Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Warwick Forum Group Picture. Send in your pictures!

Discussion in 'Maddrakkett's Caffe' started by BenF, Feb 10, 2008.

1. BassPlyr Randy

BassPlyr Randy Long Winded SOB

The poster at least in my mind is about the warwick forum and us bing warwick users. Playing through a warwick amp and/or cab is still using a warwick. I know in the first draft of the poster JVH was sporting a mockup because he didn't own one yet. I think he got a real one by the final poster, but I can't swear by that. But that being said, personally I don't see anything wrong with a pic of you with your cab. The last poster had only 1 warwick amp in it and I kind of found myseld wishing there were more. I know it really causes layout issues, especially when you get 48 people and their instruments in there, but a few amps and cabs placed throughout I think would really add to the visual.

Florin likes this.
  2. TylerDurdenPSSC

TylerDurdenPSSC

3. Grgzilla

Grgzilla

No matter.
    You're a forum member,& former WW ownerThat's qualifies ya.

Also, Tyler.
    The first poster had a RB or 2.RB's come under the WW banner.

4. Grgzilla

Grgzilla

Gerry was another one who didnt get his,so I sent him one of mine,that he got.
    If Flo cant find ya one,I'll send ya one of mine.

5. JanVanHove

JanVanHove Artist

I actually didn't... On the poster I'm sporting an 8-string thumb BO, something that is still on my GAS list, and unfortunately doesn't exist yet...

There were actually two people with cabs on the last poster... Wolfman with his full stack, and Zamolzed sitting on his cab... With a different layout concept (I'll try to rake by brain for something...) it might be easier to fit everyone, their basses and some amps...

6. Shmone

Shmone

Wow! this has to be the best forum ever! thanks for bumping this Randy.
    If there will be another poster I'm in! :d

7. Doc

Doc

Me too. Anyone run it by the brass yet?

8. BassPlyr Randy

Before Florin actually approaches HPW with the idea on our behalf, I think we should be clear ...

What are we really asking Warwick for?
    1. Permission to use their branding (name and logos) so that we can produce our own poster purely for the forum community?
    2. For Warwick to produce a poster to be used purely for forum community?
    3. For Warwick to give permission to use their branding and help with the cost of producing a poster to be used purely for the forum community?

Looking at it from the company's (HPW's) standpoint, the question is, where's the WIFM (what's in it for me)? Especially in today’s economic climate, the company really needs to consider the benefit vs. cost factor, and as a smart business man, I'm sure that is something HPW will undoubtedly consider. If the answer to the above question is anything other than #1, I believe we should really address the question of the WIFM, what is the benefit for him to do this.

True, this forum is a source of information for his product and as members we act as ambassadors for the Warwick brand. We offer a friendly place for not only current and new Warwick owners a place to come discuss and ask questions about their instruments, but more importantly, the forum is a place perspective customers can come, ask questions and get advice from real players that have real experience with not only Warwicks, but numerous other brands as well so they can get a fair comparison. No one trusts a salesman, and while there is a little bias on the subject, a little brand loyalty, we get nothing whether they buy a Warwick or any other brand, and people know that and I think that adds a lot of credibility to our opinions for a perspective buyer.

I believe that HPW is very aware of that fact and is part of why he treats this forum and its members so good. But is that reason alone enough benefit to justify the cost of this project? Think about it, he already has us and this forum, and while he has demonstrated numerous times his appreciation to us, he gains nothing new by this; thus, little to no benefit.

Let's look at the costs for a moment. Sorry, but no I didn't go out and talk to any printers and get any numbers to share, but I do know where the bulk of the cost will be. Setup and layout; making the actual plates for the printing. Once that is done, the cost difference for running a couple hundred posters vs. several thousand really is not that significant. So I believe the way to present this to HPW is to repeat their original ad campaign and do it on a full scale.

Since the last poster there have been a lot of new products and new endorsers. Having one poster that shows pretty much the entire product line with some of the top players today (Warwick endorsers) is a strong visual. Likewise, a poster depicting normal everyday people (us) with their Warwicks is also a strong visual. The two together really show that Warwick is a brand for both the top professional to the average player and everyone in between. Also, the forum poster can highlight the forum as the great resource it is, as I already described.

There my friends is the WIFM and the way I believe we should pitch it to HPW. But to simply reuse the same poster design is a bit boring. I think we should pitch it as a full ad pitch with idea for the look of the posters and everything, that way all Warwick has to do, if they like what we come up with, is plug in pics of their endorsers, which I am sure they have without having to reshoot them specifically for this poster. By using photos they already have for the endorsers would save on cost for the company.

