Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Warwick Corvette - Passive or Active

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by Linus27, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Linus27

Linus27

Hi All,

I have decided to buy a Warwick Corvette Standard in Ash. However, I'm not sure what advantage there will be tonally between having a passive pickup model with passive electronics or the passive pickups with the selectable active/passive electronics. My other basses are a Fender MIA 75 jazz and a Musicman Stingray. Both very different tonally but both great. I don't want to get the passive Corvette if its going to be dull, flat and lifeless but then I don't want to get the Active/Passive model if its going to be bright and tiny or the active option not really being a benifit.

Is it worth paying extra and going for the selectable active/passive model or is it not much advantage?

Any advice really appreciated.

2. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

Hi Linus,

The extra EQ will add you more possibilities of shaping your sound, especially live. Most of us are using the 2 band EQ bypassed anyway. But it is handy for a bass solo, etc.

Instead, I think it worth buying the active/ active version.

3. Linus27

Linus27

Thanks Florin. Not sure I can afford an active/active option and to be honest, I do prefer passive basses. However, having the option of active/passive selection seems appealing.

4. Archer_337

Archer_337

Really?

I never turn mine off.

5. blikeng

blikeng

I have to say that with the passive/passive corvette ash I had, I had some trouble getting through the mix at bigger stages. Got kind of weak.

6. Pedro

Pedro

I've just put an active 3 band EQ in to my passive bass and it does make a hell of a difference! (don't worry, review is coming soon as i get the pics!)

If you like the sound of a passive bass then get the active/passive option, that way you'll have the best of both worlds. Just beware that if you do choose this option, you'll have no tone control when using active, as bypassing the preamp (i.e playing passive) also bypasses all of the tone controls on your bass.

7. Linus27

Linus27

What?? Did I read this right? If you get the passive/active model and select active, you then lose the tone control on the bass, so you can't role on or off more bass or treble??

That seems a really strange configuration.

8. Pedro

Pedro

Sorry I explained that completely wrong :confused: Here's what I meant to say:

Wen you're playing active you have full use of all the controls (treble, bass, pickup pan & volume) but when you switch to passive you are bypassing the preamp and therefore the two tone controls (bass and treble) meaning you can only modify the volume and pickup pan.

Hope that makes more sense

9. Linus27

Linus27

Ah ok, thats not so bad. So in some ways, its like having an active bass but also an additional mode which is a limited passive mode with no tone adjustment. Thats not so bad for me as I have a Genz Benz shuttle with 3 presents, bass, mid and treble scoop so if something is lacking, I can always boost. Thanks for explaining though.

However, it still takes me back to the original question of is it worth going for passive or the active/passive model :d:d

10. golem

golem Philosopher King

Not sure what choices are allowed, whether
    the active PUs are now available only with
    an active EQ as well. But if it's 'a la carte',
    I'd spend for the active PU's and skip the
    2-band EQ.

The passive PU's are noisy compared to the
    actives, and even when you balance the pan
    so they're not noisy, the passives just don't
    sound like the actives.

11. Pedro

Pedro

Probably not, lol. I thought i was gonna keep using my bass as passive when i got my preamp fitted but it seems a bit pointless too, cause the active sound is so much better. The only other advantage of having the passive pickups is if your battery dies on you and you can't get hold of another one you can still play your bass in passive mode. If you have active pickups and the battery dies, your screwed :d

I guess it all comes down to personal preference.

12. Grgzilla

Grgzilla

Only you can answer that mate.
    In an earlier post,you said you cant afford the active model,so maybe that answers your question.
    My opinion is yes,it's well worth getting a fully active model,but I've had alot of experience with fully active basses & really like active MEC single coil pickups & their 3 band preamp.You might feel different,& prefer a fully passive bass,or passive pickups with an active preamp.
    The safest way to go is to try both,& if that's not possible then no amount of online advice is going to help.
    In all confidence I can assure you a passive Corvette std is going to be anything but dull,flat & lifeless.By the same token,the active version will be anything but too bright & tiny,imho.
    Sound is so subjective to the individual,& that's a great thing.
    Good luck mate.

13. james brunnning

james brunnning

I like the way the mec passive pups sound on the ash vet.I don't like them as much on the bubinga bodied vet.For that I like the active pups.It might be best to get the active bass as you can bypass the preamp.I would say to play both versions of the bass if you can.

14. Linus27

Linus27

Well, I am very pleased to announce that on Monday, I ordered a brand new passive Warwick Corvette Standard in Ash. I chose passive/passive over the active/passive model as I have always prefered the tone of passive basses.

I have been told that it is built to order in Germany and takes about two weeks. However, the shop here in the UK said it is more like 4 weeks. Either way, I hope I get it before Xmas and Warwick pick me out a nice piece of wood. :d

Either way, I am really excited and so can't wait to get it. Don't think I have been so excited about getting a bass before.

15. golem

golem Philosopher King

I hope so, too. Everyone deserves
    a great piece of ash now and then !

16. james brunnning

james brunnning

Is the bass going to have a color or is natrual.?

17. Linus27

Linus27

Its going to be natural, hopefully, just like the pictures on the Warwick Corvette standard Ash web page.

18. Eberbachl

Eberbachl

I've had all passive 'Vettes, and Active Active too (I haven't had Active/Passive though).

I have to admit that prior to my Active 'Vette I was a confirmed passive bass snob. I had had a few Active basses, but none of them did it for me.

...that was until my Two Active Vette's! They converted me.

If the All passive version is all you can afford - go for it, you will get a very nice bass. Rather than Passive/Active, if you want to step up, I'd go all the way to the Active/Active model.

It's gorgeous!

It converted me good and proper!

:d

19. Linus27

Linus27

I did try the Corvette $$ which has the two humbucker pickups and it was truely amazing. The sound blew me away and it was one of the best sounding basses I have ever heard. Primarily I am a Fender fan and love the feel of Fender/Musicman basses. However, I have always loved the Ash coloured Corvettes and Streamers and longed to own one someday. The Warwick is a very different type of bass to a Fender and it will take some getting used to. If though, I fall in love with it then I can see me eventually going full active and getting the Corvette $$.

20. golem

golem Philosopher King

Now don't get confused:

A Vett $$ is not "full active".
    It's passive/active ... passive
    PU's with a 2-band active EQ.

A $$ has an incredible "voice
    adjustment" ability in passive
    mode WITHOUT any EQ or any
    passive tone pot. The PU fader
    and the pair of 3-way switches
    offer quite a variety of voices.