Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Warwick Strings In The U.s.

Discussion in 'Bass Strings' started by thrash00, Nov 29, 2018.

1. thrash00

thrash00

Hello everyone, I just recently bought a Warwick 6 string Corvette bass and the issue that I'm running into is that, for some reason I can't seem to find anyone that carries Warwick black label strings in the U.S. The reason why I'm looking for those is because those are the ones that came on my bass, gauges .025, .045, .065. 085, .105, .135T.

The place that I can order them are from the Warwick store but its expense for shipping to the U.S. I've been able to find sets online as custom but the lightest I have found is a .030 for the C and at .130T for the 6th. I did get lucky and found some Dunlop .135T and bought them all, which were 5 singles.

My question is that Dunlop has a set that are .030-130T but since I got the .135T I can swap out the .130. D'Addario I can order a custom set as .030-.135T. DR lo-riders has .025-130T. If I get a set of .030 - .130T do I need to adjust the truss rod or change the action since Im bumping up the C from a .025 to a .030 and lowering the B from a .135T to a .130T if I decide to go that route?

2. jester

jester ocdemon

Yanni
    Hello, and welcome to the forum!

I wouldn't obsess too much about finding the exact same strings because of their gauge, only if I really liked their sound very much. If you think about it it's too restrictive since there's many kinds of fine strings you may want to try in the lifetime of your bass.

Concerning gauge, keep in mind that string sets that have the same nominal gauge may have different pull requiring truss rod adjustments. This is due to string material and construction (e.g. core size, core shape). A good example is same gauge DR High Beams vs DR Lo Riders which pull very differently even though they are from the same brand!

About the specific scenario you mention, going up in gauge for one string and lowering another, that should keep string tension from changing wildly (e.g. if you increased both gauges or decreased both gauges). Since it is a six string, 4 strings remain the same so any difference will be due to different string brand/specific product as mentioned. And a six string has a lot of wood on its neck so it's a bit hard to drastically change the neck's shape. I'd say go with whatever string you want to try and learn how to make small adjustments to your truss rod as that's all you will need to do!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    thrash00 likes this.
  3. thrash00

thrash00

Thanks for the welcome! Honestly, I didn't really think of it like that. I was more concerned about keeping the strings the same as it came from the factory, but it makes sense that the gauges can be the same but tension can vary. I've been watching the Warwick tutorials on adjusting the truss rod, action and intonation so I'm definitely venturing into trying the different types of strings and gauges. Thanks again for the information, its very much appreciated.

4. jester

jester ocdemon

Yanni
    Guys and gals, especially from the US, does anybody know the distributor for Warwick strings (or products in general) in the US? It should offer more options for strings for our new member. Any contact info, much appreciated.

5. RIP

RIP California U.S.A. Good Vibe Sponsor

Get ahold of The Bass Place in Arizona

https://www.thebassplace.com

They are a licensed Warwick dealer here in the states....its where I buy all my Warwick gear, including my Master built neck I got for my Fortress

Talk to Dennis

Here's his email address.....he'll hook you up

[email protected]

thrash00 and jester like this.
  6. thrash00

thrash00

I want to thank you guys for the advice and the help! I emailed Dennis and he has sets coming in next week. Super stoked to be part of the community! Thanks again!

PaulS, RIP and jester like this.