Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Warwicks, fashion and the Starbass.

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by rjb, Sep 30, 2008.

1. rjb

rjb

Hi

I've been recently reading views about Warwicks and the current trend towards traditionally shaped guitars in rock bands. Many feel that Warwick is suffering because their range is seen as too "muso" oriented (Metal/Jazz/RnB).

I do have some sympathy with this view.

Now just this year Warwick released the new Starbass. I personally think that a mid-level version of this would be a great way for Warwick to find favour with those who are after the traditional look.

So what do you guys think?

P.S. I own two Thumbs. I care little about being trendy myself - fashion left me behind long ago. :D

2. naetog

naetog

i have no love for the star bass personally. I don't really care for the traditional looking basses/guitars. If I did I'd get a Fender or one of it's many (better) clones.

3. Grgzilla

Grgzilla

The Star Bass is modelled on the Framus Star bass of the 1950's.To make a cheap version wouldnt be true to it's vintage roots.Warwick's owner,Hans Peter Wilfer's father Fred,founded Framus.So there's a kinda personal interest in releasing it.

4. rjb

rjb

"To make a cheap version wouldnt be true to it's vintage roots"

Why not? It's never done Fender any harm. A mid-level version (Corvette STD price if possible) of a trad design like the Starbass might widen the appeal of the brand.

5. Martin Such

Martin Such

yeah, and release of a Fiat-Punto-priced Ferrari would widen an appeal of the brand as well, wouldn't it?

But sometimes the image of the brand is not just about a widest appeal possible. Sometimes it's rather about the best product possible, with no important costs being cut.

6. rjb

rjb

"Sometimes it's rather about the best product possible, with no important costs being cut."

Warwick make a Thumb NT and a Thumb BO for considerably less. Them's the facts.

What's wrong with a mid-priced Starbass?

7. ThirdthumB

ThirdthumB

I don't see no problem. But maybe it can be a different model ?? I have had interest in the LINE6 Variax bass, and one of the reason that I'm not getting it, is because it looks "traditional". Not my cup of tea. Similarly, I can imagine some people liking the sound of Warwick, but not liking the modern looks...........
    I'm still rocking with my Thumb of course. :twisted:

8. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

Thumb BO is not the budget version of the NT one... Simply a different bass, with more attack and articulation. Many bassist actually prefer the BO thumb.

9. flipper_gv

flipper_gv

the reason behing the difference in price is the construction. Since all warwick basses have the same neck, well they can mass produce necks that will fit to every BO warwick. Also, BO construction needs less time. First, it doesn't need a lot of attention like the NT (it doesn't need to have to someone to glue the sides perfectly while the BO has (I think) holes ready when it gets out of the CNC machine, as well as the neck) and the BO version doesn't have to wait for glue to dry. All these reason make the thumb BO less costly to produce, explaining the fact that it is less expensive.

10. Grgzilla

Grgzilla

I did my best to answer your question.If you dont understand,I'm sorry.I can ad nothing more.

11. golem

golem Philosopher King

`

I'm all for a thinline ax priced like a Vett or StingRay,
    or just not too much higher than those. If Rick Turner
    can do it, frrom his small craft shop type facility, then
    Warwick can do it.

No reason it should be a semi-clone of the Star Bass.
    The outline of the Fortress or Streamer could serve as
    the basis of something like the semi-hollow ASAT.

#&@#&#@&#&@#&@&#@#&@&@#&@#&@#&@#&

If you wanna see a very cool Wick-like semi-hollow
    ax, just look at the SpectorCore.

It's a Spector, so the DNA splicing is duck soup. Put a
    Warwick bridge on it, a bubinga top, an ovangcal neck,
    and it will pass as a Wick on any stage. Maybe there
    should be a joint model, a new reproachemente.

MTD and Lakland share a common hollow-body bass.
    Lakland offers it as both USA and Skyline models. It's
    not like Spector has never done business that way, as
    in the days of the Spector and Kramer "arrangement",
    and not to ignore his licensing of the initial Warwicks.

Not long ago it was illegal in the USA to sell computer
    stuff to China. Now we buy that stuff from China.

So, do you call it a "Wicktor" or a "Spectwick" ?

`

`

12. Curtis

Curtis Editor De Bassist magazine (NL)

The Star Bass is completely different than a Framus Star Bass, even the looks.

