Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

This is something i think about often

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by Nightmaresandconclusions, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Nightmaresandconclusions

Nightmaresandconclusions

If you were lucky enought to work for warwick i wonder if you would be allowed to build your own custom bass using their equipment and do it during your lunch break or after hours? Just not allowed to use the "W" logo. I also think what happens to all the prototype basses that are made before a new model is born or prototypes that never made it to production. Where do they go??

2. JSmith

JSmith

Coming from a manufacturing background in the store fixture and ready-to-assemble office furniture industry I'd say the answer to your first question would be "NO". The machines used to make these instruments and the tooling they use is not cheap and therefore are usually in production service at all times. Not to mention the risk of damage during non production times. I would not want to be the guy making personal projects if a machine went down.

To answer your other question, the prototypes probably stay in house and are kept as in house example units.

Curious to hear an official answer though.

3. Nightmaresandconclusions

Nightmaresandconclusions

yeah i get it, but you know 5 Axis wood working machine you could surly draw up your custom shape in Cad import then Bam!! ha ha. I know this is most likely pipe dreams but imagine!! ha ha Next day at your lunch break do a bit of hand sanding, get all the components at staff price, theres a whole pile of Necks kicking around.. Perfect!

I would move to Germany to work at Warwick.

Hey Hans, PM me.

4. DiMarco

DiMarco nutcase Good Vibe Sponsor

I think early prototypes might be (partly) hand built since you can then make decisions and adjustments as you go. I might be wrong though, maybe I'm an oldfashioned geezer.

5. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

Hey Carl,

I remember our forum friend Alexander - he always wanted to work on his personal project at home, but he never did it... So I guess the answer is - no, you cannot use the factory for personal projects, and I guess, after you leave the factory, the last thing you want to do is build other basses :)

I guess if you would start working for Warwick, they would become in time YOUR basses, and you will love them like your basses, and put all your dedication in Warwick basses. This is how Warwick works anyway, all of them are really passionate about being in this wonderful family.
    The prototypes... are there. Most of them are made from plywood, or cheap wood, just to have proportions.
    Interesting thing about Custom Shop, they are actually building not one, but TWO bassses, so they will learn from the first bass.

How cool is that?

6. shaftbass

shaftbass

Chris
    Does Warwick need any IT personnel? :)

7. boston asphalt2

boston asphalt2 Official Forum Pain in the Ass

Whatever happened to Alexander???

8. TechJunky

TechJunky

At my plant, even though we have more specialty equipment which wouldn't be of much use for personal matters to most, the answer would still be no. Too much liability in letting someone use it for non-company approved work. In the event something went wrong, something broke, someone got injured, it would cause all sorts of legal issues. I would assume most companies are like ours in that there are policies written explicitly forbidding improper/personal use of company equipment.

On top of that, as stated previously as well, I'm sure if your job was to build a bass all day, no matter how enjoyable that may be, when it's time for a break you'll want to take that break. Even if you're working on stuff like that at home, you don't do it 100% of the time. You take breaks as you work.

9. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

He left the company, and moved to France, where all the good food and wine is. I miss him, he was a good friend and forum buddy.

10. Grgzilla

Grgzilla

Pausing a production line in any big factory costs a fortune. For that price you could get Jens Ritter to build you half a dozen of anything that takes your fancy. & Mr. Ritter does not work cheap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk