Upgrade and refinishing project

Reaction score
This is my first project; it's the first time I've every done anything like this so I need a little insight as to what to expect. I decided to make my Ibanez BTB (which is/was a beater) into a nicely refinished bass that I can love. I mean it's alright for what it is and everything but I want to make it better than just the average BTB. I've decided to completely gut it and start over; however the worst thing I've found out is that the Bartolini pickups custom designed specifically for the BTB are not available in Bartolini's standard lineup of pickups so that means I will have to let someone route the pickup area to fit the new Bart's I want to add. But aside from that situation I really need some input from someone that has used high gloss Tung Oil. I really want to get about 3 shades darker than the current stripped wood finish shown below. I know that adding oil will make the wood appear to have a more dense look and texture but I'm not sure if Tung oil, being that it is clear, will give me that honey oil look without applying a colored stain.

I have some touch up sanding to do before the oil process but the representation below is the look of the bare wood. It's mahogany so it will have a very nice grain pattern when it's done. Any insight would be helpful.

View attachment 14641

Reaction score
OK, I found the answer I was looking for, I should be good to go.

Top Bottom