Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Truss rod, buzz and action...

Discussion in 'Non - Official Warwick Customer Support' started by fin, Dec 10, 2010.

1. fin

fin

Hi, Sorry I have posted already in the wrong section and nobody has answered so I am putting a post here.

Trying to set up my corvette std BO 96, and am encountering some problems.

I still am not sure what truss rod I have, apperently all Bolt ons after after early 96 have the 2 way rod, but from what I can see they have a different neck / headstock ( volute / heel below the nut) My bass has a smooth transition into the neck.

When I tried to turn the truss it was VERY tight - I managed an 1/8th turn clockwise and It seems to have reduced the relief a very small amount. U dont think I could turn it any more without causing damage.. Is it normal for a truss to be so tight. I have the wenge neck which I have heard are very stiff...

I have also tried to adjust the nut / bridge to get the action better - currently have about 4mm at 12th E and get buzz on the E 13th fret - think its the 14th is a bit high.

I am also getting buzz when playing the 6th E sounds like its coming from the headstock / nut area - I have lifted the nut a 1/2 turn (just -a- nut 1) and its not as bad but still there.

Is there a set of measurements anywhere for the optimum setup.

2. fin

fin

Really need some advice on this......

I think I need to give the truss rod another tweak, but I think something may break if I put any more pressure on it.

Is it normal for the rod to be very tight? can a neck be twisted through truss adjustment ( putting excessive torque on the truss nut??)

Can someone identify from photos if I have the old style truss rod?

3. Grgzilla

Grgzilla

4. fin

fin

Cheers Greg, Thats great, will let you know how I get on!!

5. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

Hi Fin,

If you don't have the volute, it means you have te 1 way tr. Be careful, some of them work the other way around, so be sure you are doing it in the right direction. Use a tuner to be sure. If the pitch is goin up then you tightened it, if the pitch is going down, you untightened it.

It is not notmal to be that stiff, so be careful.

6. fin

fin

Thanks for confirming that Florin.

Is that the type that is removable? Is there anything I can do to lubricate things?

Fin.

7. Grgzilla

Grgzilla

Yes Fin. The one way truss rod is removable.
    Try a squirt of WD-40 to lube her up ;)

8. fin

fin

Bad news :(

The truss rod was fully tightened clockwise, as I loosened it I heard a creak, the neck is split in two places below the 1-2 frets in the central strip of wenge. It can be felt when rubbing a finger over the crack - maybe 0.2 of a mm height difference... also sounds different when I tap that bit of the neck with my finger nail.

I managed to remove the rod and it seems to work fine.

Not sure if the crack was already there, I took the bass to a shop to be setup a few months back and he said he had really tightened up the truss - the damage may have been done then and since i released the tension it has gone worse??

Do I need a new neck?

Can the old wenge necks still be aquired??

9. Grgzilla

Grgzilla

Yeah, replacement necks have the same specs & woods as the original iirc. But it probably is fixable if it is indeed cracked. Realeasing the tention shouldnt crack it though. Maybe you're right, that the shop stuffed it by over tightening it.
    Also, what you think is a crack, could just be a raised seam. It's very common on multi laminate necks & easily sanded back to smooth.

10. james brunnning

james brunnning

hard to say for sure but i would try and fix it,, repair the crack if it is one and clean up and make sure the rod is good, put it back together and try it.yyou have the neck so fixing it is the cheapest option i think.a new neck is gonna be big bucks.and if fixed right it will be as good as new.

11. fin

fin

There are two small cracks maybe 40mm long running in the direction of the grain. there is definitely a more hollow sound tapping that area of the neck - sounds like there is a crack running between the two under the surface (not sure if that makes sense).

And It looks like truss rod pressure has caused it.

I have had a look for methods for repairing cracked necks, but they seem to require the crack to be opened up to get the glue in there. I couldn't do that with the crack I have. So not sure how to get a good amount of glue in there before clamping everything down.

I will try and take some pics for you guys to have a look at.

It seems that the neck has no twist so Its got to be worth trying to save it!

12. Grgzilla

Grgzilla

I think ya can drill into the crack at a perpendicular angle to inject glue. Then after drying & removing the clamps, a mixture of sawdust & glue fill a small dowel into each hole you drilled.
    I once watched my father do this to a cracked rifle stock.

13. james brunnning

james brunnning

you need a super thin glue try stewmac they have it.i don't know if this applys to wood.but with metal i drill a small hole at the ends of the crack to stop it.can you flex the neck to make the crack open a bit.i have made cracks slightly larger/wider filled clamped shut with ok results.the repairs seem to have held up.i like to buy cheap broken bass' to practice on.

14. Florin

I've seen basses like that working very well with that crack and not getting worse. I would not mind it untill it is getting worse... I mean the repair man basically will do it worse before repairing it, so why don't you let the time to deal with it?
    :)

15. fin

fin

Thanks for the advice guys,

One question, When putting a 1 way truss rod back in, do you push the rod right the way into the slot as far as it will go, as when I do that the nut at the end of the rod is about 15mm past the jan1 (inside)

cheers

fin.

16. Florin