One idea I have is make two separate poster like last time, but this time, do it in such a way that the two separate posters can be combined to look like one bigger poster; makes them more versatile that way. Plus as I already talked about it takes the tow seperate concepts, the Pro users vs. the Average users, and really brings out the bigger concept, it's a brand for everyone.

Anyway, that is what I think. It's one thing to just ask him to produce the poster for us, but I believe that showing him the WIFM and pitching it as another ad campaign for the company is a stronger presentation and the more work we do to that end will really show our love and dedication for the brand and are willing to do what we can to help the brand as opposed to just looking like a bunch of people that want something for nothing.

So what do you all think?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2010
  9. BassPlyr Randy

I just had another idea I thought I would throw out there.

Instead of two posters, perhaps one bigger poster that has both the Endorsers, forum members, and possible Warwick employees all on the same poster. We could use 2 different size pics. The endorsers being a little bigger so the stand out a bit more. Also us 2 different color and size fonts, so that again, the Endorsers stand out. Im thinking that this would really help make the point that Warwicks are for everyone and this also would be the thing that makes the ad different then it was last time. Also, only one poster so less in layout and setup costs.

Just a thought. Besides who wouldn't want their picture on the same poster with players like Jlo, Zender, Stevens, Hellborg, ect. and of coarse HPW himself?

10. Doc

Doc

You nailed it right there, Randy. The goal of any advertising is to get people to recognize your name, remember your brand, and ultimately sell your product through testimonial and exposure. Any successful business person will tell you that the biggest influence to use or purchase a product is the endorsement of those who use the product... Word Of Mouth Marketing. Breaking it down further, there has to be a Feature, Advantage, and Benefit to the user for anything that is being marketed - - can any of us come up with a few of those for our basses? :)

We had a discussion thread not too long ago that delved into the 'Warwick Mentality' perceived by some players who don't play one. THOSE people are the target - they are the ones who will connect with this type of thing. They are also the ones the company needs to shoot for. All of the endorsement players are good to let people know that, indeed, big names play Warwick. BUT, everyday players (garage band guys like me) need to feel justified in having (buying) such an instrument, and let's face it, the TB forum people are all too in love with their four-tuners-on-top cookie cutter axes to recommend a 'Wick.

The invitation is the poster/ad, the door is the URL in your browser, the sales floor is this forum, and we are the consultants. I don't think there is a single person here who wouldn't recommend a Warwick over any other brand, save for the boutique customs that almost none of us will ever be able (or need) to buy. There's your sales staff - happy unpaid users that found the right bass.

Yep, HPW is a business man. A good one. And I'm sure he knows the value in our being here, playing his guitars, and proudly telling anyone who will listen that we have the be-all end-all bass guitar.

11. boebl

boebl

just my little imo:

when this idea came up for the first time, it was just for fun and everybody was happy to be part of it. HP liked the idea and gave this poster to us as a present - I've never seen it used as ad, actually.

I like this project and idea behind, but I wouldn't count on Warwick having as much interest this time - it would be nice, but it was nicer when it was just some little idea that grew big, than if it's something made up to be big.
    Not offending anything or the idea - like said before, I liked this poster a lot and would love to see a new version - but why don't we leave it on the fun side and if WW got any interest in supporting us, they will and they'll do it by themself.

12. Callum

Callum

Randy i think your ideas and approach is a good one, personally though if its a warwick forum poster i personally would like the focus on the forum, and how great this community is for all players whatever they play, whatever their ability and show that there are big names here as well as down to earth friendly everyday people who are just happy to be talking about basses they love to play.

If you wanted the spin for advertising, i'd go with the warwick family, as there are very few companies that invest a lot into the community that surrounds them and has such a personal relationship with its customers.

Either approach though is cool by me, i just want to be on a poster of the forum :)

13. JanVanHove

JanVanHove Artist

The first poster was indeed done just for fun, and HPW printed it and shipped it out to everyone as a "thank you" for the forum denizens and the wonderful community that we have here.

Now, Randy, I understand your reasoning, and I understand why it would be a better ad if all the big names were on the poster, I also think that a group of forum members with their basses is equally valid for the purpose of advertisement, if only as a promotion of the Warwick Forum, something that is very important to Hans Peter (as far as I understand it...).

Making a group picture just for the heck of it, something that everyone can have in electronic form, is a worthy project in itself I believe. If HPW decides to repeat his generous action from the first time, than even better, and if he wants to use the poster for promotional reasons, than it's even better!

So what do we need to ask permission for? Making a group picture with all the active (and the less active...) members of the forum, with a catchy slogan and even the warwick logo is something that we, as a community, do not really need to ask permission from the head of Warwick to do. Everything beyond that however, is completely at the discretion of Warwick management...

