Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Thumb NT/BO tone difference.

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by BrickIsRed, Jul 3, 2009.

1. BrickIsRed

BrickIsRed

I was wondering, how much difference in tone is there between the NT and BO? I like how the NT sounds but it's way more expensive.

2. Gerry

Gerry

The clips section or you tube should be able to help with that. We hear different things sometimes. Ebay or the for sale section here can help with the price.;)

3. BrickIsRed

BrickIsRed

Hm, the NT sounds a lot like my Corvette with the pickup balance fully towards the bridge pickup, except a bit more refined. Thumb BO clips don't sound like that at all.

4. vpshockwave

vpshockwave

I really don't see how BO vs. NT would make *that* big of a difference (as in NOTICEABLE difference).

And honestly, clips aren't very reliable because recording setups can easily change the sound of a bass to sound completely different that what they sound like through a full rig or combo amp.

I'd say you need to get one in your hands to really see if you could notice a difference.

5. Mr Rabble

Mr Rabble

It does indeed

6. herb vibes

herb vibes

and a lot say that there were no difference between ovangkol and bubinga too but i don't think so...
    i had a thumb bo4 and the sound compared to my nt4 was a big one!

anyway they are both good basses and everybody has their own opinion.
    for my side or soundtaste the nt rocks the ♣♣♣♣ out of the bo :)

i think this should help you out: http://forum.warwick.de/10-warwick-basses/5966-1-2-3-4-i-declare-thumb-war.html

7. trujo777

trujo777

+1 yes it does!!

8. trujo777

trujo777

I have one of each with the same pickup config and same # of strings. The BO due to the Ovangkol has more mids and more attack is more "in your face" but not as the SS2 psycho type. It cuts through the mix i think better than the NT.

The NT has more sustain, more lows and crispier highs. Still cuts through the mix nicely due to the Ovangkol neck.

The best of 2 worlds is the 2001 LTD with the NT one's woods and BO construction to add attack IMHO. I have had 3 of them but they were all 4 stringers otherwise they would have stayed here.

9. BrickIsRed

BrickIsRed

I think there's a limit to how much a recording setup can change the sound of a bass. I mean, swamped in effects, maybe. But to my ears, a particular bass through one setup still sounds the same as through another setup. I suppose it depends on your ability to differentiate between the tone of the bass and the tone of the amp.

Anyway, I checked out multiple NT clips and multiple BO clips, and my opinion's the same. The NT has much more emphasis on the bridge pickup and is extra bright, while the BO is rounder.

10. trujo777

trujo777

I agree that was an awesome thread the Thumb War by Jeremiah!!! +1 Herb ;)

11. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

I think the thumbs BO and NT, have less differences than - for example Streamers - LX vs SSII.
    I think that because of the pickups being so close to the bridge (I am talking about 5 ers and 6 ers) it has a very specific and extreme sound.
    So my experience is that they sount pretty similar in the mix. The NT one is drier, faster, and more articulated, the BO is rounder, and it has that NT thing... like a human voice coming from the chest, not only from the throat ( like a BO bass)
    Ha! I think this is it! The BO is like a man singing from the throat only, while the NT has some deep chest sound too. Still the same voice.
    I hope it makes some sense :)

12. nbw

nbw

I wonder how much of the difference is actually the pre-amp.(2band vs 3band, but do they really sound the same flat? Many don't..).

13. flipper_gv

flipper_gv

I like to think that ovangkol has more air in its tone than bubinga...

14. hoot!

hoot!

I saw a video where my $$ Vette actually sounded like a Thumb NT. That was... amusing?...

15. Stroud

Stroud

16. trujo777

trujo777

I have had both of those basses you mention and there is NO WAY a $$ Vette can sound like a Thumb B or NT at all man. ;) :|

17. trujo777

trujo777

My Thumb NT has 3 band eq and I upgraded my Thumb BO to a 3 band eq and yes from this I can tell you that the wood does make the difference in their sound. they have the same pickup placement, electronics, eq, and string type (EMPs of course) and sound very different.

18. hoot!

hoot!

Guess YouTube works wonders ;)

19. trujo777

trujo777

... or the bad fidelity of the sounds in those small compressed videos.;) :lol::lol:

I have both Thumbs and also had a Vette $$ and compared them side by side with the same amp in the same volume and settings and they are sooo different. The Vette $$ does not have as much compression in the sound like the Thumbs and of course does not cut through the mix as the Thumbs. Was kinda muddy in the sound.

perhaps...Have you ever tried a Thumb in person ? I would suggest you do that. the first time I did it I loved it so much I ended up keeping it (bought it right in the spot)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2009
  20. hoot!

hoot!

Sadly, I never had a chance. All the guitar shops in my whole country (yes, whole country) are pure crap, you'll never find a Spector, ESP, Gibson basses, not to mention Warwick and high-end brands. I only actually played a Warwick before I bought my $$ once, it was a ProLine and I didn't even got to plug it in :confused:

So I decided not to risk too much and save some of my family's budget by buying a $$ Corvette. " A Warwick is a Warwick afterall" I thought.

I do not at any point regret this purchase, however I'd looove to play a Thumb and I think I'd love it anyway.