Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Warwick Thumb NT + Ampeg SVT-4 Pro EQ settings to get Warwick Growl

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by reebis, Jul 2, 2014.

1. reebis

reebis

Hello Everyone,

I have a Warwick Thumb NT with an Ampeg SVT-4 Pro and 4x10 Ampeg HLF cabinet. I need help with getting the classic Warwick growl we all know and love.

Please help with the correct EQ settings on my Warwick as well as the 9-band EQ settings on the Ampeg. Not only is there a graphic EQ on the Ampeg but several other settings as well. I am not good at these technologies and EQing so any help is GREATLY appreciated. I just can't get the tone I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance!

Reebis

2. bassinurface

bassinurface

I would recommend keeping your amp as flat as possible, cut more than add. Set your basses eq for the sound that your looking for. You should get the real sound of the bass uncolored.

3. reebis

reebis

I will give it a try but if I do that I will lose out on a lot of headroom from my Ampeg. I will bypass the EQ and are you suggesting keeping my pots on my Ampeg flat as well?

As for the bass EQ -- crank up the mids higher than the lows with slight treble?

4. theBassPark

theBassPark

Thumb's growl is always there no matter how you set EQs.

With the onboard EQ usually I boost the bass about 50% and boost the treble a little.
    I use the amp settings only to make the bass sound cut thru the mix better without messing up the overall balance with other instruments.

5. reebis

reebis

Side note -- beautiful basses guys.

So you leave the mids flat? What range of the pickup pot do set it to? That's also another problem -- while playing with guitarists if you don't have a good balance especially with the mids I don't cut through the mix. I just can't get the meaty hum I want. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong. It's driving me insane.

6. DemBoneZ

DemBoneZ

I never have an issue with just boosting the bass and a little treb. If your not cutting through the mix - turn up the volume ;)

7. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

I would leave everything flat, that was the perfect sound for my taste with thumn NT5. Ampeg SVT4 can be a little muddy, so maybe boosting in the 3000 HZ area is a good idea :)

8. Morgoth

Morgoth Sir Paul of Thumbalot

You shouldn't have any issue cutting the mix with a Thumb NT5. ;)

BTW, better leave everything flat. Works great with a Thumb. :)

9. Henrythe8

Henrythe8 Dolphin Hoarder

I will +1 with Monsieur Florin and Monsieur Morgoth.
    Toying around with the EQ is pretty hard when you're not sure of what you want to achieve.
    If you want to get a distinctive Thumb Growl, you'll need to set everything flat. Especially on Ampeg that are a tad high on the low freq. (What they call high are usually high mids).

start with everything flat on the amp and start playing with the knobs on the bass. When you have the right sound, or the closest to what you want, then play a bit with the EQ on the amp. Start flat and CUT frequencies. And when you've acjieved what is the right sound, keep the eq pattern and then you can go in the Boost section.
    I had an Ampeg SVT 400t, I usually let everything flat, and add the High Boost. With another setting for the graphic EQ for Slap (it was switch-activated).

The problem is, the sound you can achieve alone can of course be ♣♣♣♣ty when playing with the band.
    I suggest you spend a part (or a full) rehearsal trying to tune your sound with the band, so each can have a clear sound.

10. Nachobassman

Nachobassman Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!

You are not getting THE GROWL out of a Thumb NT? Weird.

I have a couple of thoughts about it:
    1.- Maybe you should check some different strings.

2.- You may need a clearer amp. I mean, the amp may be colouring so much your sound that your losing the growl.

11. reebis

reebis

I will bypass the EQ on the Ampeg. Set all of the pots to flat (middle position) for both my bass and Ampeg. There are several switches on the Ampeg as well such as: ultra high, ultra low, limit defeat. Depress (deactivate) all of those as well?

I will do these changes and upload a picture tomorrow. Thanks everyone for the tips. Don't leave yet! As I said I am no good at this. What sucks is I'm trying to figure this out in a small room so I really can't turn up or my ears hurt lol. I actually just figured out about turning up the gain until right before it starts to distort then turn up the volume per a youtube video on this amp.

I will upload ASAP.

12. thefitz

thefitz

Never, ever, EVER use Ampeg's and ultra lo switch. Were you using it They turn any bass into that ridiculous Fieldy tone. Elevator cables slapping against a dumpster.

If those are off, and you don't go too crazy with the EQ, you should get a growly Thumb.

EDIT: For now, turn off the graphic EQ.

Always turn off and ultra lo, experiment with ultra hi and bright switch.

Give a slight boost (~3db) of the bass and treble knobs. Experiment setting them between 1 o'clock and 2 o'clock.

I'd experiment with the following mid settings:

Frequency position 1, midrange knob between 10 o'clock and 11 o'clock (dry piano tone)
    Frequency position 2, midrange knob between 1 o'clock and 2 o'clock (throaty Jaco tone)
    Frequency position 2, midrange knob between 10 o'clock and 11 o'clock (scoopy slap tone)
    Frequency position 3, midrange knob between 1 o'clock and 2 o'clock (honky Warwick tone)

I think you'll find something there you'll like. If and when you do, you can turn on the graphic EQ and dial in conversely.

