Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

This Old Geezer Is Taking Bass Lessons Starting Next Week!

Discussion in 'Music Education - Share your knowledge here!' started by DiMarco, Aug 25, 2020.

1. UK Ken

UK Ken

Im enjoying this thread, thanks for sharing.

2. DiMarco

DiMarco nutcase Good Vibe Sponsor

This just dropped on the doormat. We'll get to this in good time. First get a good foundation to build upon. Patients are asked to be patient.

Until then, full speed ahead!

20200915_130359.jpg

Nachobassman likes this.
  3. DiMarco

So lesson three. Brought the book, asked teacher to take it with him to see if there's any methods or other practical stuff in there for my future lessons.
    I brought my old Roland Basscube RX because that has a built in metronome/rhythmbox we can use to get things in the pocket once I can play it.

Am I being a demanding student? Maybe. But I should accept myself for what I am. A nutcase with a brain and a mission.

First thing I played all the 7 chords up the C major scale. Then down the major scale. No problems there. I have practiced a lot this week.
    Then by my own request, we worked on playing the chord toness reversed. I want my muscle memory to be able to do this. This was HARD!
    So that will be a focal point for the coming days. Playing the melodic chord tones both forward and backward moving both up and down the scale.

Then we worked on the scale itself. Playing two and three thirds starting from all the notes in the scale. Both across the four strings (I HAVE FIVE meaning I can do this at several positions. Five string basses rooooool!!!), across the neck on one string and across the neck on two strings.

In the coming week I will try to learn this while playing fluid, in both directions so up and down.
    Once that is done we'll start doing the same in the other 6 modes of the major scale (same notes, different starting points in the sequence).

It is all a lot to take in, but teacher is so far impressed with how fast we're moving. And we should because I am practicing my butt off.

4. DiMarco

Oh and without practicing much, my doublethumb now actually sounds like a doublethumb. Not some muffled crap.
    Will still need to learn applying the technique musically though... but there's progress!

EPBBass likes this.