Thumb Bo Neck On A Corvette?

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've got an '03 Corvette that needs a new neck. These seem next to impossible to find without going through Warwick directly, and it costs an arm and a leg and takes four months. I found a Thumb BO neck for sale locally, and I'm wondering if that could be a solution to my problem. Has anybody tried this, or have any insight?

Thanks!

RIP

California U.S.A.
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've got an '03 Corvette that needs a new neck. These seem next to impossible to find without going through Warwick directly, and it costs an arm and a leg and takes four months. I found a Thumb BO neck for sale locally, and I'm wondering if that could be a solution to my problem. Has anybody tried this, or have any insight?

Thanks!
If the Bolt pattern is the same, go for it......I've never tried it, but its worth a shot

Just see if you can get your $$$$ back if it doesn't work

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
You will most probably have to plug and redrill. The holes may be in very bad positions for stability, like close to the old ones but placing your neck at a distance of a couple of millimetres from the body, if you know what I mean. The neck pocket size and neck size will almost certainly fit, and fit very well. If I were you I'd take it to a skilled luthier, especially if you aren't sufficiently experienced with woodwork. Unless you don't care about the bass or neck much. :)

Reaction score
i stripped down a 2003 FNA and a 2011 Corvette and the drill holes don't line up but the scale was bang on.

bogg up the neck, re-drill, hope for the best.

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I'm hoping to check out the neck this weekend and get it to my luthier. If this works out, it'll be my first fretless, so I'm really hopeful. Fingers crossed!

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the neck was a 32" scale. Should've confirmed before I wasted the trip. Let me know if you see anything out there!

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
Unfortunately, the neck was a 32" scale. Should've confirmed before I wasted the trip. Let me know if you see anything out there!

I WANT IT (seriously, can you hook me up?)

Reaction score
Update:
I took the bass with the problem neck to another luthier (Dustin at The Trading Musician in Seattle) who came up with a cheap and creative solution. He glued a small wooden shim in the space that had opened between the fingerboard and the neck, and then planed down the fingerboard and first fret. This way, he did not have to force the wood into a shape that it obviously did not want to conform to. The fingerboard certainly still has a warp to it, but it's absolutely playable and most likely stable. And even if it does come apart in a few years, it only cost me 90 bucks!

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
It's good news that you sorted it out in a smart way! Do all the basses around where you live have their fretboards spontaneoulsy unglue from the neck??? ;-)

Top Bottom