Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

This Old Geezer Is Taking Bass Lessons Starting Next Week!

Discussion in 'Music Education - Share your knowledge here!' started by DiMarco, Aug 25, 2020.

1. UK Ken

UK Ken

Im enjoying this thread, thanks for sharing.

2. DiMarco

DiMarco nutcase Good Vibe Sponsor

This just dropped on the doormat. We'll get to this in good time. First get a good foundation to build upon. Patients are asked to be patient.

Until then, full speed ahead!

20200915_130359.jpg

Bassist4Eris and Nachobassman like this.
  3. DiMarco

So lesson three. Brought the book, asked teacher to take it with him to see if there's any methods or other practical stuff in there for my future lessons.
    I brought my old Roland Basscube RX because that has a built in metronome/rhythmbox we can use to get things in the pocket once I can play it.

Am I being a demanding student? Maybe. But I should accept myself for what I am. A nutcase with a brain and a mission.

First thing I played all the 7 chords up the C major scale. Then down the major scale. No problems there. I have practiced a lot this week.
    Then by my own request, we worked on playing the chord toness reversed. I want my muscle memory to be able to do this. This was HARD!
    So that will be a focal point for the coming days. Playing the melodic chord tones both forward and backward moving both up and down the scale.

Then we worked on the scale itself. Playing two and three thirds starting from all the notes in the scale. Both across the four strings (I HAVE FIVE meaning I can do this at several positions. Five string basses rooooool!!!), across the neck on one string and across the neck on two strings.

In the coming week I will try to learn this while playing fluid, in both directions so up and down.
    Once that is done we'll start doing the same in the other 6 modes of the major scale (same notes, different starting points in the sequence).

It is all a lot to take in, but teacher is so far impressed with how fast we're moving. And we should because I am practicing my butt off.

Bassist4Eris likes this.
  4. DiMarco

Oh and without practicing much, my doublethumb now actually sounds like a doublethumb. Not some muffled crap.
    Will still need to learn applying the technique musically though... but there's progress!

EPBBass likes this.
  5. DiMarco

Skipped one week because of my daughter having a fever and being tested for covid last week.
    During the extra week I decided to start working on the seven modes of the major scale in order to get these into my muscle memory.

Yesterday I showed up for my 4th lesson, which turned out to be about me learning the modes which I had already done on my own.
    While playing these modes as arpeggios my left hand technique started to show some serious trouble.

Grabbing a minor third with the pinky, especially when coming back from the higher degrees is hard for my left hand to pull off.
    Partly because I never flexed those muscles, partly because my thumb positioning behind the neck is too close to the index finger rather then the middle finger which does not allow the pinky to apply much pressure on the strings easily. In the past decades I have been cheating by grabbing those minor thirds with my index finger on the next string, moving my hand two frets down the neck. This is now proving to be a problem because I can't pull that off quick enough.

I have been given a set of practice routines to get this physical movement going, one of them being @Florin 's spider movement practice thingie.
    Also I have been told to WARM UP before starting these flexibility training exercises in order to not destroy my hands or develop carpal tunnel syndrome.

THIS IS GOING TO BE TOUGH (and painful) since I have been doing it wrong for 30 years. Wish me luck!

Once the left hand is running smooth we'll start work on developing more speed in my right hand, which is also pulling funny stuff at times.

As a sidetrack, the doublethumbing is still slowly progressing. I have started playing simple lines on a single string and incorporating some plucking notes with the index and middle fingers while doublethumbing. Slowly but surely..... Problem is the calluses on my right hand fingers are at the top of my fingertips. When plucking while doublethumbing you use the side of your fingertips instead of the top. I will need callus to grow there because right now stuff is hurting my fingers within 30 seconds or so... Practice practice practice.

Having a real BASS teacher is so good! Within a year or maybe two I will be one badass bass player!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    UK Ken and EPBBass like this.
  6. DiMarco

Bass teacher is becoming a dad any of these days now, we're skipping on lessons for a couple of weeks.
    Meanwhile here's Rick with stuff to watch for those wanting to learn:

UK Ken likes this.
  7. eyvindwa

eyvindwa

Interesting to follow your progression in this, @DiMarco !

Now, THIS old geezer has signed up for (online) cello lessons - should be interesting!

PaulS and DiMarco like this.
  8. DiMarco

Ooh nice! A cello is tuned in fifths, correct? That might bring about some unexpected melodies.

9. eyvindwa

eyvindwa

Correct! I bought one for myself at the start of the year, and had one lesson with a teacher before the pandemic set in. Since then, progress has been terrible, so I hope this online thing works out :)

10. DiMarco

I still play 30-90 minutes every day by the way, working my way through the seven modes of the major scale using different patterns and fingering. Everything to simply become more flexible and able to play faster without thinking.
    The 'flying pinky' on my left hand is starting to improve and isn't half as effing flappy as it used to. I also seem to grab any patterns far more easily then I used to.

One problem that still keeps rearing up its ugly head is the position of my thumb behind the neck. When moving fast up and down the neck between positions, the thumb wantss to reset to where it always was - behind the index finger instead of the middle finger. This still happens as much as it did before I took any lessons and is proving a real bitch to grow out of.

Tonights task: Play all the modes across just one string. This will Allow me to get a feel for their (Whole - Half) patterns:
    You can easily do this in Ionian since that's the natural major scale, your ears already know that one.
    To play the other ones without thinking is much harder though. Developing a feel for them and recognizing them by ear will be very valuable.

Ionian W W H W W W H
    Dorian W H W W W H W
    Phrygian H W W W H W W
    Lydian W W W H W W H
    Mixo W W H W W H W
    Aeolian W H W W H W W
    Locrian H W W H W W W

11. DiMarco

YAY my bass teacher has a beautiful baby boy. Just saw a photo, very adorable.

In the meantime I am looking to keep progressing on my own so was scourging the toob for useful stuff and oh boy...
    Just came across this AWESOME video by Scott Devine. Decided it is something I must share for the sake of applied knowledge!

This one is about not sounding boring:

Stainless likes this.
  12. Bademeister

Bademeister

Jens
    thanks for sharing your journey, Marco - really interesting. As an SBL member, I started his Harmonic Layering course about two months ago. The first few hours are all about learning the alphabet (arpeggios, scales / modes...), but in a pretty stupid / mechanical way without talking about the application. Or I havenā€˜t reached that part of the course, yet. This video was a good outlook on what is to come. I am still wondering if I will ever be able to use that stuff to improvise 2 min of E minor pentatonic in Geezer Butler style during the guitar solo or if the application is more related to a jazz context...

DiMarco likes this.