type of rod in our Wicks

Reaction score
Are you ready to see a man grovel?

Florin, YOU WERE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!

It was the short end of the string buzzing between the nut and the fretted note. It's still annoying, but it's not a wonky truss rod. I apologise for doubting your eternal wisdom...

Now, how do I stop that? Put the nut up a hair? (It's an Mk1 nut, so I can do it on just the one string)

Cheers all!
Chipps the Unbeliever...

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Hihi, glad you found the problem :)

Usualy a good (correct) setup will fix the problem.
Anyway, welcome to the bass world, where 2,5mm @ 12th fret is considered a low action ;-)

Check the sticky threads this section, the ones started by Seth. You have there the best tutorials to set your bass.
Your neck should be slighty bowed, not straight, you know... to follow the string's vibration :)

Cheers, Flo

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, Flo...

I'll check it out.

I shall personally toughen myself up to deal with this new world of thick strings and huge actions :)

Good to hear it's not the truss rod anyway (there is a slight bow in my neck still, so don't worry...)

Perhaps I need to get into fretless, just for the low action and lack of fret buzz?

Reaction score
The Two-Way Truss Rod

Folks,

By observation, I figured out that my '98 Thumb NT (C-045823-98; no volute) is outfitted with the two-way (push-pull) truss rod. While attempting to flatten the neck, I discovered that the counter-clockwise direction of rotation (viewed from the headstock) is the 'pull' direction. Applying tortion in this direction increased the neck relief, or in other words, increased the curvature (bow). Increased rotation in this direction gave increased tightness (resistance) to the truss rod tool.

While turning the truss rod in the clockwise direction, the truss rod tension gradually relaxed, and gave the appearance that the rod was becoming loose. At the neutral position (no tortion applied), the truss rod tool encountered no resistance and felt like it was about to unscrew. In this position, the neck was subject to only the string tension, with no help from the truss rod. This produced a noticeable (but not exaggerated) amount of curvature.

While increasing rotation in the clockwise direction, the truss rod engaged in the 'push' direction. As tortion increased, the trussrod tightened and gave more resistance. The neck then began to flatten.

Although this might seem obvious to some, the point of this is first to give a data point relevant to the transition to the two-way truss rod. Second, for those of us that own basses of this vintage (and beyond), one might think that when the truss rod goes slack (neutral position), that it might fall out. There is indeed a range of adjustment in both clockwise and counter-clockwise directions.

FWIW,

O

Reaction score
Real Name
David
dolphin 91

hello all, i have a dolphin of 91, i need to know what type of Rod it has, because it´s broken, i need to replace it, and i don´t know which to do it.
my luthier say me, the last is pick up the fretboard, but i don´t want to reach at this point. i want to know if there is some way to extract the truss rod without pick up the fretboard.

tankyou very much and sorry with my english.

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Hey man,

It has to be an old one way replaceable tr.
You open the truss rod cover, you untighten it completely, with no strings.
Turn the bass upside down, and gently hit is on the floor (on a carpet better), and also gently punch the neck from behind.
The trussrod should just fall off.
Good luck, tell us how it goes.

Reaction score
Real Name
David
Hey man,

Turn the bass upside down, and gently hit is on the floor (on a carpet better), and also gently punch the neck from behind.

Thanks master!!!, i will tell you soon.

greetings

Reaction score
Hey I have the sane issue with my 95 Fortress one, but now it just spins both way easy, I think its broke, I hope it can be replaced.

Reaction score
Real Name
David
Hey man,

Hey Flo, the trussrod fall off:!::lol:, thank you man.
i´ll buy another one in the webshop of warwick.

greetings from Spain

Reaction score
im still trying to figure out which rod is in my 97 thumb NT i have found that clockwise turning the trussrod gives relief to the neck so would that make counter clockwise the tightening direction?

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Does the neck have a volute (heel) on the back where it meets the headstock?

Reaction score
i doesnt have any noticeable heel its a smooth transition from neck to headstock with the usual curve, its a 97 also.

Florin

OG
Reaction score
If it is without the heel, it means it is still the old one way thussrod, and it is possible to work the oposite direction.
It is also possible to be missplaced... If you turn it the other way it will make the neck straight?
If you are not sure, try to remove the trusrod. Untighten it until it is loose, then turn the bass upside down, and kick gently the bass on the floor ( ok, on a rug) You can punch gently the neck too. The tr should fall down.
Then look how it works, and how it works when you tighten it. Put it back, and be sure you put it in a way that when you tighten it, it will bend backwards.
I hope it helps, let me know how it works buddy.

Flo

Reaction score
well right now im getting alot of resistance either way i turn the rod not getting anything either way, think there is some build up or something causing it to be tight in the hole and i will try to grease it up to see if it helps.

Reaction score
i was able to get the thing out, its weird knocking that thing out, didnt expect it to be greasy. now i was able to grip it and move it so it splits the two pieces of the rod apart, also i noticed that it had some grease on it when i took it out should i put a little more on before sticking it back in?

Last edited by a moderator:

Florin

OG
Reaction score
It is OK as it was, use some grease, yes.
So now, you will clearly see which way you tighten it, and replace it in a way that when you tighten the trussrod, it bends backwards.
Could you take some pics for us?

Top Bottom