Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Warwick Strings - What Is Actually The Difference?

Discussion in 'Bass Strings' started by Gnermo, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Gnermo

Gnermo

A few years ago Warwick has ventured in to the bass string market and released their lineup consisting of the Red Label , Yellow Label and the Black Label.

The red's are the cheapest, and the range moves up in prince going from there.

Has anyone ever tried all of these and noticed a significant increase in quality, or is it just a clever price hike?
    Can't say much other then the Red Label strings that I have tried were very stiff and they didn't last very long.

RIP and Dazed like this.
  2. Hardy

Hardy Supporting Member Good Vibe Sponsor

Good question.

And don’t forget the EMP series. High priced. They sound good, but they „die the wrong way“. Once their time is over the sound quickly gets dead and useless.

jester likes this.
  3. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

Yellow label and black label are in the same quality range, yellow being Nickel, and black SS :)
    Above them are EMP's that are black labels with a coating.
    Yellow and black are better quality than reds, and EMP are the same strings as Black Label, but last 5 times longer.

Dazed likes this.
  4. Gnermo

Gnermo

Right, but that still doesn't say much.

Are they rebranded strings from another company, or are they designed by Warwick themselves?

5. Dazed

Dazed Good Vibe Sponsor

EMP’s are coated right? How do they compare to Elixirs?

So if yellow are nickel and black stainless, what are reds?

6. Gnermo

Gnermo

Red's and Yellows come in both Nickel and stainless.

7. DiMarco

DiMarco nutcase Good Vibe Sponsor

My experience with EMP is bad. Had three sets and in each of them the E string would sound dull within two weeks while the other three strings still sounded fresh. Black labels last longer!

I bought two new asian Warwicks, which were strung with red labels from the factory. On both of those basses one or more strings were bad, they sounded like the bass had a broken truss rod. On the six string the high G and C strings were much brighter sounding then the other strings. Very inconsistent and bad quality. Stay away from red labels.

jester likes this.
  8. Dazed

Dazed Good Vibe Sponsor

I have some red labels fitted now on the Proii I’m getting to know. They came on it, god knows how old they are but easily a couple of years. They are quite stiff and heavier than what I usually use.
    I’m using them to recondition my fingers to playing as it’s been a while since I have. They sound ok, not dead but not great. Just ok which is fine. I wouldn’t replace them with more Reds though.

I get your point Gnermo, if the same materials are used on these different sets, what makes one better than the other?

9. jester

jester ocdemon

Yanni
    The difference is that if Elixirs are super smooth, the EMP's are diametrically opposite, very harsh and grippy.

I second what Marco says. The coating makes these strings die very fast and in a very ugly way. I believe their harshness attracts dirt and grime and in fact creates a worse string than regular Black Labels.

Dazed likes this.
  10. Augie

Augie The Desert Bass-ape

See I really like the EMPs. the do die eventually, and don't tail off like other strings I've used, but I have found that is common with SS strings. But I like stiff heavy gauge strings that are rough. My default string has been roto swings for ages (often called roto rat-tails because they supposedly feel like rat tail files :) ) so rough SS strings are my jam. The EMPs last much longer that rotos, and have a better, clearer sound. I have been using EMP 135s as the B on a set of 45-105 rotos and the punch of the EMP is better than the roto, even though its thicker, and it lasts much longer. I can keep the EMP B string on for 2-3 sets of rotos.

11. jester

jester ocdemon

Yanni
    I have to admit the EMPs sound loud and clear and mean. I would describe them as "rude". :)

12. Augie

We agree on that jester! I am kinda of the opinion that its easier to mellow out a sound by attenuating the tops and high mids than to try to get that snarl form a set of smooth sounding nickel strings. So I go for snarly strings and use my amp to mellow them out (if I ever want to). The head I have is possibly a factor in that, the markbass I have has a 4 band parametric EQ, which is great for finding those sweet spots to cut and boost, an has the VLE dial which basically makes it more old-school, mellow sounding.

jester likes this.
  13. Augie

In terms of the difference, there are some construction differences, mainly that the Black label and EMPS are tapered Bs and Es. Reds aren't.

14. DiMarco

There's pricey and cheap alloys guys. In countries like China lots of metals are recycled materials and not 100% pure. So cheaper SS might not always be purely that and more prone to breakage or erosion.

I really liked the black labels when I had them, but DR low riders seem to last longer and they feel smoother. Tone is pretty much alike, with both the low riders and black labels having a really tight low end and snappy highs that aren't harsh sounding.

jester and Stainless like this.
  15. DiMarco

Just thought to myself: if someone has sweaty hands that kill strings within a week anyway, he can easily use the cheapest of strings.

But my strings usually last around 3 to 6 months when I use them a lot. My fingers are as dry as the sahara.

16. jester

jester ocdemon

Yanni
    Your thoughts on DR LoRiders vs HighBeams?

17. DiMarco

Tried the beams too, prefered the riders. I am not sure why. Sorry. :D

jester likes this.
  18. Chemojay

Chemojay

Oh it's been a while. I have always found you don't use the strings that come on your bass and you don't buy strings with the same label as your bass. Bass makers make basses and string makers make strings. For a reason. I would go as far to say there are only a few reasons why instrument makers have branded strings. One may be that the string companies thought at some point they could sell more strings if they could get a company like say "fender" to let them use the Fender name on their product as an authorized replacement part. Now another side of this same coin could be that someone like "Fender" was tired of trying to source strings from different manufactures for production that cause inconsistency in product and quality and possibly supply. So they paired with someone like say "d'addario" to make strings for them under the fender name. This would help Fender fix the quality, supply and probably give them a advantage in pricing for production and resale because of bulk buying and ordering contracts. I have no idea which way this went as I am more into a rez old threads today instead of a google search.
    IDK, I would just figure in this day in age instrument manufacture would have no benefit from trying to produce their own string. And often wonder why they mess with providing a re branded product that often time makes the name look bad. Just say hey we use X string when we ship our basses. That's it. All that ignorant text aside. Are most strings that are branded just re-branded?

Hardy likes this.
  19. Hardy

Hardy Supporting Member Good Vibe Sponsor

Ever saw a production video of Warwick strings? Now I want to know it too!

Chemojay likes this.
  20. Chemojay

Chemojay

Honestly I have not. They may be exactly the opposite of what one may normally think. Or what my preconceived idea is. However I don't think anyone has revolutionized bass strings in a long time. Or ever. IDK I feel like a need a meme of me sitting at the table with the "change my mind" thing. And it be about bass stings.

I am fixing to try some different string brands again as I have decided the ones I have been using just down hold tune for shit. I first thought I had a tuner issue but then I started seeing it across multiple basses.
    I Still think my shitpost is at least thoughtful. I do wonder man of those things.

My hardware is gold. Well it's tarnished and faded on alot of them now. So its partial silver.