What are you listening to..ATM?

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
I thought you might like this with a young Stanley Ckarke on double bass.

Dang! Chick Corea on keys and Tony Williams on drums too! I had no idea any of those guys played with Getz. Awesome!

Got that on LP
There's an early one with Miroslav that is cool
And Birdland obviously

I've got "Night Passage" and "Tale Spinnin'" on LP. "Heavy Weather" and the first one with Miroslav Vitous I have on CD. The track I linked above I actually have on a two-CD "Essential Jaco Pastorius" collection. It's a fun overview, with tracks from Joni Mitchell, Pat Metheny, and Herbie Hancock, along with the expected Weather Report and solo Jaco tracks.

Reaction score
When CDs came out I started forgetting album and track names
"It's Track 5, yeah"

When I complain of young people and their disposable music I am reminded my age group paved the way

Reaction score
I've been listening to some The The
- James Eller the 'tour' bass player turned up on Talk Bass today

I've been listening to U fucking 2
- because I'm writing some beginners lessons

I've been listening to James Brown
- because I watched Soundbreaking 4 on the Floor on the weekend

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
Never presued with any vigour
He's in my Joe Jackson, Aztec Camera, Denim/Felt 'area'

But yes I should investigate

Start with "Element of Light". Some great bass playing on that. Robyn's relationship with bassist Andy Metcalfe is not unlike that of Elvis Costello and Bruce Thomas. As long as we're on the subject, Joe Jackson and Graham Maby have a similar relationship as well.

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
I bring up Robyn Hitchcock because I saw him live (solo acoustic) two weeks ago. It was my fourth time seeing him (I'm even in the audience, though not on camera, for the "I Often Dream Of Trains In NY" DVD).

Last weekend I saw Adrian Belew Quartet, with Julie Slick on bass. I came home from watching her inspired to do two things: practice with a plectrum more, and set up an envelope phaser setting on my Orbital. They played a lot of King Crimson stuff, and even dipped into the Zappa song bag for "City Of Tiny Lights" (that's Adrian on the original).

And speaking of Zappa, I just got home from the Zappa Hologram tour. The band was a dream team, but the visual aspects of the show were kind of cheesy and corporate, like a Vegas-style Zappa revue. The whole thing felt a bit like one-upmanship, and if you know anything about the feud between the Zappa sibs, you know it probably was. I also felt the show leaned too heavily on what I call "Zappa Lite" ("Dinah Moe Humm", "Camarillo Brillo", "Stink Foot", etc.) Still, you can't really complain about any set list that contains "Farther O'Blivion" and "Alien Orifice".

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
I bet some of you will enjoy this:

Reaction score
I am listening to Grupo los Santos, their version of Chan Chan (which you may remember from the Buena Vista Social Club album) is beautiful, and the double bass is remarkable

Reaction score
Oct 31 1967
Live in Stockholm
Miles Davis Quintet

Check out "Footprints" it's almost ridiculous that 5 people that good were alive at the same time let alone on stage

PaulS

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Jester initially submitted this on the "Spot the Warwick" thread a few days ago, and I'm still listening. By the way, the bass looks like a Fortress 5.

Thanks again Yanni!

The intro of that song is like pure King Crimson lol. Very cool

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
Jester initially submitted this on the "Spot the Warwick" thread a few days ago, and I'm still listening. By the way, the bass looks like a Fortress 5.

Thanks again Yanni!

Glad you enjoyed it ecto! A friend posted the following vid on facebook, it's what introduced me to Gavin Harrison:

The intro of that song is like pure King Crimson lol. Very cool

If you don't already know it, Harrison plays with King Crimson, besides Porcupine Tree.

Reaction score
Taking a trip down memory lane with these two tunes from Trower's R&B phase when Rustee Allen provided some cool bass lines-

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
I'm currently listening to a random shuffle of the great German band Can on Spotify. This is the track currently playing. I've never listened to any of the songs on this album before, because it has the reputation for being their worst album. But I have to say: I like this track anyway.

Top Bottom