Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Warwicks & tropical weather

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by lordie, Jul 9, 2008.

1. lordie

lordie

i'm currently own a Warwick Rockbass Streamer 5 and its due time that i need to upgrade to a real wick. Owed a few ESP's basses as well.

i surf around in the local bass forums (singapore) and a lot of folks are advising me against purchasing a Warwick. i am planning to get a Warwick Taranis or FNA Jazzman or a $$ corvette.

They told me that warwick doesn't last long in tropical weather and the neck tend to warp and go out of shape and a number of players (a short list) of names appear that seems to have similar problems.

what are the experts here reckon, should i abandon my warwick and for for my 2nd choice a Spector euro. Or is their claims are unfounded and theres a walk around to use a wick in tropical weather. Its a heavy investment and i really don't way to spend more $$ fixing up the wick.

advice pls thanks for reading.

2. Lewis

Lewis

i think the whole neck warping thing is a bit of a myth, i thinks it only happened a few times, well at least alot less than alot of warwick haters say it does anyway.

3. Lewis

Lewis

even if the neck does warp, there bolt on bass'es anyway, so warwick would just send you a new neck, its 99% likely not to occur anyway.

4. lordie

lordie

so i should just go ahead and place an order for a wick? i never dealth with wick customer support, how is their turn around timing in terms of getting a neck replace?

5. Lewis

Lewis

i dont know dude, all i know is that if your neck gets fucked up, all you do is send it back to warwick and they will send you a new one. just like an exchange.

6. lordie

lordie

yeah that be ideal scenario but dun want to wait a few mths to get it replace tho ;p

7. Lewis

Lewis

yeah mate, but is so incredibly unlikely that the neck will fuck up anyway, so you dont even need to worry about a replacement.

8. Grgzilla

Grgzilla

Hi Lordie.
    I've also heard of some stories about Warwick necks & tropical weather.I've also looked into some of these claims & only found one owner that had a problem,which was promptly fixed.Everyone else that claimed to have had trouble either wasnt the owner in question,or they were simply repeating something they heard from someone else.I now pay little attention to claims that Warwick necks dont suit tropical weather.
    We have several members here that live in the Asian tropics,some own more than one Warwick & yet we've never had a single complaint from any of them.
    Warwick necks are extremly stable,multi laminate designs.If the humidity affected Warwick necks in the way some people have described,imagine how a single piece Fender style neck would fare.
    If you buy your Warwick bass new,from a registered dealer.It comes with a 2 year warranty.If anything happens within this time,your dealer handles any service or repair.So the turn around depends on how reliable your dealer is in warranty situations.It's best to deal with a dealer you feel confident with,even if they charge slightly more than their competition.
    So to put it simply,you have nothing to worry about if you buy a Warwick bass.I'm sure some of my fellow bass brothers will agree.

9. lordie

lordie

thanks to be fair, the local dealer here in singapore swee lee are a terrible dealer they have rather difficult policy and unreasonable pricings. i purchase some items from them at a premium like 60% more than SRP in other online webstore and they don't have the model that i wanted and ordering thru them would take roughly 3-4 mths even tho i got friends that work in that company.

i will be getting mine online via a webstore delivered via fedex since i got a corporate accounts that give me the best rates for international shipping.

will warwick honor those warranties? considered if i bought new and not used? its going to cost me a pretty penny and i wanted this to be a long term investment.

10. Grgzilla

Grgzilla

The warranty applies to basses bought new,from a dealer.Wheather you buy it online,or in person. :wink:
    You have dealers that charge more than the SRP?That's not good at all,& a violation of their dealers agreement.The RRP,or SRP or MSRP is the maximum price they can charge you.This applies to any manufacturer,not just Warwick.

11. lordie

lordie

that gives me a peace of mind in terms of warranty ;p

as for the dealer they are monopolised and are sole distributor of quite a number of brands and unlucky me that 1 of the brands they monopolizing are wicks. which is position as unatainable for the majority a $3k bass online will cost $5k via that dealer and the price of the rockbass that i bought i can easily top up few hundreds and get me a real wick. talking abt that dealer makes me feel more piss off.

anyway thanks for the advice, in 1-2 weeks time i will be a proud owner of a wick :)

12. Grgzilla

Grgzilla

Sweet,I hope you'll be very happy with your new bass.Post some pics when you get it.We love to see new bass pics.