I think it would be nice to see a cheaper, vintage looking Warwick or Rockbass. Like a Rockbass Stryker:)

13. Callum

Callum

+ 1 i'm prefer the BO to the NT, at least on a fretted bass. And in all other cases the BO's have different woods to the NT counterparts so are very different!

Using budget model as a term always has negative connotations, a more affordable semi-hollow warwick would be pretty cool, maybe a hollow corvette or as mentioned earlier a streamer type bass. The whole concept of the star bass is more comemorative, and i think it should stay that way, i quite like how there are some really high prices warwicks, and the more affordable ones. Its even better when there is meaning behind a model.

Although there is kinda a point to be made surrounding the looks of a bass, and that some basses are more 'fashionable' than others, those 'fashionable' styles tend to suit the more bog standard bass tones, and tend not to require too much bass work. Thus can get away with fenders/music mans, Rickenbacker and that stuff. Just making a bass based on looks to suit a certain stereotype seems like a cop-out to me.

14. Grgzilla

Grgzilla

This is why I said,"modelled on" & not,"a re-issue of".Modelled means similar to.Not identical. :wink:
    There wont be a RB Stryker or Buzzard.Both models are a kind of collboration between Warwick & the John Entwisle estate.
    Notice how both models have their own headstock design & the Buzzard BO has the Warwick headstock?
    I mean,it'd be nice to see every Warwick have it's own RB counterpart.But these basses have to sell to be viable.

15. Grgzilla

Grgzilla

While were looking at facts,consider if the Thumb BO were meant as a budget model it wouldnt have expesive woods like ovankol & wenge,as well as other pricier features.
    The Star Bass is a new model.Less than 1 year old.In time,if there's demand.There might well be a cheaper model.But I doubt it.Warwick build high end basses.Rockbass build the more affordable kind.There's something for each need & player in the current range.
    Dont take this the wrong way.But what may seem like a great idea to one person,could mean commercial suicide by a marketing company.There's a good reason Warwick have grown the way they have,achieved commercial success & become more than a smaller builder.It's down to wise descions when it comes to,"what to sell & for how much".Over 100,000 instruments sold in just 26 years is a pretty good achievement. :)

16. rjb

rjb

Hi Folks,

With regard to the Thumb BO, I own one and certainly wouldn't term it as a budget model, but it will be cheaper to produce because of its construction.

My overall point was that, with the current trend for vintage looking basses, Warwick might do well to consider a mid-level model like the Starbass that will attract those who think Warwicks are basses for RnB and metal.

Obviously the numbers night not add up for Warwick but it was just an idea that I thought I'd throw out there.... :D

17. Curtis

Curtis Editor De Bassist magazine (NL)

Framus has a big history with great, vintage looking basses. Vintage looking?? They are vintage!! A nice and affordable Framus bass would be nice. Like under 1.000 euros. Maybe a Framus/Rockbass?

I suggested this to HP once, but he said they're very busy with Framus guitars and Warwick basses and this has no priority.

It would be nice in future though...

18. catworm

catworm

+1 to Greg and Florins posts.

The Thumb BO is upwards of £1000 for the standard 4 string version. If it was budget, it wouldn't have expensive woods, a contoured body, and 'W' on the headstock. Warwicks aren't budget, Rockbasses are there for that purpose, although they are way above the leagues of other 'budget' basses out there

19. rjb

rjb

"The Thumb BO is upwards of £1000 for the standard 4 string version. If it was budget, it wouldn't have expensive woods, a contoured body, and 'W' on the headstock."

I know, I own one. If you read my posts you'll see that I never said it was a "budget" bass. I meant that it is cheaper to build as compared to the NT, the point being that a given bass design like the Starbass need not be limited one one price bracket.

In any case, we're getting off track here. The question was: should Warwick consider making a mid-range traditional looking bass to expand its appeal?

20. Callum

Callum

Imo no, warwick does what it does, and its very successful at it. I think making a traditional looking bass without the traditional tone would imo be disastrous. When i see a say fenderesque bass i expect a fendereque tone, likewise with a warwick. Different brands do get labled for genres, and certain tones sometimes don't work as well in certain situations, whilst others excel in these areas, warwick to all its credit has the metal and RnB tones nailed, but ofc many people use them for a lot more like every bass really, name a brand and i bet its been stereotyped to a genre at some point. If that genre is a more popular one then the bass may become more wide spread, such is the way things work.

It also sounds that making a tradition bass kinda goes against warwicks strive to improve and innovate the bass guitar as we see it and hear it, something which in my opinion is refreshing!