Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

WARWICK TUBEPATH OR EXTREME?

Discussion in 'Bass Amps & Cabinets' started by Ronny, May 5, 2008.

1. Ronny

Ronny

I'm thinking about buying a new head for my Dr. Bass speakers.

4x10 ported cab w/horn and 115 & 8" cab with horn.

I have been using the Trace Elliot AH500-7 head for a while and find the compressor to be pretty noisy. Not sure if this is normal.

I like tube amps but also like some sounds of solid state amps.

Anyone tried both the Extreme and Tube Path heads and have any opinions on which might be a better choice?

Also, what about reliability?

I've also looked into the new Carvin bass amps. Their BX1200 is sweet, but it does not color your sound at all. I am looking for a signature sound and being in the USA... I thought having a Warwick head would give me that since most guys don't even know how to get one.

Thanks for ANY input!

Ronny

2. Mr Bassman Sax

Mr Bassman Sax

I have the X-TREME and it is very reliable. Never had a problem. It has so many options and I'm still finding them nearly two years on. I can't speak for the Tubepath but you wouldn't go wrong with the X-TREME unless you want some valve overdrive.

3. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

Hey Ronny, welcome to the forum man!
    I don't know what to say about Carvin amps... they color the sound, but maybe not in a nice way.

Tubepath and Xtreme have the same build quality. They are good reliable amps.
    Tubepath will give you a vintage tube sound, but you can dial some modern sounds too, using contour. It is warm, and cuts trough the mix very well. You can set it even to have a gritty tube saturated Lemmy sound.
    Xtreme have a modern, growly sound. It is very articulated. I always think "Tool" when I hear the xtreme sound.

They are really loud for their rated power. I am pretty sure an Xtreme will be louter than a Carvin at the same rated power.
    Cheers/ Flo

4. Lewis

Lewis

id buy them both :lol: , nah id prob get an extreme, nice solid state sound and tough as guts.

5. Mr Bassman Sax

Mr Bassman Sax

If you look through this part of the forum you'll find lots of posts about the same question.

6. rusty

rusty Fatburger bassist

Just to add the tubepaths side, I have the tubepath 5.1, great amp, very loud, warm & punchy, very reliable, read my old post on the burbon incident!!!

Nice to have the valve preamp!

Cheers

Rusty

7. Simon Farmery

Simon Farmery Warwick Endorser Warwick Endorser

I have both I got a second hand Tube Path 10.1 on Ebay and the Extreme is great for touring as there aren't any tubes on board and the Extreme also has Compression where the Tube Paths don't.

You can't go wrong. There both great heads.