintage of some sort.

20. DiMarco

DiMarco nutcase Good Vibe Sponsor

Digging up old threads bro? The gap is rougly 5.5 years...
    I played Lego before Warwicks.