Warwick Streamer 5 - Extremely High Action!

steembass

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Real Name
yes
Firstly thanks to everyone who has got on my thread and i'm hoping there might be something ive overlooked. Secondly! By changing the strings I did intend to make sure people would not read into this and go off point. I had put a few sets on this bass before things went strange and mentioned how it happened around a string change to see if this may of been a trigger, in the release of tension maybe. If i had the money i'd change strings fortnightly (still awaiting that sponsor??) and certainly after every sweaty gig, though i got into a an OCD string thing, cleaning hands before every use and wipe the fret board down. Just normal rehearsal and practice will keep a set good for a month maybe two.
On to the main event, there's no doubt a twist exists from the 3rd fret to the nut most evident where the E and A string sit.
I'm going to take some new photo's not after i've just clamped it. Take it from the opposite perspective than my others which were from the body up to the nut which i removed to create a more obvious case. The repairer wasn't trying to work me for more repairs etc he said it was beyond his repotoire along with fitting a pick up selector, i need a solderer and do it myself. I'll take in whats been said and get some pics from the head down and vice versa but i dont think i'll get anything a visual as the classic guitar that looks like the necks been set at an angle.
I have a small set up kit with radius gauge's, string height ruler, straight edge steel ruler, and allen keys. Im just short of a decent 34inch scale straight edged notched level which will be invaluable to try fret leveling and the straightness of a neck. theres so much crap from the east that ill wait until i can find a UK retailer with decent stock. Thanks will upload new photo's and would appreciate your point of view.
Mark
Hi Mark, sorry for completely misunderstanding the "string topic". Very sorry for being "too offensive" in your perspective.
One last comment on changing strings: I would not mind taking off all strings completely (for changing / cleaning fretboard). Imho no effect on "warping" the bass neck..
Back to your main topic: I would still recommend to contact Warwick as a first step before trying to repair anything by yourself.
Decent tools: Stew Mac or Rockinger Guitars are good sources for tools - if you plan to do the "fret job" by yourself.

Reaction score
Real Name
Mark Keane
Hi Mark, sorry for completely misunderstanding the "string topic". Very sorry for being "too offensive" in your perspective.
One last comment on changing strings: I would not mind taking off all strings completely (for changing / cleaning fretboard). Imho no effect on "warping" the bass neck..
Back to your main topic: I would still recommend to contact Warwick as a first step before trying to repair anything by yourself.
Decent tools: Stew Mac or Rockinger Guitars are good sources for tools - if you plan to do the "fret job" by yourself.
No problem, I had a feeling someone would infer I had the strings on years, but some people actually will have the same set on a bass for its life. There's nothing like putting a new set on and like you said all the strings off for a clean up and oil the fretboard. The bass does play ok but its not what it was and not what you come to expect from a Wwick. Im going to get a straight edge and get a proper idea as visually its harder to sight than the side profile to check neck relief. Thanks for your input.

Reaction score
After your reply, I looked down the neck to make sure it is flat and it looks good to me. I'll post a picture when I get back home.

Sighting down the neck from one end to another is not an easy way to judge the amount of relief, but a twisted neck will give itself away immediately this way. The first Warwick vid shows the guy sighting it with the bass in playing position...this is the easiest way to check relief.

If the neck can be fixed with the truss rod adjustment, then do that and I would recommend that you do a complete new setup by yourself, that means zeroing out the bridge plate and nut and setting up the string saddle heights, then reset bridge plate height / nut height to your preference.

I'm not normally big on manufacturers recommended setup advice but Warwick's method of matching fingerboard radius by zeroing string height on the fingerboard is the best way to get a perfect setup with regards to string height.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Real Name
Mark Keane
Did you contact Warwick already? ([email protected]).
If it is really a quality issue (I ve also heard about issues with Ovangcol necks early 2000) there might be sone chance of „goodwill“ regulation of your case😊
Contacted warwick and they said they wanted 750euro and send my neck to be destroyed, earlier option was to saw in two and photo. they know ive three of there top end basses, and despite that and a fault with the wood used for the neck, not an inkling of support or help. I could buy a 2nd hand streamer lx4 with that sort of money. so big fat nothing from warwick.

Reaction score
Real Name
Mark Keane
No problem, I had a feeling someone would infer I had the strings on years, but some people actually will have the same set on a bass for its life. There's nothing like putting a new set on and like you said all the strings off for a clean up and oil the fretboard. The bass does play ok but its not what it was and not what you come to expect from a Wwick. Im going to get a straight edge and get a proper idea as visually its harder to sight than the side profile to check neck relief. Thanks for your input.
Im going to try the complaint address and see if i can get some help being a big vocal promoter of there basses and by the sound i get live and recorded. Did an worldwide Ep distro with a band reformed after 30yr due to euro and U.S. gig offers from social media. Everytime you use a type of instrument you endorse it, but i wasn't feeling any love in a 750euro starters fee. heard an seen great stuff about Wwicks help & support
just hope it hasnt run out with world domination.
mark

Florin

Warwick Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Contacted warwick and they said they wanted 750euro and send my neck to be destroyed, earlier option was to saw in two and photo. they know ive three of there top end basses, and despite that and a fault with the wood used for the neck, not an inkling of support or help. I could buy a 2nd hand streamer lx4 with that sort of money. so big fat nothing from warwick.
Sorry to hear your bass is ill, Mark! I don't think you should be mad on Warwick though, this is a 20y old bass, made of wood. It is not true that ovankol necks are prone to warping (more than others), warwick necks are more stable than many other necks anyway due to construction and well dried quality wood. Also tuhe neck is a big part of the bass, and a Warwick neck is a big part of a premium, expensive bass. I don't think 750 EUR is much for a brand new Warwick neck.
Also Warwick basses changed a lot since 2002, they were really good back then, but now they are on a different level. Try a new one and you will see. A Streamer LX costs now twice than it did in 2002, and it is twice as nice IMHO :) When they replace the neck, they give you a brand new 2021 neck, not an older built one.
If your budget is limited, a skilled luthier can fix it for you for probably half of that price (just guessing)

Anyway, I hope you will get it fixed soon, post some "after" pics :)
Flo

Reaction score
Real Name
Mark Keane
Sorry to hear your bass is ill, Mark! I don't think you should be mad on Warwick though, this is a 20y old bass, made of wood. It is not true that ovankol necks are prone to warping (more than others), warwick necks are more stable than many other necks anyway due to construction and well dried quality wood. Also tuhe neck is a big part of the bass, and a Warwick neck is a big part of a premium, expensive bass. I don't think 750 EUR is much for a brand new Warwick neck.
Also Warwick basses changed a lot since 2002, they were really good back then, but now they are on a different level. Try a new one and you will see. A Streamer LX costs now twice than it did in 2002, and it is twice as nice IMHO :) When they replace the neck, they give you a brand new 2021 neck, not an older built one.
If your budget is limited, a skilled luthier can fix it for you for probably half of that price (just guessing)

Anyway, I hope you will get it fixed soon, post some "after" pics :)
Flo
I hear you Florin, if im honest its probably my lack of ability to afford 750 euro. If i did have enough money about i would leap at getting my bass re-necked and getting the amazing bass back that i lost, and it happened after a string change. I used a different brand but im sure the gauge was the same. When i tuned up there was noticeable buzzing around the 5th fret from the first fret. I am disconsolate about losing an amazing playing bass and trying to do what i can with limited resources. Bought a lottery ticket for saturday, if i win ill go to the Warwick plant myself .
Mark

Florin

Warwick Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That buzzing was on all strings, or only on some of them?

Top Bottom