Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Warwick & Ampeg SVT CL

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by Hardy, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Hardy

Hardy Supporting Member Good Vibe Sponsor

Does anybody else use an Ampeg SVT CL together with a Warwick bass? What are your experiences? And if you do, do you also play basses of other brandmarks on the SVT? What are your favourite settings of bass and amp?

As often as I try to establish a Warwick in the band, as often I fall back to the Fender Precision. At home, using my Trace Elliot or one of my Marshall-amps everything works and sounds great. In my opinion and my ears the Ampeg SVT CL just doesn´t fit that good to Warwick. But maybe it´s just a question of the adjustment? Any suggestions?

Warwick Infinity NT4 Ltd (8).jpg

2. golem

golem Philosopher King

`

Lookin at your rig, if you need that much output for
    the bass part, then the problem isn't with the bass,
    it's with the band. So, it really shouldn't matter one
    whole steaming heap WHICH bass you play.

3. DiMarco

DiMarco nutcase Good Vibe Sponsor

That amp ampeggifies any bass you throw at it. Heavy coloration going on, especially in the mids range. I never really liked them much for that reason and am more of an SWR and Trace Elliot kinda guy. Big fat but tight lows and lots of attack.

4. Gurnemanz

Gurnemanz

Are you talking about any Warwick, or your Infinitys?
    Can't speak about the SVT's, but my Infinity has the lowest output of all my Warwicks. So the amp's sound, or the amp's issues, would be more prominent with the Infinity.

5. Hardy

"Ampeggify" is the right word. The bass looses the most of it's special sound. Details are reduced to midrange bang. You can hear every note, the amp doesn't wash them away, but kills especially the character of the hights. No matter if I use any Infinity, Thumb or Streamer. The very difference to the Fender is, that the Streamers offer a more "boomy" sound.

Interesting thing: on the recordings the Wicks sound much better than in the live situation.

In some weeks we have our next gig, I hope I get some solution untill then, really want to play a Wick at the next gigs.

6. Gurnemanz

Gurnemanz

Fwiw, I use my Thumb through a Basswitch preamp into a SWR amplite for gigs. Sounds great.

7. thefitz

thefitz

While Ampeg Ampegs the hell out of your tone (especially if you use a ridiculous sealed, tweeterless 810), but surely there's something workable in there.

The P-bass is a simple bass - no onboard electronics. The SVT is a simple amp. Have you tried just bypassing the electronics? If there's a Duncan Preamp on there, is the flat tone really that unusable?

8. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

I used to love Warwick's tight and modern sound with old school tubey distorted amp. Still like it :)

9. Hardy

O.K., I had a nice band rehearsal yesterday. Seems that at least the Infinity NT5 works together with the CL.

Very very important: I only got good results with a split bridge-pickup, but active controll.

Playing the Warwicks passive (as long as they have a passive mode) doesn't help. Maybe the amp needs a "slim" and pregnant tone signal.

Thus far my main basses are the Preci road worn and an Esp Ltd. TA-200, that one tuned to BEAD. The Ltd. is all passive and has a very weak and low output. Doesn´t matter. The Ampeg empowers this bass to a mighty heavy bass! Tbh this bass has the tightest B of all my basses. Only the SS1 can easily stick with it. And of course has the much better tone. The Ltd. I play blended completely to the neck-pickup.

In the end I found a Wick for the Ampeg. If only it were a broadneck... ;-)

image.jpg