One thing that I've always felt with the group picture is that it could be a cool promotional tool for the Forum at trade shows such at the NAMM or the Musik Messe. If we do the poster over the next few months, it could be ready in time for next winter's big tradeshows... ;)

Just my 2 cents...

14. Callum

Callum

I like this gun hoe attitude jan, so i guess the question is now what pictures are needed and were do we send them? :d

15. BassPlyr Randy

No, the very first poster was not done just for fun it was a real ad put together by Warwick featuring its Endorsers. Then BenF posted it here saying wouldn't it be fun for the forum to do its own version of the poster; an idea HPW liked and decieded to produce for the forum. From my understanding that poster was in fact also sent out to music stores as part of Warwicks promotional information.

That was the point of my initial question, what are we really asking Warwick for? Yes, we can do a group picture of forum members purely in electronic version with no expense, but to say we don't need Warwicks permission to use their copyrighted logos in this poster is dead wrong. I don't see any reason they would deny us permission to use their branding for our group picture, especially if its just going to be done in an e-format, but we do need to ask.

However, if we are going to ask HPW if he would consider producing the poster as he did last time, then I think we need show him how it would benefit the company and that is where the idea of re-doing the initial ad came from.

But again, the initial question was, What exactly are we asking Warwick for?

16. JanVanHove

JanVanHove Artist

Randy, I guess that we simply had a misunderstanding about what "first poster" was reffering to... But yeah, you are absolutely right, the original idea came from that Magazine ad by Warwick.

Asking permission for the use of the logo is of course the right thing to do, at least the polite thing to do, but using the warwick logo on a group picture of the warwick forum user would to my understanding fall under fair use and would not be as such a copyright violation. If the forum poster version 2 comes to life, yeah, we'll ask for the logo...

But at this stage, what exactly are we asking for? My understanding of it is that we are asking HPW if he is willing to repeat his generous move of the last time.

As far as presenting the arguments for the production of a forum poster, i think that Hans-Peter is well aware of both what it represents and what it entails, and what he is willing to do for it and with it. I've had a few quick exchanges with him in the last years, the last few ones were about re-doing a forum poster, and the timing was not right for Warwick to do it then, but he showed interest in repeating the process at some point.

I think that in light of this, the only thing that we need to ask Hans-Peter is if he is interested in helping the production of a second forum poster...

What do you think, Randy?

17. Doog

Doog

I'd like to get in on this one, I'll wait til near the end though, last time there was neither a Buzzard or a Dolphin, so I'll wait and see what needs to be represented. Great idea though.

18. BassPlyr Randy

You want to know what I think? Ok, I think I'm done.

I thought I made my opinion on this crystal clear as I am the one that recurected this thread and suggested to Florin that maybe he could ask HPW if he would be willing to do it again.

Also I thought I was pretty clear that I thought we, as a community, should deciede exactly what we wanted to do and wanted to ask of HPW.

I thought that I was pretty clear that my opinion was, that if we wanted to do anything other than just produce it ourselves, such as ask HPW if he would produce the poster as he did last time, then we should sell the idea to him as a pitch for redoing the entire ad campaign.

Yes, I understand that HPW is a smart businessman and knows what the benefits are to him, i did say that in my post about it, but just because he knows a thing doesn't mean he's thinking along those lines when he gets asked to produce a forum poster again. No, we don't have to go into in the kind of depth that I did in my post. I did that purely for our members that may not understand or realize those things But I do think it would be a lot stronger request if it was presented more as a pitch for a possible promotional campaign and get the man thinking about it as such instead of purely spending money for a poster for the forum community. Mentioning your idea that it could be used as promtional material for the winter's big trade shows is exactly the kind of thing I am refering to. And yes, HPW is very capable of coming up with that idea without you pointing it out, but my point is... if we walk up and say hey HPW will you produce a 2nd forum community poster? Doesn't mean that he will be thinking of any of the possible benefits, he may, but in this economic climate, there is a good chance the first and main thing that will cross his mind is the cost. All I am saying, if we are going to ask him to spend money, then it would be a much stronger request if we included some of the WIFM, to get his mind thinking along those lines.

So let me make myself crystal clear now. I brought this topic up, and I given my opinion. Initially I wanted to be part of trying to put it all together and get it going, but now I am out of it completely. If it happens, I may or may not submit a picture, but as of now, I will not speak of this again. It's all yours.....

19. TylerDurdenPSSC

TylerDurdenPSSC

You know what I think!?!?!?

Jennifer Arroyo is still that hot. That's what I think. ;)

20. JanVanHove

JanVanHove Artist

I'm sorry for barging in on this topic like an elephant in a china shop, you indeed brought this up again, so it is your project. I'm going back to the shadows and will not be heard again, sorry guys for the trouble...