Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Warwick Thumb B B a radio receiver?????

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by 2tone, Jul 24, 2006.

1. 2tone

2tone

At a recent gig I had my bass strapped on with the volume up and turned so that I was facing my amp to make a quick adjustment. I was surprised to hear something that sounded like a radio transmission coming from my amp. Our sound guy said he heard it intermittently during the gig. Apparently it has happened with two different amps and two different guitar cables. I can't hear it at playing volume, but he says he can hear it in between songs. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tom

2. yos9

yos9

Are you playing through any effects? I used to have this problem with effects only, no matter what amp or guitar I was playing through.

-Yos

3. Escobon

Escobon

It's possible that you have a grounding problem inside the bass. Open grounds are notorious for pulling in radio signals. Open grounds are often caused by loose connections, or cold solder joints in the ground circuit. In these cases, even the output jack can be suspect.

Check this thread...

http://www.warwick.de/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=332

O

4. 2tone

2tone

No effects - just straight through the amp(s). I never had a problem with my Fender Mustang through the same rig(s). I am familiar with grounding symptoms/problems in passive basses/guitars and how to fix them, but have no experience with active electronics. If it keeps up I will contact Warwick.

Thanks for the input!

Tom

5. Escobon

Escobon

Good luck Tom.

O

6. Jarman

Jarman

aparently it is common with cables without goldtips, hense why many pro cables use goldtips! its somthing to do with the cable acting like and arial!

7. naetog

naetog

My Vette picks up weird chirping signals from my tv remote. I noticed it when I was playing late night with headphones next to my girlfriend while she was flipping channels.

8. 2tone

2tone

Well - It happened again last night. It is more evident when the treble and volume are turned up on the bass. I just emailed Rob Bush. I REALLY hope he can come up with a solution to the problem. It wouldn't even be that bad if I could use the pickup panner as a tuner so that I could get a station that I like :shock:

9. Men-O

Men-O

In most cases this due to badly shielded cables, which could cause the cable to work as an antenna.

In most cases, so there is room for other possibilities :wink:

10. 2tone

2tone

I just heard back from Tyler at Dana B Goods. He suggested checking for ground problems and instructed me on what to look for. If I don't find anything I will try one of my buddy's Monster cables and see if that does the trick. I have never had a chance to tinker around with active circuits before so this should be interesting.

11. bassterd

bassterd

I've have a corvette and a streamer and I had the same problem when I first bought them. All I did was put some copper shielding in the control cavity and it got rid of the problem.

12. 2tone

2tone

Well everything is grounded properly - I did raise the pickups a bit and am using less volume and treble on the bass (more on the amp) - That seems to have handled the problem for now, I will probably shield it when I get a chance. Thanks for all of the input !!!!

Tom