Vintage Buzzard Serial Number

Reaction score
OK, perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself here, but I will soon be in possession of a vintage Buzzard 4-string. It has the original one-piece bridge. It will be here in a few days. It is painted (red); where will i find the serial number?

BTW, it was apparently signed by Entwhistle at one time, but the signature has all but rubbed off. I do have a photo of the bass with the signature, though. I was less interested in the signature, and more interested in the bass.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reaction score
That's awesome.The one piece bridge Buzzards are rare.The last one I saw was valued at $10,000US.
If the number's not on the headstock,look inside the cavity.

Florin

Warwick Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Man,
The sn should be on the top of the headstock for a Warwick from that year.

Pics please :)

Curtis

Editor De Bassist magazine (NL)
Reaction score
Wow, you already have an impressive collection of Warwicks, but this vintage Buzzard is tha bomb! Pics!

Reaction score
... It is painted (red); where will i find the serial number?...

On many painted vintage Warwicks there's no serial number.

Greatings, it will be a gem in an already beautiful collection!

Reaction score
I shall post when it's in my physical possession ... on its way here now. On several of my painted (white) Warwicks, I could find the SN by tilting the headstock back and forth to get the right shadowing ... we'll see.

Reaction score
Well, it's here -- I'm emailing Florin the SN to get some more info, but I know it was built in 1986. It's finish is red sparkle. Here's a photo or three. It sounds monsterous ...

Attachments

• !BTTmLnw!mk~$(KGrHgoH-CsEjlLltsWbBKHuBGfFeQ~~_1.jpg
    !BTTmLnw!mk~$(KGrHgoH-CsEjlLltsWbBKHuBGfFeQ~~_1.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 245
  • !BTYLM8gBGk~$(KGrHgoH-CUEjlLlvzuyBKIGnCwkHg~~_1.jpg
    !BTYLM8gBGk~$(KGrHgoH-CUEjlLlvzuyBKIGnCwkHg~~_1.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 259
  • !BTTmD,g!2k~$(KGrHgoH-CYEjlLl8jjFBKHu!y,r8w~~_1.jpg
    !BTTmD,g!2k~$(KGrHgoH-CYEjlLl8jjFBKHu!y,r8w~~_1.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 238

Florin

Staff member
Reaction score
AAAAAAAh!
Oh!
It has that old big headstock.

You look like a nice, friendly guy... can I have it?

Reaction score
Warwick Buzzard Serial Number

I forgot to mention that it came with Optima Gold Strings on it, and three extra sets. I'm fully Ox-ed for a while, I think!

Attachments

• !BTYLKqQBmk~$(KGrHgoH-DQEjlLl),B+BKIGmyni3w~~_1.jpg
    !BTYLKqQBmk~$(KGrHgoH-DQEjlLl),B+BKIGmyni3w~~_1.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 198

Curtis

Reaction score
Wow! I just love the oversized headstock (mine has the 'normal' one), the oversized TRC and the red sparkle! Much nicer than solid red!

Reaction score
I forgot to mention earlier -- apparently the previous owner bought this bass at the Bass Centre, LA, around 1990. The story goes that John Entwistle borrowed this bass from Bass Centre for a gig, and the prior owner saw him play him play it that night. He (the previous owner) went down to Bass Centre the next day, bought it, and had Mr. Entwistle sign it at some later date. There's no documentation of any of this, Bass Centre LA is long gone, and all that remains of the signature is a little black smudge on the back. Still, it's a neat story. I peaked in the control cavity, hoping to find a secret note, like "Great bass - JE", but no luck.

Now that I've set it up, it's killer-diller.

Florin

Staff member
Reaction score
That's a nice story man! Have you received my PM?

Reaction score
Yep, got it. It sounds like the "I" serial number is correct.

I really enjoy playing this bass; the mirror P pickups set-up is great.

AC

Curtis

Reaction score
What a story and what a bass!! You must be able to find pics of that concert somewhere.

Hidden notes. That would be cool. Reminds me of a famous guitar player I know:

This guy was on tour in Berlin years and years ago and he fell in love with a Gibson Firebird II in a local shop. He asked the tourmanager an advance of his payments and he went into the shop. The guys there told him that Dave Mason of Traffic and Eric Clapton both bought a Firebird at the same shop in England at the same day and this guitar was apparently one of those two, but they didn't know which one. This guitar player just wanted the guitar and he bought it, no matter who owned it.

A year later he was on tour in Berlin again and he visited the shop. The guys there recognozed him as the buyer of the Firebird. In the meanwhile they did some research and they were almost sure the sold Firebird was Dave Mason's. They looked at some old pictures and tried to compare the grain of the wood to pics of the sold one. The guitar player went home happily, knowing he had a guitar owned by the legendary Dave Mason.

Some years later he cleaned the guitar and he removed the pick guard. Underneath it, someone scratched his initials in the wood:

EC

Reaction score
Yep, got it. It sounds like the "I" serial number is correct.

I really enjoy playing this bass; the mirror P pickups set-up is great.

AC

Your bass has I in it's serial number??

Florin

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, it has :) At that time we used "I" too... from time to time.

Top Bottom