13. IncX

IncX

Philippines here ... my country is located very near the equator and i currently own a Darklord BO and a Vampyre SN... i have previously owned a Buzzard BO5 that has been to the states, shipped to my country, and then shipped again to the states (its now with DS1) ... and the neck has yet to warp.

i am waiting for my vampyre LTD that i hope To Infinity shipped already and im thinking itll be 2 weeks or less before i get it.

yep... ppl have been telling me not to order those set neck or neck thru warwicks cause it has been known to warp.

screw them. ill only believe them when they have at least 1/3 warwicks that warped... most of the ppl who claim "neck warping" dont even own a single one.

14. meroma

meroma

Not exactly

Hi,

I'm not living in tropical weather conditions, but I would say still in extreme weather conditions. In Finland. So in my scenario I will leave from home during winter time to practise. In my apartment temperature approx +21 oC, outside -15 oC. Travelling in car, at first -15 oC -> then heating up to perhaps +5 oC. Then again outside -15 oC and inside between +15 to 20 oC.

During winter months, heating of houses will dry up air inside the buildings heavily, unlike in tropical areas. I think dryness is worse for wood, than high humidity. This is the reason why I buy my basses with some kind of surface treatment ( color oil at least ), to protect the wood. Neck anyway isn't been treated.

So far I haven't had any problems with my Warwick necks ( I've owned three). I don't have to regularily adjust truss rod for example. Of cource when travelling in different temperatures tuning suffers a bit, but not much. My Warwick necks ( ovangkol ) have stayed still very straight and I haven't heard any complainments from other Warwick users eighter.

15. jester

jester ocdemon Moderator

Yanni
    Strange, I have heard the exact opposite, that Warwick necks cope with extreme climate conditions really well. Think about it, the woods on a Warwick neck are very hard, it's a laminate construction, it's quite thick a neck and it's reinforced with steel bars.

16. maddrakkett

maddrakkett R.I.P.

You could also buy a humidifier, like those used for acoustic guitars. Just keep it in the case or Rockbag with your bass and it will reduce or keep the humidity from ruining your bass.

But I also agree that the warwick neck is more solid than the maple necks of most basses where you live. Also, many Warwick bodies (like Thumb or Corvette Std. Bubinga) are made from the same or similar woods as their necks and only oil-finished. These are to be waxed regularly to preserve the wood. The models you are looking at use a colored oil finish that cannot be waxed. They have to be lightly cleaned with a damp rag. A humidifier is probably not even neccessary, but keep an eye on your bass just to mak sure. I can't imagine that a Warwick would be a problem and other lesser basses wouldn't...

You'll be fine and a happy owner. Welcome to the family! :D

17. lordie

lordie

thanks for the advice, 1st time wick owner but this is definately not going to be my only wick ;pp

for those with myspace website, i've added u in ;p

18. golem

golem Philosopher King

`

Amongst all the various respected and well established bass makers, I
    wouldn't worry about one brand being inferior to the others concerning
    neck stability in extreme climates. There's always gonna be SOME risk,
    but none of the good brands has any special vulnerability.

Now if you wanna be toadally paranoid [sometimes thaz the right
    thing] .... and go for invulnerability of your neck, concerning extreme
    climates, then the answer is simple, but it's not Warwick. You want a
    synthetic composite neck. You can buy composite necks for Fender,
    GnL, and EBMM basses, or you can buy whole finished basses from
    various makers like Modulus, Moses, Status, Steinberger, and Zon.

BTW, I'd avoid a natural wooden FB on a composite neck for use in
    humid climates. It will make you crazier than an all-wood neck and FB.
    It's bad enuf dealing with the differing expansion rates of 2 different
    species [and cut angles] of wood. The difference between a wooden FB
    and a composite [non-expanding] neck is a huge difference. Along that
    idea, if the Warwick CS will make you a neck from all one species, like
    their older necks that were wenge necks with wenge FBs, I'd say that
    would result in less vulnerability to climactic effects on the neck.

`

19. trujo777

trujo777

people that bash Wics 99 % of the times have never owned one and they have heard these same myths from their other Fender-only buddies who have to keep on requesting and doing neck swaps because of these issues.

I have never heard of Warwick not backing up their product and this is whay all my other basses are gone now.

Hope you make a good decision and prove them wrong as we have been trying but those cheap Ibanez and copies make bad reputation for all bass manufacturers.

20. golem

golem Philosopher King

`

....... and the other 1% don't really mean it, or even care. Some of us in
    the 1% even play Warwicks, but we still have fun bashing them cuz the
    extremely loyal Warwick defenders are just way too much fun to watch
    when we provoke them in that way :)

`