Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Thumb 5-string White noise!

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by 72jazz, Dec 9, 2009.

1. projectapollo

projectapollo

I ordered from electronic parts supplier Digi-Key, 800-344-4539. Part numbers TL072CN and TL074CN.

Curious to see if you get the same result. Remember, the noise level was reduced, not eliminated. But much better.

2. 72jazz

72jazz

Yahoo! Parts is parts!

Hey p.a., thanks for the info! Hopefully soon it'll be a better sounding New Year....thanks so much. This is indeed a great forum to be a part of, and it's the members that make it so! Henry!

3. 72jazz

72jazz

Projectapollo ie; p.a......

Afternoon all! Hey p.a., I ordered the parts last night, came to a total with shipping of around $6.50 or so! Now, as I'm not a tech or anything even close, did these two parts just come straight out with the use of needlenose pliers? I'm hoping to do this myself, and it seemed to be easy based on how you described it....just want to be sure I'm doing the right thing!
    And was also told that they already had a newer part # for TL074CN! It is 497-2205-5-ND! So hope that is all good, should be here in about 5 days!

So please let me know what you did, and we thank you kindly, Henry!

4. projectapollo

projectapollo

The needlenose pliers worked well to remove the old chips. I just paid attention to their orientation when coming out - a little dimple on one end. I had to bend the new chip's pins closer together as they were a bit too wide to fit the socket. Then they went right in. That was it. Plugged and played!!

5. 72jazz

72jazz

White Noise.....Still!

Hey all Today I received my two op-amps, noted the orientation of same while taking the old ones out and.....with the new ones in I still have the same noise at about the same level/output!

So, now what may be my course of action? Luckily it only cost me about $6.50 for the parts! So......? Henry!

6. 72jazz

72jazz

Well!

Hey all, Henry here! The white noisemaster! I took the 97' to another person who's wife is a Warwick player; she's had 4 so far, and he works on them. And he has told me that it sounds like the treble pot needs to be changed out, and he'll shield the control cavity with 2-sided copper tape...these are things that Florin had mentioned early on, so now that I've found someone who has a good working knowledge of these basses, within 5 days I hope to have good results!

And with a new set of La Bella Super Steps, I have hopes of a real good sound soon! I've not played this bass since purchase as a result of our friendly-neighborhood white noise.....so I really can't wait!

Stay tuned......

7. projectapollo

projectapollo

Keep me posted on the treble pot success. My chip replacement did reduce the hiss but did not eliminate it.

I used the '97 Thumb NT bass a church for the first time 2 weeks ago (900 seat auditorium) direct into the PA -- and the sound guys did not notice any hiss!! The bass did sound teriffic, too. I find that if I play with a light touch it has a very appealing warm sound. Then dig in just a bit and you get the edge of the growl. The upper registers on this bass are like no other that I have ever had the opportunity to play -- very very musical, singing tone, adding a touch of vibrato with the left hand just sounds professional. I sound better than I am. Cool.

8. 72jazz

72jazz

Thumb Thump!

Hey "p.a.", Henry here! Just wondering where you fellowship. I'm also a church-going lad. I'm the worship leader at a church in southeastern ct. I play a Taylor 314ce normally on Sundays. Haven't been able to "man the bass chair" in a few years now.

Still waiting on Mr. Luthier to do his magic. Will have a full report on his findings, hopefully this week! :eek:

9. Josh Emmons

Josh Emmons

Wow. i have a thumb and an old tko also, i also get that white noise