DOUBLE EDIT: For reference, if I was using the graphic EQ, I'd set it up like this:

33Hz: flat
    80Hz: 2 lines up
    150Hz: 1 line down
    300Hz: 2 lines down
    600Hz: 1 line up
    900Hz: flat
    2kHz: 2 lines up
    5kHz: flat
    8kHz: 2 lines up

13. Henrythe8

I'll have to disagree.
    P-Bass with Ultra-Low gets a Red Dirt Metal booming sound.
    More seriously, it's to be used with caution and not for a first EQing session. But I liked the Ultra Low for a dirty metal sound.
    The Ultra High is more of a HiMid Boost that I used quite often.
    The Graphic EQ, I used only as a "Slap Style setting" that was triggered only for Slap and Solo part, kind of a general boost.

But Fitz is right about the general Modus Operandi described.

14. thefitz

thefitz

Granted the Ultra Lo function is different depending on the model of Ampeg amp, but it generally comes with an absolutely massive (up to -20db!!) mid cut RIGHT in the bread basket (~650Hz). You are literally sucking the life out of the tone. Especially with the portless, tweeterless Ampeg fridge, this makes no sense to me.

I will concede that mid scoops sound great with neck pickups, as long as they're well-placed and tastefully done.

15. Henrythe8

OK. I never experienced this cut in mids. Tu Ultra Low only boosted the low on my All Solid State amp.
    As for tasteful mid scoops... Well. Let's say I've never been very tasteful...

Anyway, enough digressing. So, Reebis, where are the pics and the clips :) ??

16. reebis

reebis

Sorry fellas here are the pictures.

So I have done what you guys suggested not the last few post (yet). I added some pictures of my other gear i have in my effects loops. Well at the moment I only have the BBE Sonic maximizer acting as my compressor and maximizer. I have a SansAmp NYC DI and a VTB1 Studios tube preamp I have bought in my journey to the tone I want (they are not hooked up right now).

So right now I'm getting the low hum slide growl but lacking the highend growl. My pops are clear and sexy but I'd like that bubinga tone to really smack you in the face. I was thinking of cutting the high pot next.

I put my bass pots as follows: mid - full blast, highs cut about -3, and lows +3 or 4ish. You see the rest of the EQ in the pictures which I did to shape the mid frequency at number 3. Should I enable limit defeat?. Everything else is disabled.

Thanks so much for the support guys. It's been driving me up the wall for years now. I have a Thumb 5 BO as well that has Ovankol wood and no pot for mids that I can't get the growl out of either. I figure I would have to use the SanAmp or the EQ to really shape that as well. I also have a fretless 4 string corvette. I need to update my signature like you guys have :). But most importantly is my Thumb NT. I love that damn thing. :)

I won't be around later since I have a 311 concert to go to WOOOT! I will try some more tomorrow. You guys rock!

Attached Files:

17. reebis

reebis

test

Attached Files:

18. reebis

reebis

I had this huge response to everyone with the pictures and it didn't post. FML. So I'm going to try to attempt to remember everything I touched on.

Hello Fellas -- I posted the pictured above in a test after it failed to post my novel.

Thanks again for all your guys support.

I have my MaxCom in my effects loop. The BBE is providing my compression and maximizer. The other devices aren't included. I bought these in my never ending search for the best tone. What do you think of these items? Do you guys use any DIs or compressors etc?

I haven't got to try thefits EQ tips yet. Here's what I did. Flattened/disabled all the Ampeg settings then worked from the Warwick flat. I cranked the mids full blast I have the lows at about +3 or 4ish, and the Highs I cut about -3. I then added the EQ to make the mids come out even more on the ampeg (see in picture). I get the low end sliding hum/growl but the pops are clear and sexy but lack the bubinga growl/smack to your face. I'm thinking I need to cut the high pot on the Ampeg. I also have the neck pickup at about +2. I play slap/pluck hard style, strum etc. NO PICK HERE. :)

I won't be able to test tonight since I have a 311 concert to go to. WOOT!! I will do this tomorrow for sure. I will also do a horrible phone audio recording and post it.

19. reebis

reebis

Here's my other Ampeg Tube amp. Sounds good but again I suck at EQ's :). I'm starting not to like my Ampegs. We'll see. 20140703_125716.jpg

20. Hardy

Hardy Supporting Member Good Vibe Sponsor

I do not use my Streamers nor my Thumb with my SVT CL. Tried it a lot, couldn´t find the right sound (at our rehearsals) too. The CL works great with the Reverso, just a split coil, all flat, aggressive playing - fine!

You can twist the knobs of an Ampeg in any direction, the character of the amp stays the same.

Seems the best solution for most of the Wicks is the Hellborg preamp. At least this is what I read in this forum.