Thumb NT w/ 35" & in-line headstock?

Reaction score
I was thinking a month ago or so of the perfect bass guitar.
Imagine, a Thumb NT4 w/ the 2band electronics (or even better: just a volume push/pull pot), 35" or even 36" scale lenght and an in-line headstock.
Then, wenge neck and bubinga whatever blah blah body, and you have my dream. Is there someone with photoshop skills that could make a thumb nt w/ inline headstock? I don't even own photoshop so...
I want to know what my dream looks like! Perhaps even making the upper "horn" (don't know the english term for it) a bit longer to prevent it from dipping head first into the floor.
Then I can start mailing the CS guys to tell them to build the perfect bass guitar. :twisted:

Oh, by the way, I'm new here, so don't laugh at me guys, OK? ;)
/Oskar

Mr Praline

Forum Silly Person
Reaction score
Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Mr Praline

Forum Silly Person
Reaction score
I guess you could get the Stryker headstock if you payed for it, still, only 35" and bolt-on.

Reaction score
I don't want the stryker headstock, and I don't want bolt-on. CS is a bunch of [insert foul language], not to build basses completely to customer specifications. :evil: It's called custom shop after all, right? ;)

Mr Praline

Forum Silly Person
Reaction score
I think the obvious answer is a swedish builder starting with U.

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
So you really think you 'll be happy with that bass?

Reaction score
I hate to destroy your dreams Oskar,but there's a couple things the custom shop wont do with your dream bass.They wont do any other headstock other than the Warwick shape,not even the Buzzard or Stryker type on anything other than those basses.The only scale length on NT basses is 34".Long scale is only available for BO's.You have to keep to a standard production model shape.They wont extend the upper horn or deviate from the original in any way.
I thought you should know this so you dont get your hopes up after seeing your baby in a mockup.Maybe our mockup artist extraordinair can build you this beastie.He's starting to build his own basses & I'd imagine would be quite flexible for the right money ;)

Reaction score
I think the obvious answer is a swedish builder starting with U.

If I was in Sweden,& some day,I hope to at least be IN a Swede ;),I'd seriously look at the Unicorn basses.Stunning designs,awesome tone & sanely priced.

Reaction score
I hate to destroy your dreams Oskar,but there's a couple things the custom shop wont do with your dream bass.They wont do any other headstock other than the Warwick shape,not even the Buzzard or Stryker type on anything other than those basses.The only scale length on NT basses is 34".Long scale is only available for BO's.You have to keep to a standard production model shape.They wont extend the upper horn or deviate from the original in any way.
I thought you should know this so you dont get your hopes up after seeing your baby in a mockup.Maybe our mockup artist extraordinair can build you this beastie.He's starting to build his own basses & I'd imagine would be quite flexible for the right money ;)

OK! Thanks. Do you know why they don't want to construct extra long scale NT models? I am not very happy with BO basses for some reason which I am still to discover, so if I would put over 5000€ on a CS bass, I wouldn't like it to be a BO. Besides, the whole BO thing ruins the Thumb shape in a way I don't believe an extended upper horn would do, at least not until I've seen an extended upper horn Thumb bass.
;)

Reaction score
OK! Thanks. Do you know why they don't want to construct extra long scale NT models? I am not very happy with BO basses for some reason which I am still to discover, so if I would put over 5000€ on a CS bass, I wouldn't like it to be a BO. Besides, the whole BO thing ruins the Thumb shape in a way I don't believe an extended upper horn would do, at least not until I've seen an extended upper horn Thumb bass.
;)

A Corvette is kinda like an extended upper horn Thumb bass.;)
The Warwick BO's are excellent basses,with sustain for days,but I agree the Thumb BO is a bit of an ugly beast.Sounds fantastic though.
I dont really know why NT's only come in 34" scale.I guess ya gotta draw the line somewhere.
5000 euros seems a pretty big price for the bass you have in mind.I think it'd be considerably less than that.To find out,you really need a quote from a dealer.Dont take the retail price of an exsisting model,then ad up all the custom options you'd like from the list.A dealer will give you a pretty significant discount.

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Hey Oskar,

May I ask you why do you want a 35" thumb?

I mean I know the answer, but have you tried a regular thumb? They have huge sustain, and piano-like sound anyway. They actually have that 35" sound already (probably because of the neck construction, hard woods and pickup placement) but with the 34" advantages :)
I was a 35" fan myself, for B string's sound, but most of the warwicks are incredible tight.

Reaction score
Hey Oskar,

May I ask you why do you want a 35" thumb?

I mean I know the answer, but have you tried a regular thumb? They have huge sustain, and piano-like sound anyway. They actually have that 35" sound already (probably because of the neck construction, hard woods and pickup placement) but with the 34" advantages :)
I was a 35" fan myself, for B string's sound, but most of the warwicks are incredible tight.

I actually like the 35" way more than the 34" because of the more omnious feel. And, yes, i own a Thumb NT and is very satisfied with everything except for two things: it feels too small, as I'm used to 35" since I learned to play bass. It actually feels more guitar-like than any shortscale bass I've tested. The other thing is: the headstock, I am not a fan of the black plastic/whatever cover on the top of it, I'd like it to be continous wood there.
Oh and yes, the B string is quite tight, but not in the way I want it to be.

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Yeah... The feel is different.
Headstock - we have the Matching Headstock option, so you can have a wood headstock, any wood you like.
You can have a 35" scale bass, but only BO. You can chose a different body shape. As long as you keep the pickup placement, it will sound like the original bass.
I mean.. if you order a bubinga corvette STD , 35" with special pickup molding - pickups placed as in thumb BO 5, you'll have pretty much a kick ass thumb sound, in a 35" bass :)

Reaction score
But it's still a BO! :evil:
... but it's going to be cheaper. Hmm. Will consider this. The custom shop is going to hate me :d

Reaction score
I don't want the stryker headstock, and I don't want bolt-on. CS is a bunch of [insert foul language], not to build basses completely to customer specifications. :evil: It's called custom shop after all, right? ;)

I believe it says "WARWICK Custom Shop"

golem

Philosopher King
Reaction score

Yeah.

If you really need a 35" NT custom Warwick,
you'll just hafta get it from Stuart Spector !

Reaction score
I believe it says "WARWICK Custom Shop"

and ... I read somewhere "Warwick" stands for the sound of wood.
;)
As long as it is a good looking design I don't think they should bother too much as long as it sounds like a warwick. But hey, that's just my opinion.

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Hehe, it is not that simple. The headstock is basically the trade mark of any guitar or bass guitar. Is the most important element of the design that says: Hey! This is a Warwick!
Besides that we make good instruments, we are in competition with the other builders, and we have to protect, and grow our brand.

Top Bottom